Recent Pickups - MARCH edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brooklyn (and LA) Bounty

Have not really been sharing the new pick-ups of late, partially due to laziness and maybe just a lull in interest there days.

However....Yanks21, who is the yin to my yang when it comes to collecting, has inspired me to go back and fill some Dodger holes. Kevin collects Yankees and we frequently swap Yanks for Dodgers, but when it comes to the really good and old stuff, we are on our own. It's hard to trade that stuff away, even if it is the Yankees!

Anyway, I gathered up most of my vintage Dodgers in ebays early days when deals could be had. Let's just say I bought at the right time if you came in after the 90s boom. I collected in the 70s and 80s, but my budget didn't allow for many lavish purchases and by the time I was making money to buy better cards, I had moved on (temporarily as it turned out). Resuming the collection in the early 90s, I was there with the rest of them, buying up ridiculous inserts and chase cards, but when ebay went live, I could get so much more! I chased oddballs, vintage and other great items that I am glad I went after. Now everything is that much more expensive and harder to find.

However, I didn't get everything and I still pick up a stray card or two when the mood strikes me. With the auto market being so competitive and the Garvey market at a record dry time, I ventured out into some Brooklyn/LA vintage to pass the time.

Today, I received a huge chunk of those recent purchases. Included were some T-206 cards, a nice run of 1939 Play Balls (mostly high numbers!!), a large group of off condition, but generally decent 61-62 Bell Brand cards and even a stray 1958 Topps! This goes along with the 2 dozen or so 54-59 Topps (mostly 57s) I landed this month as well.

This was not a cheap endeavor, so I will probably take a spending breather for a little while to recoup! Enjoy.

P3160004.jpg
P3160002.jpg

New trader "Texas Brave13"

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give a shout out to a new trader here his member name is Texas Brave13.

Our trade was me sending a starter set 2008 topps and him sending "a couple of Brewer/Ichiro cards", he came through in a big way!! Cards were shipped quickly and arrived in great condition, he is looking to build a couple of Topps base sets from his kids birth years.

The following is a pic of some of the highlights he sent, there were more trust me. Looks like a great new member.

001.png

Have not really been sharing the new pick-ups of late, partially due to laziness and maybe just a lull in interest there days.

However....Yanks21, who is the yin to my yang when it comes to collecting, has inspired me to go back and fill some Dodger holes. Kevin collects Yankees and we frequently swap Yanks for Dodgers, but when it comes to the really good and old stuff, we are on our own. It's hard to trade that stuff away, even if it is the Yankees!

Anyway, I gathered up most of my vintage Dodgers in ebays early days when deals could be had. Let's just say I bought at the right time if you came in after the 90s boom. I collected in the 70s and 80s, but my budget didn't allow for many lavish purchases and by the time I was making money to buy better cards, I had moved on (temporarily as it turned out). Resuming the collection in the early 90s, I was there with the rest of them, buying up ridiculous inserts and chase cards, but when ebay went live, I could get so much more! I chased oddballs, vintage and other great items that I am glad I went after. Now everything is that much more expensive and harder to find.

However, I didn't get everything and I still pick up a stray card or two when the mood strikes me. With the auto market being so competitive and the Garvey market at a record dry time, I ventured out into some Brooklyn/LA vintage to pass the time.

Today, I received a huge chunk of those recent purchases. Included were some T-206 cards, a nice run of 1939 Play Balls (mostly high numbers!!), a large group of off condition, but generally decent 61-62 Bell Brand cards and even a stray 1958 Topps! This goes along with the 2 dozen or so 54-59 Topps (mostly 57s) I landed this month as well.

This was not a cheap endeavor, so I will probably take a spending breather for a little while to recoup! Enjoy.

P3160004.jpg
P3160002.jpg

As usuall you always get Dodger stuff I want:mad: . Very nice addition.

Jason

Havent been sharing much of late, but these are two of my nicest recent Braun pick-ups- both 1 of 1s (and two of the best cards in my collection)

2011ToppsInTheNameLetterRelicsINR34B1of1.jpg
[/IMG]

2010ToppsChrome137SuperfractorsNA1of1.jpg
[/IMG]

And in honor of seeing Lombardi on Broadway last night (which was amazing- I highly recommend it), another recent pick up- numbered 3 of 5

05TAAXFractor-HornungPaul3-5.jpg
[/IMG]

I got in contact with a guy I bought a nice chunk of O’neills from just to say hello. He mentioned he came across these cards. Non-Becket but great for the PC.

The Bernie’s came from a Bench trade member sinocc
/10 and /50
pcstuff.jpg
Another vintage to add. Mr Shea lived only miles from me but I never has a chance to meet him before he passed.
shea.jpg
I always wanted this card for my Mattingly PC. Had the chance and sealed the deal.
mattinglypreproduction.jpg
These were from the 2011 wrapper redemption. These are for trade
wrapper.jpg

Last edited:
Two very nice additions to my Jiovanni Mier PC today...

2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Blue Refractor AU
MierB.jpg

2010 Bowman Draft Blue Refractor AU
MierR.jpg

1988 David Berg Cubs - Gred Maddux

I figure for arguments sake, I paid about a buck for this. In actuality, it was in a pile of stuff I got for $10. Have I mentioned I really like my local card shop?

This will go nicely with the 87 Berg Maddux I already had. The coupon was a nice touch as well. I didn't even notice it, but it was clinging to the back of the card when I got home!

Given the stats he had thus far, who would have ever thought this man would go on to be a 300 game winner and sure fire HOFer?!

P3190003.jpg
P3190005.jpg

Very nice pick up on the Harry Hooper check. I got one in my collection and its one of my favorits.

Also love the other autos as well.

Jason

Jason...thanks :) I have one of the small signed pics you see of hooper but the sig is light and the check was reasonable.
and for you dodger freaks I just won this :
boys.jpg

Last edited:
Jason...thanks :) I have one of the small signed pics you see of hooper but the sig is light and the check was reasonable.
and for you dodger freaks I just won this :
boys.jpg

Very Nice!!!!!!! Im right now finishing up paying off another dodger piece as well. It is original Ebbetts Field Stationary with a pic of the stadium on it signed by 15 Dodgers. Cant wait to share that with yall.

Very nice Dodger Piece!!!!!!!!!!

Jason

I believe I saw that piece listred. Was it on ebay? If I remember, it was too much for me, given I have multiples of all those sigs and didn't care for the format. Still, a nice way to get multiple autos in a quick manner.

EDIT:

I went back and found it. I did see that, in fact I emailed the seller to ID Branca and Morgan's signature for them. They must have not sold it the first go around and revised the listing with that information. Too bad you didn't see it 5 days earlier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...gRsP%2FYQs%2ByPU5F%2B%2BV5M%3D#ht_1166wt_1141

Last edited:
Got a few weekend addtions to the old PC!!! I picked up a harder to get HoFer auto and the 1961 Fleer set in EX+ condition. Here is a scan of the Nellife Fox auto

03192011.jpg

Thanks,
dewayne

I believe I saw that piece listred. Was it on ebay? If I remember, it was too much for me, given I have multiples of all those sigs and didn't care for the format. Still, a nice way to get multiple autos in a quick manner.

EDIT:

I went back and found it. I did see that, in fact I emailed the seller to ID Branca and Morgan's signature for them. They must have not sold it the first go around and revised the listing with that information. Too bad you didn't see it 5 days earlier.
QUOTE]

I did actually see it earlier and didnt bid because i thought it ended a day later. it's still a nice piece and will look good with soem of the other dodgers stuff I have

Got a few weekend addtions to the old PC!!! I picked up a harder to get HoFer auto and the 1961 Fleer set in EX+ condition. Here is a scan of the Nellife Fox auto

03192011.jpg

Thanks,
dewayne

Dewayne.. Decent Fox items are getting tough to find so thats a nice pickup :)
I got lucky on mine considering what it is...heres mine, it's a GPC postcard
fox1.jpg

Yeah, Fox has been a tough one for me. At least finding one at a decent price. He is on the same lines as Joe Gordon. Nice example you have along with several other guys.

Just added one more Gehrig GU to the fold:

03212011.jpg
(the scratches are the case, just FYI)

Thanks,
Dewayne

you and those ghehrigs.... I consider my Fox a steal at I think 110 dlvd/ins
gordon I had on a pice with dimaggio, ruffing and gomez but having 5 or so moths off with no pay made the offer i got look good...