Quick Guide To Card Collecting Slang/Lingo Abbreviations & Acronyms

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
Cut and copy this one, it was popular one I started on Beckett and has been a sticky on FCB since it started. I haven't been maintaining any of these types of posts I started (player collector lists, errors and variations, faqs, acronyms, etc) otherwise I would have done the same here. I just don't have the free time I used to.

http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27326

Good thread. I'm adding some of those to the list.

What about SASE? Guess everyone knows that one, huh?

:eek: c'mon man, please only post real acronyms !

Last edited:

bigbov

5.00 star(s)
So glad this became a sticky... i'm relatively new and this helps me from staring blankly @ my monitor.

Thanks,
Adam

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
The introduction pages of the annual Beckett/SCD guides have something similar, listing what many of the card related abbreviations stand for that you'd see in their guides. Most are universal. It's a nice intro to cards and collecting.

VintageHeros

5.00 star(s)
How about these?

SSP - Super Short Print
SV - Street Value
MSF - Must Send First
Ebay 1/1 - Relating the serial number of a particular card to something other than the card itself (i.e. the player's jersey number) in order to establish a uniqueness for that card

and...

"LMK" should also be paired with "PLMK", because this is The Bench and we're better than "LMK" alone...

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
The introduction pages of the annual Beckett/SCD guides have something similar, listing what many of the card related abbreviations stand for that you'd see in their guides. Most are universal. It's a nice intro to cards and collecting.

Looked in my 2006 scd. Couldn't find it but think I'll add grading abbreviations. Thanks

How about these?

SSP - Super Short Print
SV - Street Value
MSF - Must Send First
Ebay 1/1 - Relating the serial number of a particular card to something other than the card itself (i.e. the player's jersey number) in order to establish a uniqueness for that card

and...

"LMK" should also be paired with "PLMK", because this is The Bench and we're better than "LMK" alone...

Thanks

Now that I think about it I realize that if I use "lmk" it's ALWAYS followed by "Thanks, Alan", while with "plmk" I usually add the thanks but it CAN stand by itself.

Last edited:

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
This may have been a victim of the ever expanding guides. To make room for 10 more parallel UD sets, maybe this section had to go.

I pulled this from my Beckett Almanac #5. I didn't check the rest of the books I have.

Paintballah12

4.90 star(s)
Thank you for someone of posting this! I had no idea what people were saying like it was a diffrent language. Thanks for posting this - Paint12

captkirk42

EU = Event Used. Same as GU (game used).

I suspect that more often than not now days a swatch of cloth on a card will have come from some "event" rather than an actual game.

TJCloutier

5.00 star(s)
I noticed no one has posted in this in awhile but I actually just came across this post and found it helpful myself. A good read for anyone new or old.

t.rooster

5.00 star(s)
This is a great tool and especially helpful for the noobs. Question, is the word "chase card" used? Or is it a dated card replaced by, say, parallel or something else?

six43dpnc

5.00 star(s)
Might want to change the "blaster-retail" listing. A blaster box is not the same as a retail box. Blasters have way fewer packs than a retail box. For example, 2018 Topps comes in a retail box (with 24 packs) as well as hobby boxes and of course blasters at the big box stores. Heritage comes in a retail and hobby box as well.

John

Last edited: