Sending Follow-Up Letters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dsrsn5

Prospect
Hey everyone,
I was wondering how and what to say in follow-up letters to players that you have been seeing successes from and you haven't gotten a return, what do you say in these letters, do you ask them to send your stuff back? Include money? Just thought I would start something like this in case it ever happens to anyone..
Thanks for reading,
Dylan

I have never sent a follow up letter. Usually, I wait a while and if I still have not gotten a return from them I send a new card to them.

I would never send a follow up letter.
Requesting an autograph through the mail never guarantees a response. Players respond as a favor, and we should assume we won't get an answer, not the other way around.

The only time I have ever heard of this is when someone charges and keeps your money and returns the item unsigned..I have never seen it used as a status update letter...

I agree, when you send TTM out, you are taking a chance. Whether or not a player is usually a good signer does not guarantee you'll get your item back signed or at all for that matter. I would just try sending another request with a new item.

I sent a follow up letter to Lenny Randle when I sent to him TTM, his agent wrote me back and said he had been gone and doing charity work...when Lenny got back, they included 2 extra signed computer printed photos for me...definitely worked for me! :)

andy pafko is usually a good signer i sent two cards to him on seperate occassions in the last year and still nothing.

andy pafko is usually a good signer i sent two cards to him on seperate occassions in the last year and still nothing.

I sent him a card roughly 9 months ago and I got it back about 3 weeks later unsigned in my SASE. No note or anything so I am not sure whats going on with Andy.

I sent him a card roughly 9 months ago and I got it back about 3 weeks later unsigned in my SASE. No note or anything so I am not sure whats going on with Andy.

Andy Pafko is almost 90 years old and is probably just tired of signing. He still probably gets plenty of requests because of the following factors:

One of the TWO living members of the 1945 Chicago Cubs World Series Team
One of approximately 50 or so living Brooklyn Dodgers
One of the living members of the 1957 Milwaukee Braves World Series Championship team.

Figure with all of these, Pafko has been bombarded over the years, even worse now with the proliferation of info sharing on the internet. He's been great to collectors for many years. He might be too sick or tired to keep up.

I have been thinking about this for a while and thought of some things to do if anyone ever sends a follow up letter.
1. Use the same technique of writing as always and the player may recognize it.
2. If you have been seeing successes when seekers are sending donations, throw in 5 or 10 bucks.
3. Ask them in your letter if they ever did receive your last request, and be polite when doing so (only if you sent a donation with your second request, would I recommend doing this)
4. Try to use the same return address label as the first request, then the player could send all your items back, if it's recognized.

These are just my opinions and if anything doesn't sound right lmk cuz I am open to discussion.
Thanks