Printing Plates and condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daniml292

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
I've been thinking about card condition a lot today and my mind wandered to printing plates. I've had the pleasure of pulling 4 printing plates over the years and I've always wondered, do they follow the same rules for condition as regular cards? Or does the fact that they've been used for printing, excuse them from the condition rules? Myself, I've always found that it adds more to the allure of the card showing wear and would expect to see it. I'm curious as to what you other collector's think? Would you rather have a flat printing plate with minimal wear, or is it ok to have the bent corners? Or does it even matter?

I've never thought it matters much...it's an actual plate that was used to print tons of cards, it's not going to be mint. I have a decent number of them in my personal collection and whenever one arrives dented I don't think much of it. One exception would be if the sticker on the back was messed up somehow.

When I had my Giambi collection, I had various plates in various conditions, some with ink still on them and some cleaner than a whistle. Each one I loved as they were different and unique. Some were dented, some were pristine. Didn't care either way! LOL!

:D
Jason

I just wonder how many of these plates are fake though. The reason I say this is, I used to make plaques for wholesale to the local card shops. I had a guy who made my nameplates for me. And he could buy all kinds of the metals, just like what those plates are, and print photos onto them. With photoshop, you could make them in magenta, yellow, black, and such.

I have seen guys walking around at shows, back in the day (like 10 years ago) before plates were cool, and selling metal "printing plates" of historical event newspapers. But they also had some printed up with multiple articles of certain players on one sheet, poster size. And they had multiples of each.

The only thing that saves these printing plates today are those stickers, and we all know how those have been faked, and/or peeled from one and transferred to another. I was trying to locate the seller on ebay, as there is one from Tiawan, who has been listing a ton of printing plates, all 1/1s naturally, but says they don't have any stickers or such. Most he said came from Fleer bankruptcy, which I don't believe Fleer used stickers. But he had tons and tons of them, all big name stars. And had others that weren't Fleer.

I can say I have only pulled one, and that thing was a clean as a whistle. It actually made me think back to the days of my engraver, and how simple it was for him to print. It looked perfect, as if it was never used for anything. Just printed onto the metal stock, cut out, and placed into a pack for us to find.

I've actually always doubted the veracity of these also. They just seem fake and manufactured to me. A cute idea, but somehow I doubt they're the "actual" plates.

One of the problems with the Fleer bankruptcy is that a ton of stuff flooded into the market that wound up on all sorts of unusual stuff. I remember them selling off sheets of sticker autos from all sorts of guys.

I've always thought that the printing plate is in a category of its' own. Being billed as the ACTUAL printing plate used to make the card, it's bound to show some wear, some ink stains and the such, which is what I would like to see on the plates anyways.

In regards to the veracity of them, until proven otherwise, my assumption is that they're the real deal. But I do understand the concerns, as I have also asked myself whether they're real or not. I've got some plates that are flat and look brand new, and I've got others that have ink all over them. Some are reverse negative and some are not. Questions are there, but I hope Topps (all of mine are from bowman) would not just print up plates for the sake of an insert. But, in this hobby, anything is possible. LOL Thanks to all for the replies!

most are real...and actually used...and beat all to crap as well....good thing about the newer ones are they are marked on the back by Topps or whoever as real...probably a few Fleer fakes floating around though.