Printing Plates on Ebay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

otgoal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Who knows what prompted me to look it up, but I looked on Ebay to see the breakdown of cyan, yellow, magenta and black 1/1 printing plates sold and for sale.
One would think the breakdown would be about 25% per, give or take.
Totaling each one, the numbers are as follows:

Cyan: 328 (30%)
Black: 315 (29%)
Yellow: 255 (23%)
Magenta: 204 (18%)

Why would there be about 60% more cyan than magenta sold or for sale? Are people keeping the magenta?

Just to make sure they weren't being listed under another color (red or blue for example) I checked those and found none or a negligible amout.

I just wonder why there are so fewer magenta and more cyan and black listed.

Here are my Plates Broken down:
Maddux Plates:

Black 6
Cyan 3
Magenta 3
Yellow 4

Derrek Lee Plates:
Black 3
Cyan 4
Magenta 4
Yellow 0

I wonder what the stats would say if you broke those numbers down by card company?:)

Topps, about the same.
Cyan: 132 (30%)
Black: 132 (30%)
Yellow: 103 (24%)
Magenta: 69 (16%)

Just seems way too skewed for an anomoly.

Here's a theory, maybe the some of the magenta plates didn't have enough detail and were tossed..................The opposite color is green, so who knows? Very interesting topic though.................

Here is my break down:

Nomar
Black 14
Yellow 10
Cyan 10
Magenta 8

Ted Lilly
Black 4
Yellow 4
Cyan 2
Magenta 3

Did you search just the auction titles? If so, you'll notice that the shorter the color name, the more that showed up. Since eBay limits the number of characters you can put in the title, many sellers with magenta plates probably just left the color out of the title as they ran out of room. Just a theory.

My kazmir plates
Yellow 5
Magenta 3
Cyan 3
Black 1 and one on hold at the card store

My 19 other plates I have for trade..
Yellow 5
Magenta 6
Cyan 0
Black 8

Who knows what prompted me to look it up, but I looked on Ebay to see the breakdown of cyan, yellow, magenta and black 1/1 printing plates sold and for sale.
One would think the breakdown would be about 25% per, give or take.
Totaling each one, the numbers are as follows:

Cyan: 328 (30%)
Black: 315 (29%)
Yellow: 255 (23%)
Magenta: 204 (18%)

Why would there be about 60% more cyan than magenta sold or for sale? Are people keeping the magenta?

Just to make sure they weren't being listed under another color (red or blue for example) I checked those and found none or a negligible amout.

I just wonder why there are so fewer magenta and more cyan and black listed.

Probably just a random blip. It's a pretty small sample size when you think about it. 1100 plates listed and a 250 card set would have 1000 just by itself. Multiply that by the dozens of sets out there with plates released and it is a drop in the bucket. Have you checked Sportlots, checkoutmycards.com, Naxcom, Dave and Adam's, etc? Could be you'd find different results. Just a quick 'print plate' search on Burbank sports cards site got me 16 hits: 8 magenta 3 yellow, 3 black, 1 cyan, 1 color not listed. Almost the opposite of ebay.