Recent Pickup Thread December 2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, haven't posted here in awhile! Anyway I finally got around to scanning these. Might not be meaningful or interesting to some, but I've recently started picking up sealed packs where a player I collect is on top. Here are two from 2007 Topps (jumbo w/Ausmus on top) and 2009 Topps (jumbo w/Braun on top).
ausmus-braun.jpg

The 2007 Topps pack was actually part of a birthday gift from a friend who's also a Jewish collector (albeit not as fanatical as I)! He was waiting for me to open the pack, then he realized Ausmus was on top, and I decided to keep it for the novelty. The 2009 Topps pack has a less exciting story, I just bought it at Target lol!

These were from awhile back...an eBay seller from Canada was selling a few 1985 Topps rack packs. Remembering that Hank Greenberg was an honorary captain in the 1984 All-Star game, I picked up a few rack packs with Greenberg and a few with other all-star/HOF players. Shipping was going to be $6 for one rack pack, but I bought 5 so combined s/h was something like $10. The packs themselves were a bargain...I think people were deterred from bidding because the seller was from Canada. Packaging was great and I am very happy with them.

This is possibly the ideal combination on a 1985 Topps rack pack for my tastes...Hank, Davey, and a certain HOFer in the middle!
85t-rakpak1.jpg

Here's another pack with Hank on top. And I heard the guy in the middle was pretty good too! :D
85t-rakpak2.jpg

Had a great Randy mailweek. Thanks, Sue

09SPAuthenticBTLI.jpg
09SweetSpotBarrel5.jpg07UDPremierTriple5.jpg

I ended up winning the Dodger set myself a while back. I believe they were for the same product, the plaques, although it might have been for the souvenir ball too.

Highlights for my pick-up were Glenn Burke and Jim Gilliam, along with all the rest of the Dodger favorites.

I am debating cutting these up to make team displays for my house. I have almost the entire 1978 cubs roster as wella s a good chunk of 1977

Picked up a few things for the PC on the cheap side...nothing all that great but stuff I needed for players I collect.

mrmopar, you may be interested in this one...if you need it let me know...it has some piece of stitching or number or something? I don't know...says on the back its from a game worn jersey but it's black? maybe you have some more info on it you could share?

SteveGarveyGu.jpg

then a few others from that set:

KirbyPuckettGUBat.jpg

CraigNettlesGUBat.jpg

PaulMolitorGU.jpg

Needed this for my PC - Favre GU in the Jets Uniform:

BFavreJetsGU.jpg

Franker GU Bat:

FrankThomasBat.jpg

Winfield GU Bat:

WinfieldGUBat.jpg

...and then there are these Maurice Clarett's...I know, don't laugh...watched this guy go from High School to OSU and on to Denver then I think he's in jail now? Who knows? But...the guy had as much talent as anyone I've ever seen...sad he blew it. (one of these was free and I have less than $10 in all of it)

ClarettGU.jpg

MauriceClarettGU50.jpg

MauriceClarettGU99.jpg

MauriceClarettAutos.jpg

Then some older players football autos for the PC:

HermanMooreAuto.jpg

ObrienAuto.jpg

WarrenMoonAuto.jpg

...thats it for now :)

I believe it's actually part of a Padre uniform. I felt cheated when these first came out, showing a Dodger card, but the uniform being brown. The cards never say it has to be a uniform that matches the picture on the card, as there are some other cards of his with yellow and orange parts too, obviously Padre jerseys, but the cards show him as a Dodger.

I would be interested in that due to the odd stitching, otherwise I must have 5-6 of those already.

Are you looking to sell?
mrmopar, you may be interested in this one...if you need it let me know...it has some piece of stitching or number or something? I don't know...says on the back its from a game worn jersey but it's black? maybe you have some more info on it you could share?

SteveGarveyGu.jpg

i thought maybe it was a piece of sock lol. Actually looking at it...the circle says Dodgers GU Jersey lol...i dunno...it's odd...looks black to me.

The seller didn't have a good pic of it in the listing...so had no idea what i was getting when i bought it. I think I paid $3 for it...you can have it if you want it...I'll just pick up another one at some point...no big deal...with the Bradshaw stuff I know how the player collector stuff is...lol...so...it's yours buddy....send me your address and i'll drop it out to you on friday.

also...are the others you have from the set all that color? just curious?

great december pickups everyone!!!

happy holidays to all...

have a nice loney patch card incoming, will post soon.

here's a nice card in the mail today from a great Bench member

hpqscan0001.jpg

A couple new highlights!

An odd homemade and severly mis-shaped baseball, signed by numerous member of the 1959 Boston Red Sox. The key here is a very brief tenured manager (1 game!) and coach, Rudy York. This 7 time AS played along the Tiger greats of the 30s and 40s, like Greenburg, Gehringer, Cochrane and others. York held his own at 1B and was a perennial HR leader (top 5 nine times), even topping the AL once with 34 in 1943, ending the incredible 17 year league leader streak held collectively in that league by AL greats Ted Williams, Jimmie Foxx, Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Hank Greenburg & Joe DiMaggio. Of course it didn't hurt that this was in the prime of WWII!

York held the MLB record for most HRs in a month with 18 in August 1937 until Sammy Sosa finally topped it with 20 in June, 1998. Some may even consider that record tainted now...

Some other nice additions include Del Baker (D. 73), Pete Runnels (D. 91), Vic Wertz (D. 83), rookie season Earl Wilson (D. 05), Billy Jurges (D. 97), Gary Geiger (D. 96), Pumpsie Green & Boo Ferriss.

PC110001.jpg
PC110002.jpg

This one was somewhat of an impulse buy. Normally my autograph interest is with players who established themselves in MLB, having decent to great careers. I like AS roster, award winners, All-Rookie team members, etc. This guy caught my eye though. Walt Bond never had a chance to develop a promising career. This 6'7" slugger's life was tragically cut short at 29, when he lost his battle with Leukemia in 1967.

He died young and quite a long time ago, so these never seem to surface and when they do, can be expensive.

PC110003.jpg
PC110004.jpg
PC110005.jpg

Here are some of my december pickups. These are all from trades done on a few other sites. I still have more coming in

these three I picked up for my prestigious auto set
DSC00521.jpg

DSC00551.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

My pickup for my sooner collection 9/25 his sooner number. (ebay 1/1
DSC00552.jpg

I just got this one but its already going out for my first ever bench trade:D
DSC00542.jpg

DSC00545.jpg

This one is not a december pickup but wanted to show it off.One of my best pulls
DSC00464.jpg

Some Bagwell Pickups for me:

pic005.jpg

pic005.jpg
05 Prime Cuts Auto Number Jersey /5

pic006.jpg
02 Studio Private Signings Auto #'d 1/15

pic063.jpg
04 Topps CLubhouse Collection Relics Black /25

And a few other PC pickups
pic044.jpg

pic042.jpg
02 Donruss Classics Significant Signature Lance Berkman /25
I picked this up for $3, I Think it was a mistake and was meant to be listed for $30, so I lucked out pretty good.

Thanks for looking
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.