Purchased fake Stafford prime patch SP Auth Football via eBay...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beyestone

Bench Warmer
I thought it might be useful to let people know about a recent experience I had in purchasing from a particular eBay seller.

I'm almost done completing my 2009 SP Authentic Football set and had needed the Matthew Stafford Rookie Authentic Auto Patch (/499) among a few other cards. I had already busted 3 cases and didn't plan on buying any more cases/boxes. So I went on eBay to round out the rest.

With the Stafford card, I won this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...181444&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

It came, looked fine to me, and I left positive feedback.

Today, I was alerted by another eBay user that the seller of this item is notorious for selling sports card where he cuts/rips out the original game-used jersey/patch swatch from the card and then "upgrades" it with a fake prime patch.

So I looked at it more closely. There is tampering/discoloration all along the silver foil border that that holds the patch. I gave a weak tug to the patch itself... it came right up (no tearing, no glue holding it down). There was no glue on the back of it, yet the card showed evidence that the original patch had been cut and then torn from it previously. A couple of layers of cardstock had been ripped out... yet none of these layers were on the back of the patch that had been swapped in.

Upon glancing at this seller's current auctions, it's very clear what's going on...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZufjumper7QQhtZ-1

Needless to say, it's been reported to eBay and we'll see what happens. But I definitely wanted to get word out to fellow collectors that might be watching any of those auctions that they might want to be extremely wary (especially since all of those auctions are as prime as patches get and I only got 1 prime patch per case opening them myself...).

Thanks for reading and I hope nobody else get scammed.

File a claim with Paypal that the card was damaged/severely not as described. Claim that the Patch was damaged and it fell out. You will win your money back. Be sure to rip the guy's feedback AFTER you get your money back.

Tim

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. This is why a lot of fake patchers like to use private auctions. You were lucky someone was out to help you. There's almost always evidence when a gu swatch has been altered. I've even had this happen where a white swatch was replaced with a gray swatch and the seller was completely oblivious to the exchange.

Massive thread/exposé on this seller is going on over at another board. Seems like a few people have reported the active items and that there's a lot of evidence in the sellers buying/selling history to really nail them to the wall. I've already escalated the claim and submitted the auction evidence where this woman purchased cards and modified/flipped them around (on the same account!).

I keep you guys up on how it shakes out for me. I'm mainly just disappointed that some people try to take a hobby that is still based on FUN for a lot of us and take a big dump on it like this.

Here's that thread...

http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1072254

p.s. Perhaps the Bench community would be well served to have a section near the bad sellers/traders section concerning questionable eBay accounts/sellers? I don't know how rampant/common this sort of thing is, but I feel like when it happens, it would be good to have a spot to report it and keep honest collectors from being taken. Just a thought - you can of course do whatever you feel is best for the flow of the board.

No worries, I can take the jokes surrounding this situation.

Also, the seller is actually a woman. There's some boards that already posted all of her personal info (address, #, who she's engaged to, employer, etc.). I've got a feeling today is going to get really interesting.

p.s. Perhaps the Bench community would be well served to have a section near the bad sellers/traders section concerning questionable eBay accounts/sellers? I don't know how rampant/common this sort of thing is, but I feel like when it happens, it would be good to have a spot to report it and keep honest collectors from being taken. Just a thought - you can of course do whatever you feel is best for the flow of the board.

i think its common enough that you don't have a bad idea at all. I think it would be really helpful.

David -

Yeah, it kinda makes me only want to buy 1 color patches if I need them for a set at this point... such a shame.

Other boards have been posting an insane amount of information about the people involved here and local police are now involved. If anyone on the Bench needs info, just let me know.

Thanks!

No worries, I can take the jokes surrounding this situation.

Also, the seller is actually a woman. There's some boards that already posted all of her personal info (address, #, who she's engaged to, employer, etc.). I've got a feeling today is going to get really interesting.

I could be wrong, but I would guess that "he" is using a woman alias as well. I mean, if he fakes patches at this level, he is probably doing all he can to conceal his real identity as well.

Good luck to you - I hope you are able to nail him to the wall.

Tim

Thanks man. There's a bunch of folks going after this person/people, so it's nice to not be alone in getting actual results in this matter.

According to this thread:
http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1072254

These are the people involved with that account:

myspace.com/hjumper
facebook.com/profile.php?id=2042589

The "jumper" in her online names come from her being an involved with horses (equestrian).

Parents:
Lyndel W Scheibly, Brenda L Scheibly
5123 NE Third Ave
Ocala, FL 34479-7636
(352) 629-3171
Sister:
Amanda

Engaged to James Adkins.
139 Moody Hollow Rd
Powell, TN 37849
(865) 945-4333

Marriage is in May.
They are registered here:
amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html?tag=wwwweddingcha-20&type=wedding&id=1PP43NPIRZBF7

Last edited:
ya that guy has been doing that for years there is alot of ppl contacting ebay about tampering and the proof has been sent to the president of ebay but they will do nothing about it bc he brings them a constant revenue there are guys talking about if on scf and topps forum

Right on. I linked the SCF thread... that seems to be the one where everyone is really motivated and doing some things. I guess the woman tied to the account is meeting with Alachua detectives tonight.

Do you have the link to the Topps thread?

The McFadden and Sanchez just got taken down.

Thanks to the legwork the others have put in, if you've been taken by this seller, you can also call and report it to Deputy Siem in Alachua at 352.955.1818

Some of the folks are saying this all constitutes mail fraud. I'm going to put together my facts/transaction details tonight and pass it along to Alachua tomorrow. Can't hurt.

UPDATE:

The McFadden and Sanchez cards have been moved to another eBay account (ebark23) and priced to move quickly. This implicates an actual storefront given the account!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370356023797#ht_1536wt_941

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370356025627#ht_1536wt_941

JAMES ADKINS (the guy behind all of this) can now be reached at his store's number below. People can also report the store/Mr. Adkins to the BBB and other authorities accordingly.

SPORTS TREASURES, LLC
4819 North Broadway Street Northeast
Knoxville, TN 37918-1708 -
(865) 688-2273