Rough off season.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Konel07

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Looks like the free agent pool is full of dinosaurs... The only hope for a successful offseason is for the international free agent pool to be stellar. How do you other teams plan to retool for next season?

Remember guys with team options havent been added to the free agent class yet in theory could be substantially better when that takes place

Pool will get a bit better after team options have been taken care of and potential arb players released.

Tigers been running most of this year with a 4 man starting rotation and my worst SP is up for a hefty team option. Normally I would just let him go but this year I'm actually considering paying him because I don't know if I'll be able to land another SP as good as him---and not sure if my best minor league starter will be ready to go or not next year.

And there are going to be some additional old dinosaurs added to, as I have one for sure that I am going to buy out his contract and release him. And probably another 1 or 2 that I am not going to pick up their option. But again, they are old as well.

Most free agents are usually fringe players or dinosaurs. It blows me away why people readily trade their young controllable players. Free agency is a gamble but it does pay off at times. Cleveland sogned 39 year old badger and he worked well for them. The biggest asset you can have is starting pitching and the fa market almost never has any

Never seems to be many player worth picking up in the Free Agent market. If they are, you have to over pay big time for them. It is tough to rebuild if you don't have a good minor league system to pull players up from.

I don't think the old guys are a bad thing. Obviously very rare your gonna find a 26 yr old stud available in a free agent market due to service time & arbitration. As far as signing some guys to put a contender over the top it works well and small markets can bring I'm some good vets to mix with young guys. Main problem is lack of SP talent overall in draft pools has been a horrible but there is hope cuz this was one of the better SP pools this past season. You should expect to find a Rob Clark in free agency its very unlikely a stud SP under 30 will hit market. I do think we have had some good guys in the past yes it becomes a bidding war and takes a lot of teams like mine out of the mix but Scott Kazmir/Brett Anderson/C.Cruz are a couple names that I can think of.

I don't think the old guys are a bad thing. Obviously very rare your gonna find a 26 yr old stud available in a free agent market due to service time & arbitration. As far as signing some guys to put a contender over the top it works well and small markets can bring I'm some good vets to mix with young guys. Main problem is lack of SP talent overall in draft pools has been a horrible but there is hope cuz this was one of the better SP pools this past season. You should expect to find a Rob Clark in free agency its very unlikely a stud SP under 30 will hit market. I do think we have had some good guys in the past yes it becomes a bidding war and takes a lot of teams like mine out of the mix but Scott Kazmir/Brett Anderson/C.Cruz are a couple names that I can think of.
Cruz was and is a mr. You can play him where you want, but a player with less that 3 pitches and/or below 10 stamina is a reliever. A lot of teams successfully start stud relievers, but they are still no sps in my book