Player Collecting Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubsfan203

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
So I wanted a challenge when I started collecting Lou Brock, but up until now I didn't realize how much of a challenge I was getting myself into. Take a look at these numbers.

-Lou Brock has 2,212 baseball cards out according to Beckett.
-1,664 are Serial Numbered (~450 1/1's, over 1,250 #'d to 25 or less, 1,550 to 100 or less)
-925 of those are Game Used/Worn cards (~225 of these are 1/1's, 650 are numbered to <25)
-695 of those are Autographs (~200 are 1/1's, ~600 #'d to <50)

That is just INSANE. Over 20% of his cards are 1/1's. Over 40% of them are game used. Over 30% are autographs. Over 70% of them are numbered to 100 or less.

I'm going to have to seriously reconsider collecting him. Here I was proud of the fact that I already have 11 autographs and 15 game used, then I see those numbers and it really deflated my hopes of being a super collector. I'm making $10/hr right now, there is no way I have the kind of money it would take to reach that point.

You don't have to have every card of a player to have a great collection. Collect who you enjoy. Forget about completing the checklist.

I can see both sides, but I will say that if Mookie Wilson ever had those stats I would still collect him no matter what. Just do what you enjoy, it is a hobby after all.

My personal stance is that counting the 1/1 is a little crazy. If I happen to get one - bonus! But, I would eliminate the 1/1 from that number and see if it becomes a little more manageable. Just my .02

for by brooks robinson, jim palmer and frank robinson collections(all who have basically over 3000 cards), i just weed out all the really hard to find ones, and just go for the afforadable ones, still gets a chance on getting over 1000+ cards for each

rob

Every decent player now has 1000s of different cards, with 100s as 1/1s. You just have to set a line for your own personal collection and collect within that line. None of us will ever get all of a players cards who is anyone of significance (meaning guys with a couple 100 cards or less and few 1/1s will be tough, but possible). The odds are nearly impossible when you are facing 1000s of cards and 100s of 1/1s. Even if you had unlimited funds, the very first time someone socks away a card you need (1/1) into their collection, you are done (unless is leaves the collection, which most will do EVENTUALLY...BUT WILL YOU OUTLIVE THOSE EVENTUALLYS THOUGH?)

Even w/o 1/1s, some of the lower print run cards are scarce and some oddball items never seem to surface.

Collect what makes you enjoy the hobby or it will burn you out and frustrate you to the point of quitting.

I'm a set collector...because trying to collector the Frank Thomas (retired) or Joe Mauer or Justin Morneau major cards would cost to much. Best regards, David

So I wanted a challenge when I started collecting Lou Brock, but up until now I didn't realize how much of a challenge I was getting myself into. Take a look at these numbers.

-Lou Brock has 2,212 baseball cards out according to Beckett.
-1,664 are Serial Numbered (~450 1/1's, over 1,250 #'d to 25 or less, 1,550 to 100 or less)
-925 of those are Game Used/Worn cards (~225 of these are 1/1's, 650 are numbered to <25)
-695 of those are Autographs (~200 are 1/1's, ~600 #'d to <50)

That is just INSANE. Over 20% of his cards are 1/1's. Over 40% of them are game used. Over 30% are autographs. Over 70% of them are numbered to 100 or less.

I'm going to have to seriously reconsider collecting him. Here I was proud of the fact that I already have 11 autographs and 15 game used, then I see those numbers and it really deflated my hopes of being a super collector. I'm making $10/hr right now, there is no way I have the kind of money it would take to reach that point.

There are a lot of quirks with player collecting. Just do what you can to enjoy it. I piece together some Dan Gladden stuff here and there, and it's almost the opposite. I lost my master checklist from when I subscribed to Beckett, but the bulk of his cards were .05-.25 Beckett value. Makes it seem like a waste to spend .80-$1.25 postage to trade for a .15 card, and he had a Topps rookie cup /3 that I found a copy online for $25. Not nearly as tough to get close to complete, I'd just be into it for many times BV, which is already often inflated over actual cash value. In the end it boils down to just enjoying what you have and the thrill of finding things you don't

For my Ryan Miller Collection there are 160 1/1's so far and most of his other cards are #'d as well. Since I started collecting him in August 2010 I have 258 different cards and just focus the cards that I can find and he is still playing and with 2 new releases last week it added 34 more cards to his checklist and atleast 4 more hockey sets are due out this year that he should be in. I just look at it this way I go after what I can and don't go after the items that I know I can't afford at this time and then down the road hopefully I will be able to fill in the gaps.

With my Pat Burrell collection, I decided that I am not going to chase cards numbered to 10 or less. If I get one, cool. If not, bo big deal. I have over 1,300 cards so far but still need close to 750 to have all that fall into my parameters. It has been really tough to find any cards recently as I only chase autos on ebay. Have fun!!!!

This is exactly what I do. I've eliminated 1/1s from my checklist and consider them a bonus. I collect Mattingly, so you can imagine how pricey 1/1s can be.

-J

My personal stance is that counting the 1/1 is a little crazy. If I happen to get one - bonus! But, I would eliminate the 1/1 from that number and see if it becomes a little more manageable. Just my .02

Having a stock pile of autographs of a HOFer is never a bad thing, you may want to revise your goals like others are saying. Obviously true 1/1's are pricey and hard to find. If you can best offer someone and get one in your budget, you can atleast say you own 1 and go on collecting the more regular issue cards.

I'm still dillusional and think I can get every card (even though I know I can't in the back of my mind). But to the point of player collecting, get what you can. To use a cliche, this is a marathon not a sprint. You may not have funds to obtain everything at this time. In the future, the story could be a lot different.