Question for team auto collectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellis Shoe

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Hi guys, I am trying to get my Braves autos more organized and I am trying to make a decision. I am thinking of only heavily going after the Atlanta Braves. Therefore I was going to take everyone who played prior to 1966 off the list unless they carried over or if I already have their auto. Mainly this is for two reasons...I know I am unlikely to get any of those Boston guys from early 1900's and late 1800's, and two I became a fan of them as the Atlanta Braves obviously. Anyone have any thoughts on this either way is appreciated.

Thanks!

I collect the Baltimore Orioles and do not collect the St. Louis Browns. The Browns moved to Baltimore in 1954 and became the Orioles.

I would say just collect the Atlanta Braves.

I collect the Expos, but avoid Nats stuff at all costs! :)

I also collect Edmonton Oilers, but don't do guys from the WHA days... unless like for you they carried over.

like you said, you are an ATLANTA Braves fan... so just stick with that!

OK, thanks for the input. That is defintely the way I was leaning but just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Again, thanks for the input.

me personally I am just going for the 08 ALCS Rays roster. It hold signifigance for my team and I am trying to obtain every player on an OML ball. This is a much more focused collecting goal for me as my time and funds limits what I can get :)

That sounds like an ambitious project. How many different players played during that time?? I would try to collect just the Atlanta players. You could always expand later. Butch

I can help out with a few on that list:

Paul Casanova (Braves Card)
Ken Griffey (Braves Card)
Graig Nettles (Braves Card)
Billy Sample (Braves Card)
Frank Tepedino (Braves Card)
Rick Cerone (Non Braves Card)
Steve Lyons (Non Braves Card)
Melvin Nieves (Non Braves Card, Index Card)
Antonio Alfonseca (Index Card)
Roberto Kelly (Index Card)
Clyde King (Index Card)
Joe Pignatano (Index Card)
Whit Wyatt (Index Card)

Dodgers are my team, Brooklyn or LA. By now, a large majority of the Brooklyn boys are deceased, but that doesn't stop me. Luckily I started this many years ago too, and have most of the key signatures already.

I won't go out of my way to chase down some guy who played 1 game in 1922, but I won't avoid him either if the deal is right.

If I went with LA only, I could avoid wanting/chasing the early stuff, but the reality is, that stuff is very hard to find anyway and extremely expensive now days. I guess one of my dream autos would be a Jake Daubert. He was one of the earliest Brooklyn stars, but died in 1924! I have never seen one offered and expect that I would not have the funds to afford it if one were to come available!

I am still missing some very biggies, like Daubert, Rabbit Maranville, KiKi Cuyler, Dazzy Vance, Wilbert Robinson, Babe Ruth (coach), etc. I can live with that though...because I have to.

Dodgers are my team, Brooklyn or LA. By now, a large majority of the Brooklyn boys are deceased, but that doesn't stop me. Luckily I started this many years ago too, and have most of the key signatures already.

I won't go out of my way to chase down some guy who played 1 game in 1922, but I won't avoid him either if the deal is right.

If I went with LA only, I could avoid wanting/chasing the early stuff, but the reality is, that stuff is very hard to find anyway and extremely expensive now days. I guess one of my dream autos would be a Jake Daubert. He was one of the earliest Brooklyn stars, but died in 1924! I have never seen one offered and expect that I would not have the funds to afford it if one were to come available!

I am still missing some very biggies, like Daubert, Rabbit Maranville, KiKi Cuyler, Dazzy Vance, Wilbert Robinson, Babe Ruth (coach), etc. I can live with that though...because I have to.

That is basically my stand on it as well too. I have some of the guys prior to Atlanta and they are in with my other Braves, but like you said, I am not going to go out of my way to get them either.