*Rant* This is why Upper Deck continues to irratate me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zlw1

HOF
5.00 star(s)
About 6 1/2 months ago I bought a blaster of 09 UD spectrum from Target and pulled a Longoria Blue Jersey card. Well, I turned around and sold it on ebay for about the price of the box. So I thought, well, I should build the base set, and wound up building a set with them in the end. Well, about three days after I shipped the Longo, the BUYER emails me telling me the card had gotten creased in the mail. Well, being nice, I told him mail it back and I'd personally send it back to UD for replacement. Well, months pass, and I hear nothing. Eventually, I mailed the guy a different card he wanted in place of it because it seemed hopeless. Well after six months, I called Upper deck, with another issue, "again", and they told me, "Ohh, well it looks like the case was just updated that they mailed something out for you regarding this issue just today.." That was on the 15th. Well today, I finally get something back... keep in mind Spectrum had only been out for a week when I purchased the product. Well, I get the mailer, and it is extremely thick, so I had a hunch they wouldn't be able to replace it. So thinking they must've done something for me half way decent, I mediocrely open the package to find the card damaged, still... with there normal b$ letter, and guess what, a Pack of 08 Goudey Hobby. Labeled "Bonus". In all honesty, the first words that came from my mouth are unsuitable for children, but whats worse, is the fact that I waited for 6 1/2 months to get my card back, still damaged, and 8 base cards from a product thats twice as old as spectrum. Honestly, what does Upper Deck do all day? Throw all their cards away and give people trash? I'm sorry, this is my rant for the day, it's been a very long week with exams and this is just the old way of getting kicked in the groin... topped on everything else.
Thanks so much upper deck, the bonus pack was surely worth the same value as the Longo, or anything else you all persevere as "suitable replacements" especially when the pack doesn't even have a card worth more then $1.25 in the pack.. (Yeah, just 8 lousy base cards) I honestly thought I'd get one of those Sps at least, but I guess I was thinking too positively..
The bad thing is, they throw their goodwin ad in each reply they mail you, and thats almost as annoying as not getting anything at all. They seriously want me to buy more stuff to get shorted/damaged/etc on... Give me a break.
Ohh well, guess I can knock UD down another notch to go with my "Heroes Cases" that I got shorted on and 1/2 of the cards were never replaced or given equivalent cards for.
Thanks UD! I will NEVER buy cards from you again.

Last edited:
about three days after I shipped the Longo, the BUYER emails me telling me the card had gotten creased in the mail. Well, being nice, I told him mail it back and I'd personally send it back to UD for replacement.

Honestly, once the card is pulled in good condition I don't think that Upper Deck has an obligation to ensure proper handling by other unrelated parties. If UD did not know of the circumstances described above (i.e. if they were led to believe that it was damaged before it was pulled), then there is certainly something to be said for their slow shipping and poor choice of a replacement. This is irrelevant as far as indignation goes, however, insofar as they should not have been in that situation to begin with.

I can understand your frustrations, but please remember that a brand manager VP for UD is a member here.

tal

Honestly, once the card is pulled in good condition I don't think that Upper Deck has an obligation to ensure proper handling by other unrelated parties. If UD did not know of the circumstances described above (i.e. if they were led to believe that it was damaged before it was pulled), then there is certainly something to be said for their slow shipping and poor choice of a replacement. This is irrelevant as far as indignation goes, however, insofar as they should not have been in that situation to begin with.
But, this is the first time I had ever done this sort of way of handling things. As ( returning a damaged sale ).. I understand your point, and agree. But, this entire thing has been just a 'slow burn' in my heart. This originated a little over a year ago, and things 'piled up' and I continued to be disappointed in the return. In the past, they have treated me this way as far as my 2 cases, many boxes, and packs where cards were missing, damaged, or anything that relates to me calling to the Q.C./C.S. Dept for help.
I do understand of their huge renovation, etc over their departments, but all-in-all, should it take 6 months to fix one card? If they didn't have the card in stock months ago in the first place, why sit on it any longer? The situation with my cases were a lot worse, and just baffling. I have been severely disappointed and discouraged to purchase any product from Upper Deck because of the high possibility of something going wrong in general, and not just because the one card ended up damaged by USPS, it's just a swelling over time from many things stated. (Sorry for too much redundancy) I cannot emphasis it enough.

Last edited:
I'm sure that Brand Manager VP for UD knows that some members get great service from UD and others don't feel the same way....If I was in Zac shoes...I would be upset.....waiting all that time for only a pack of goudey! The least that could have done was sent something in replacement for the damaged card. Hang in the Zac! Best regards, David

I'm sure that Brand Manager VP for UD knows that some members get great service from UD and others don't feel the same way....If I was in Zac shoes...I would be upset.....waiting all that time for only a pack of goudey! The least that could have done was sent something in replacement for the damaged card. Hang in the Zac! Best regards, David

You know how much we loved that Heroes Product, and that was such a disappointment to me after getting short-ended so badly in those two cases after I had so much luck with retail. It was a great product, and still is. I am just afraid to keep buying a product that keeps forgetting case hits and shorting cards in packs.. especially with the product being beyond a year old now.
Zac

I had the same situation (well sort of) I pulled a 2009 A Piece of History Gu of Pujols. The back top corner had a slight chip so I sent it back. I waited about 4 months (or it seems so) I figured they just game out 2 days ago so they must have a replacement. But no. they said it was too far past the date from the original release. I was like ????? it was because they sat on it too long.
So they sent me the car back with that "bonus" pack but they did make up for it. They sent me this to make up for all that mess:
COLONBARTOLO.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm not sure what your issues were with the 2 cases, but just regarding this card, why would you send it to UD for replacement when the damage had nothing to do with them? If you told them it was damaged when you sent it through the mail, then they shouldn't have replaced it, and quite frankly, they shouldn't have even sent you a bonus pack. If you didn't tell them that, and claimed it was damaged from the pack, then you were being dishonest with them and have no right to feel entitled to anything. Again, I don't know what your past issues have been, but I'm 100 percent on the side of UD in regard to this matter.

I'm not sure what your issues were with the 2 cases, but just regarding this card, why would you send it to UD for replacement when the damage had nothing to do with them? If you told them it was damaged when you sent it through the mail, then they shouldn't have replaced it, and quite frankly, they shouldn't have even sent you a bonus pack. If you didn't tell them that, and claimed it was damaged from the pack, then you were being dishonest with them and have no right to feel entitled to anything. Again, I don't know what your past issues have been, but I'm 100 percent on the side of UD in regard to this matter.
That is the problem though Jdshuskers, I did tell them it was damaged from the post office. The guy from C/S said "No Problem, just send it back with the wrappers, receipt and box". It's not like I 'lied', I actually told the guy all about it, the situation, etc.. and he said it was fine. (He did get canned in June though) so there is no way I can get a hold of him.

That is the problem though Jdshuskers, I did tell them it was damaged from the post office. The guy from C/S said "No Problem, just send it back with the wrappers, receipt and box". It's not like I 'lied', I actually told the guy all about it, the situation, etc.. and he said it was fine. (He did get canned in June though) so there is no way I can get a hold of him.

I think what jdhuskers and the others on this thread are trying to say is that you're asking the card company in question to resolve a problem that wasn't their issue to begin with. The card was damaged in the mail, which would be an issue to take up with the United States Postal Service, not Upper Deck.

Sure, you're entitled to be upset for being told false information by the customer service representative. Unfortunately it happens all the time. But to expect anything else besides what (in my opinion) you were generously given, is asking for too much.

Steph

Upper deck just took care of me.
I am glad they listen now to their customers complaints.
I had purchased 2 hobby packs of Icons last week, and had pulled 2 damaged game used cards. They sent me 2 packs of Heroes Baseball and I received a Emerald Game Used of Adam Dunn /25 & a Retail Charcoal Jersey of Gorzelanny.
I'm glad they stepped up to the call and fixed that problem.

Also, I had purchased a case of 08 UD Documentary, and 3 of my boxes were missing autographs.
They sent me two autographs of Hong Chi Kuo from SP /99 & Brian Barton from Sweet Spot. Plus an additional game used of Coco Crisp /20. And, a pack of Heroes Football... which I ended up pulling a 3 color/4 swatch break patch /15 of FITZ! Numbered 11/15 (his jersey #!)
I have to say, I feel a whole lot better that they are taking care of me now compared to my adventures with the case and the previous incidents in the past.
Thank You Upper Deck.

Last edited:
I had several cards from my 09 Legendar Cuts case damaged that were sent in. I received the replacements last week (3 1/2 months later - fastest by them so far) saying two of the cards weren't damaged although the foil was obviously chipped on the front of two jersey cards. I got replacements for the rest with a pack of 08 Baseball Heroes and the gratuitous Goodwin flyer spoken about previously. This is the best service from them I have ever gotten and it was barely above minimal. My last UD purchase has come as well.

Dewayne

you pulled the card in perfect condition right? then UD did there end of the bargain. once you send it out and it gets damaged why is UD responsible for the damage? you are lucky you got a free pack of cards

why are you complaining?

you pulled the card in perfect condition right? then UD did there end of the bargain. once you send it out and it gets damaged why is UD responsible for the damage? you are lucky you got a free pack of cards

why are you complaining?

When you are shorted 1/2 your hits from a $1000+ cash value combined of 2 cases, you would be upset over the littlest things because your told one thing, and you get the other end of the deal. Easy as that, it's annoying that your told a wrong idea from the head QC Person on top of everything.
I'm just glad UD Stepped up on Q.C. for my other two problems and at least made me think about buying a future UD Product.

Last edited:
Thanks UD! I will NEVER buy cards from you again.

Welcome to the club! It was an expensive lesson for me to learn, cost me about $400 that I wasted on redemptions that were never made, and another $30 shipping the crap that they sent me back to them. :rolleyes:
Now I even try to avoid bidding on UD singles on ebay.

Yeah I had a sort of bad run in with an 08 heroes box with a james loney patch. I did get some nice cards in the box so I never got onto returning the loney patch. (I got a nice error jeter jersey card so I cant complain as much.