PIC ADDED - My Best Ebay Buy Ever - 1935 Goudey Babe Ruth Style !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mintman2

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150681215419?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I've boght about 75 cards from this seller and have had several conversations with him so when I saw this card I gave him a call. My biggest concerns were authenticity and trimming (the corners looked too good to be true) but he assured me if I sent it to psa and it came back as nonauthentic or altered he'd refund my purchase price.

Don't have it in hand yet, it's in the mail, but psa graded it a 5 ! Total cost $320 and 5's sell in the 1k range. I'm not in danger of not being able to pay my bills at the moment so even though it doesn't "fit" my collection I'm going to hold onto it as it's a cool card to own. Shoot, how many people have one, graded or not.

I also got a grading education from a VERY NICE psa rep. I called because as nice as the corners are and I looked it over with a 10x magnifier I couldn't believe it only got a 5. Turns out a barely perceptible surface wrinkle or wax/gum mark could knock down the grade that far AND if on the back has the same significance like it would on the front. Arrrrggghhhh, I didn't even look at the back with the loop. AND she said at least three people look at the card and are especially vigilant with vintage. I'm happy with the grade it received but she told me to get out my loop again, look at both sides, straight on and at an angle, and if not convinced to call her back.

Last edited:
Evidence that if you don't know how to sell on ebay, it can cost you dearly. I see links to this type of auction all of the time. Terrible digital photo, poor feedback rating and poor spelling/grammar make this type of auction a risk at best. Obviously if PSA graded it, it's real (or they made a mistake, it could happen), so you got a very sweet deal.

I'm sure that auction was dismissed by many viewers as a likely reprint due to the conditions I noted above. Sometimes it pays to take a chance.

Evidence that if you don't know how to sell on ebay, it can cost you dearly. I see links to this type of auction all of the time. Terrible digital photo, poor feedback rating and poor spelling/grammar make this type of auction a risk at best. Obviously if PSA graded it, it's real (or they made a mistake, it could happen), so you got a very sweet deal.

I'm sure that auction was dismissed by many viewers as a likely reprint due to the conditions I noted above. Sometimes it pays to take a chance.

That's why I called the guy. If I didn't know him I might have put the card on my watch list but certainly wouldn't have bid.

Seems to be a pretty nice guy but hasn't a clue regarding online selling. I've made suggestions but I think he'd be better suited for in person sales at a show or in a store setting.

I noticed he is in Bellingham, WA. Not too far North from me. Maybe I better contact him and head up to his place to see what else he has hidden away.;)

Ed (Worldwideed) is even closer!

Probably the best looking 5 you'll ever see. Beautiful corners/edges, no print marks and not the smallest hint of even a slight paper wrinkle. Likely it would have been a 7 or 8 but roller marks on the front knocked it down. They're especially visible on the yellow portion. If visible to the naked eye you know psa is gonna kill you and unfortunately they're not confined to just the yellow section.

1935ruth.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats on the grade! You could easily triple or even quadruple your money! Goes to show how badly a poor listing can hurt you as a seller.

For the price, you gotta be happy! If you don't have any special love for vintage or that card or even having a Ruth, a flip is prime on that deal.

If I saw that card raw, by that seller, I would have assumed reprint.