Selling for a relative, and I've already got stumped a few times!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tigsfan

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
So here's the back story....

All my relatives know me as the 'baseball card expert', so if they ever come across something they know who to ask. Well after all these years, that big day finally came! My father's aunt contacted me about her husband's (Jim) collection. Jim was a card shop owner at least 20 years ago (based on the cards age). He is now on disability and is just getting back his ability to walk after years of wheelchairs and bed rest. Yes, that means he has no idea that the collection is going bye bye, but it is partially a space issue and partially a medical expenses issue.

She was able to give me a somewhat detailed list over the phone and I was able to tell her that there was the potential for some good money to be made. Today I was able to pick up some stuff in order to get a good examination of what he has. I plan to get some pictures up later, but a general idea of what I found so far...

Pictures so far, not that detailed: http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g132/tigsfan/NOT MINE collection for sale only/

Somewhere between 10-20 large uncut sheets (the 132s) from 84-89
Unopened packs from 87-92
Commons dating from 72-89, some complete(?) sets (87 T x2, 85 T, ...)
Already found star RCs of: McGwire T (OLY) x2, Gwynn F, Ripken T, Kingman T, 84 T olympic complete(?) set, Clemens T, Puckett T
85 Topps Mini Silver? Dwight Gooden
5 Almost Complete Sets of 73s #s 1-132 (Rose, Aaron, Clemente, HR Kings)
1993 Nabisco Auto Set w/ COA, frame, and original box it was mailed in

Is there anything I SHOULD be looking for? Everything that I don't want for myself is going up for sale on here, so is there something YOU are looking to buy?

Last edited:
I would think the 87-92 stuff might be close to worthless, due to no demand. Older commons, depending on condition, might have some value.
Uncut sheets always seem to find a home, although no one knows what to do with them when they get them, so huge they take up a whole wall, LOL. that said, I've been looking for a nice one to frame up, LMK specifics if you decide to sell.
Checking the price guides will give you an idea on the rookie cards. I see the Nabisco sets on Ebay from time to time, they must have made a ton of them as the price seems to be never more than $75.

The thing about the Nabisco set is if the Drysdale is in it. He passed away while he was in the process of signing all the cards. They sent out what they received back from Drysdale but his cards were in much shorter supply than the other players.

Uncut sheets always seem to find a home, although no one knows what to do with them when they get them, so huge they take up a whole wall, LOL. that said, I've been looking for a nice one to frame up, LMK specifics if you decide to sell.
This is what I've been trying to find out. The sheets are huge, yes, and seem to sell fairly cheap (if they even sell). I got like 5 different years to choose from, so did you have one in mind and I can make sure to get a pic up for you?

The thing about the Nabisco set is if the Drysdale is in it. He passed away while he was in the process of signing all the cards. They sent out what they received back from Drysdale but his cards were in much shorter supply than the other players.
I was personally drawn to the set myself because it is something I knew a little about. Yes the Drysdale is there (I will put a picture up of it later). I guess the bigger question is how rare is it to have the frame. I only saw one on ebay with the frame so that got me wondering.

I was personally drawn to the set myself because it is something I knew a little about. Yes the Drysdale is there (I will put a picture up of it later). I guess the bigger question is how rare is it to have the frame. I only saw one on ebay with the frame so that got me wondering.

I don't know anything about the Nabisco auto set but in my experience framing only makes a small difference in the price of cards. It seems the price of framing FAR exceeds any extra value. Like if you had the 4 basic Ripken rookiesin in nrmtmt condition they might sell for 120-$145 as a group. Frame them and they might go for 130-$155.

Looks like lots of $5/box or set stuff with some misc bigger stuff mixed in, at least from the pictures so far. Those sheets are always a good conversation starter, but as mentioned, not the easiest to display. That Nabisco set is kind of cool, especially since you got the Drysdale. I hope you get a decent mix of pre 1986 wax boxes, that stuff usually does okay

Can you tell what the year of the Topps box with the Astros hitter? Looks like it might be early 80s, possibly even 1980. That would be a good one.

I ordered the Nabisco cards when they were new. I don't remember any frame, but that is not to say it wasn't available. It might have been a promotional set for use by dealers too. The cards were something like a couple Proof of Purchase and $5. I have seen other food issue sets in frames, so it could be a prize, promo or something else. I don't think they sold them that way though.

As for what to look for, anything unique should give you a good start. Factory sets, wax packs and boxes (in the junk era, which that looks to be mainly what you have) are bargain table buys. Sheets, small boxed sets, etc are more low end novelty stuff for the most part. Really most of the stuff from that time is pretty ho-hum, but you may have some gems hiding in there.

Looks like lots of $5/box or set stuff with some misc bigger stuff mixed in, at least from the pictures so far. Those sheets are always a good conversation starter, but as mentioned, not the easiest to display. That Nabisco set is kind of cool, especially since you got the Drysdale. I hope you get a decent mix of pre 1986 wax boxes, that stuff usually does okay
I knew going in that it was mostly stuff from the overproduced era, so I'm thinking I might just garage sale the cheaper stuff (like some sets I would mark $10 on). I have seen very little on the pre 86 so far, but I haven't taken a really good look yet.

I'd be interested in pic#9
The 84 Topps is a good set. ;) I will have to look into the prices sheets sell for and the shipping cost before I can give you a definitive price.

I ordered the Nabisco cards when they were new. I don't remember any frame, but that is not to say it wasn't available. It might have been a promotional set for use by dealers too. The cards were something like a couple Proof of Purchase and $5. I have seen other food issue sets in frames, so it could be a prize, promo or something else. I don't think they sold them that way though.

As for what to look for, anything unique should give you a good start. Factory sets, wax packs and boxes (in the junk era, which that looks to be mainly what you have) are bargain table buys. Sheets, small boxed sets, etc are more low end novelty stuff for the most part. Really most of the stuff from that time is pretty ho-hum, but you may have some gems hiding in there.

Yep, just searched and that box is 80 Topps. Nice find there...

http://www.dacardworld.com/vintage/1980-topps-baseball-wax-box
I have already found a few gems in there (like those nice rookies and some star cards that book as high as $40 so far). I might just call DA about that 1980 Topps and see what the offer me for it.:p

Good to know about the Nabisco set. I know he got it directly from Nabisco because he had saved it in the packaging they mailed it to him in. I'm thinking I may keep it for myself, but of course I won't take it for free...

It would be nice if you hit an 84 Fleer Update set!
I have yet to see any traded sets, and very little Fleer. Maybe I will find a good stack of cards that are gradable and make the good money that way. :)

This is what I've been trying to find out. The sheets are huge, yes, and seem to sell fairly cheap (if they even sell). I got like 5 different years to choose from, so did you have one in mind and I can make sure to get a pic up for you?

I could be wrong, but isn't one of those sheets an 1982? Looks like it's the one without the Ripkens. If it's an 82, I'd be interested. And check those exhibit cards in image #9 carefully, some of those do have value.

Exhibits were reprinted, so based on what else is shown, those are likely reprints. They could be real though, you never know what people collect together.

I would not sell a vintage box to someone who plans to resell it. You might as well toss it on ebay, you'd probably do better. It is easy enough to search completed auctions to see if any have sold and how well they did.

That box could contain a fresh Henderson RC and that will drive the price of the box.

YEP, just checked...$290 is the CHEAPEST one sold for. Looks like they regularly sell in the mid $300s. Why let someone else have the profit? Sell it yourself and make more!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...ALE_CURRENCY=0&_osacat=0&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1

Man I looked at the wrong image! I am also convinced that they are reprinted. They are on some kind of thin cardboard stock and have no markings on the back. Spahn, Mays, Mantle, Doby among the players that are in the stack. I pulled these out and have yet to find anything that looks like what I have or have idea what they are. :/ Here is an auction with the same image as the Mantle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-66-Exhibits-Mickey-Mantle-White-outline-PSA-8-5-/400067791546

I could be wrong, but isn't one of those sheets an 1982? Looks like it's the one without the Ripkens. If it's an 82, I'd be interested.
It looks like you are right there. I pulled it out and there is no Ripken on the 82. I do see some damage to the left side and the bottom, but the right looks good overall and no damage to the top.

Notable players pictured: Henderson, Palmer IA, Blyleven, G. Carter AS, Carlton IA, Schmidt IA, Brett IA, Brett AS, Strargell IA, J. Morris

YEP, just checked...$290 is the CHEAPEST one sold for. Looks like they regularly sell in the mid $300s. Why let someone else have the profit? Sell it yourself and make more!
Without doing the investigation myself (I would have eventually... :p) $200+ sounded good to me. Does $350-$400 (on a good day) sound even better? YES :). I also found a small stack of 80s cards, but no Henderson rookie. With the other star rookies I have found there is still hope!

here is a bit of info
1993 Nabisco star autographs:
in a promotion with the major League Baseball Player Alumni, Nabisco produced this six-card set of former stars. For $5 and proof of purchase, collectors could receive and authentically autographed card. the 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 cards featured color photos on front on which the team logos have been air-brushed away, since Major league Baseball did not licence the issue, Backs give biographical and carrier information along with a black-and-white childhood photo of the player. The unnumbered cards are check listed here in alphabetical order, Don Drysdale's death on July 3rd, in the midst of the promotion, curtailed availably of cards with his autograph. Each card came cased with certificate of authenticity. Un autographed and 12-card uncut sheets are known.
complte set (6) ($90.00)
common player $6.00
#1 Ernie Banks $13.50
#2 don Drysdale $45.00
#3 Catfish hunter $20.00
#4 Phil Niekro $6.00
#5 Brooks Robinson $7.50
#6 Willie Stargell $25.00

These prices are form 2007 and may be off a bit

I could not find this card:
Could it be a 1986? Mini topps? #52.. if so it is worth .05.. I dont see anything with topps mini "silver"

BV for the Nabisco cards:

1993 Nabisco All-Star Autographs #1 Ernie BanksAU - $15.00
1993 Nabisco All-Star Autographs #2 Don DrysdaleAU - $50.00
1993 Nabisco All-Star Autographs #3 Catfish HunterAU - $20.00
1993 Nabisco All-Star Autographs #4 Phil NiekroAU - $15.00
1993 Nabisco All-Star Autographs #5 Brooks RobinsonAU - $20.00
1993 Nabisco All-Star Autographs #6 Willie StargellAU - $25.00

I could not find this card:
Could it be a 1986? Mini topps? #52.. if so it is worth .05.. I dont see anything with topps mini "silver"

That would be from the 1985 Topps Gallery of Champions set. They issued sets in bronze and silver that year, supposing it is about 1.25"x1.75" in size. If so, the silver is actual sterling silver, and those are the higher end of the two sets. In later years, they issued aluminum, bronze and silver, but 1984 & 1985 were just bronze and silver. The only one I see that has sold on eBay in the last 30 days is the Bruce Sutter that went for $100. So they are valuable, just not very popular.

Last edited: