September 2005 Site of the Month: Dilferules

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Wing

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
September's Site of the Month is Dilferules. Richard collects some sets, Oakland A's, Xavier Nady and is the world's biggest Trent Dilfer collector.

Stop by his site and let the trading begin.

Mark

Nice site

Very nice site. Being from the Tampa Bay area, I know lots about Trent Dilfer. He could never make anyone happy here, no matter how hard he tried.

Bob

Nice looking site. Congrats. I'll be watching Dilfer lead my Browns this year. Hopefully he does better than the last guy. He was so bad, I've already forgotten him. LOL.

Wow, thanks for the compliments! I put a lot of work into my site, and I've had it in some form for 7+ years. Here it is in 1998...the pictures don't work, but you get the general idea. Dang, I still need that stupid $5 Phone Card that was #2 on my wantlist back then. I took a few college classes that gave me an excuse to work on the site while also getting school credit. I learned that the best sites are easy to navigate and uncluttered, so I tried to go that route. I just try to keep it simple and easy on the eyes. I'm sure we've all been to somebody's trade site that lliterally hurts our eyes! I just have to update my collection pages someday, I have a lot more cards I want to show off.

bdangelo - He had a decent last couple of years there, but it's hard to get past being such a disappointment in the fans minds for those first few years. It was cool to see him win the Super Bowl in Tampa, even if he hasn't done much since.

bigjohnson - I'll have to pay a lot more attention to the NFL this year now that it looks like he'll be starting. I'll be rooting for the Browns with you!

YankeeBob - Thanks!

Richard

Great Job on your site. I can definately relate to those long hours working on a website. Not only do you have to put in a lot of time but you also have to love doing it. I know I do! Keep up the good work.

Single player collectors are awesome in my book! :D

Also I need:
Darin Erstad 2000 Pacific Ruby #6 BV $1
Darin Erstad 99 Bowman Chrome International #42
Darin Erstad 99 Pacific Team Checklist #1
Darin Erstad 2003 Topps Opening Day Sticker

Id also trade for (if more needed for something of mine you wanted):
Matsui
2003 Upper Deck 40-Man RC #877
2003 Leaf RC #321
2003 Donruss Team Heroes RC #542

Felix Hernandez
2004 Bowman RC #224

PM me with any offers... check my site for trade lists. Only about 10% of my stuff is even listed

jaderock said:
Nice Site. Glad you stuck with Dilfer - hope Brunell is so lucky and skilled to make it to the SuperBowl.

BTW - Shayne's Dilfer link doesn't work :(

I might have he Charlie Jones Gold Pennant Redemption.
On the 1997 Playoff Contenders did you collect all the felt colors?

My #1/1 and high end Baseball and Football Trade Page

Mark Brunell Wantlist

Brunell Tradelist

Thanks for the compliments! Your Brunell collection is really impressive, we both have around the same percentage of total cards made, but Brunell has about 3 times as many cards as Dilfer. It looks like we have a few of the same sets on our wantlists, so let me comment about a few of them:

1996 Pro Line Intense Phone Card $3 Test: I don't think I've ever seen one of these, so I'm starting to doubt their existence.

1997 Destiny Series Phone Card #45 (NOT #'D)
1997 Destiny Series Phone Card #45 (#/500): How long have you known about these? I had never heard of them until a set of the two Dilfers (listed as "Pro Football Elite" series but I assume they're the same set as one was unnumbered and one was/500) popped up on eBay earlier this year. Somebody else bought the pair, and I haven't seen any since. Really weird.

1997 Pinnacle Certified Promo #12: Beckett lists these, but I have never seen one, so I'm convinced they don't exist. I removed the Dilfer from my wantlist.

1997 Score Reserve Collection #46
1997 Score Reserve Collection#320: Man those are brutally tough, I'm glad I found the Dilfer several years ago. Haven't seen once since.

1997 Studio Postcard Portraits #5
1997 Studio Postcard Portraits #27: This is another set that I'm convinced doesn't exist. Removed the Dilfer from my wantlist a while ago.

1998 Playoff Momentum 7-11 #1: Ugh those 7-11 parallels are IMPOSSIBLE. I have the Prestige, but not the Absolute or Momentum.

1998 Skybox Thunder Rave #213 (#/150): I think it's funny that we both have the Super Rave, but not the Rave.

1999 Collector's Edge Millennium Collection Advantage Blue #69: I got a bunch of Millennium Collection cards in Target blister packs, and with the Advantage cards the rookies were all blue and the veterans were all red. I don't think veteran blues exist, and seeing that it's the last Millennium Collection you need makes me feel even more sure. It's still on my wantlist though, because who knows with Collector's Edge?

2002 Pacific Private Stock Retail #43: I'm pretty sure the veterans from this set had identical cards for hobby and retail, just the rookies were different. I bought a couple of retail packs, and I've bought 2 or 3 "Hobby" Dilfers, all of which looked identical to retail cards. I've never got confirmation of this so the Hobby version remains on my wantlist. I think Beckett just made an error and listed different versions for the entire set.

2002 Topps Heritage Black Backs #139: You can take this one off your wantlist, Topps only made black back variations for certain cards in the set, and Brunell isn't one of them. I had the Dilfer on my wantlist for 2 years before I found this out.

Let me know if you do have the Charlie Jones Pennant Gold Redemption. Regarding the 1997 Playoff Contenders Pennants...as a way to limit the number of cards I had to buy, I pretty much ignored all the color variations in Playoff sets that weren't specifically mentioned in Beckett. I do pick up versions that I don't have if I happen to see them, but I don't spend a lot of time searching for them. I have the black and purple felt versions of the '97 Pennants, if you have any others I'd be interested.

By the way, if you want to know the history of your 1997 Showcase Row 2 Masterpiece Brunell...that card was pulled in my former hometown of Salinas, CA and displayed in Star Cards (local shop) for the sales price of....$1,000. I presume you paid considerably less for it. I just thought it was cool that you own the first 1/1 I had ever seen in person.

Richard

Glad there's another dedicated player collector out there - we're a dying breed. I love discussing older (not vintage) cards that are commonly forgotten by the new collectors.

Thanks for the compliments! Your Brunell collection is really impressive, we both have around the same percentage of total cards made, but Brunell has about 3 times as many cards as Dilfer. It looks like we have a few of the same sets on our wantlists, so let me comment about a few of them:

1996 Pro Line Intense Phone Card $3 Test: I don't think I've ever seen one of these, so I'm starting to doubt their existence.
I'm sure they exist but are in people's common boxes or in storage "in parts unknown"

1997 Destiny Series Phone Card #45 (NOT #'D)
1997 Destiny Series Phone Card #45 (#/500): How long have you known about these? I had never heard of them until a set of the two Dilfers (listed as "Pro Football Elite" series but I assume they're the same set as one was unnumbered and one was/500) popped up on eBay earlier this year. Somebody else bought the pair, and I haven't seen any since. Really weird.
I've known about these since 1999 - it's listed in the "SCD standard catalog of football cards" -there's actually 4 in the set. The regular (which I forgot to list) is #/4000, the Gold #/500 and the Jumbo #/500. There's possibly a unnumbered version. Also I have a uncut sheet of the phone cards that isn't numbered and I have the Jumbo (pic below).I was lucky enough to get this off ebay from a former exec that worked for destiny - he had quite a few listed. I think proffbhof (sp? - the guy that always sells oddball cards on ebay) may have the others.
phonef.jpg

phoneb.jpg

1997 Pinnacle Certified Promo #12: Beckett lists these, but I have never seen one, so I'm convinced they don't exist. I removed the Dilfer from my wantlist.
I have seen several different players from this set and HAVE the Steve Young one.

1997 Score Reserve Collection #46
1997 Score Reserve Collection#320: Man those are brutally tough, I'm glad I found the Dilfer several years ago. Haven't seen once since.
Agreed - I've seen only 2 (and it wasn't brunell) of these cards in my life. How hard were these?!? These were HOBBY boxes - I always thought HOBBY boxes flooded the market and inserts/parallels were easy to find, but not these even at 1:11 packs!
1997 Studio Postcard Portraits #5
1997 Studio Postcard Portraits #27: This is another set that I'm convinced doesn't exist. Removed the Dilfer from my wantlist a while ago.
I just purchased a "postcard portrait" on beckett's online store BUT AM FEARFUL that it's a 8x10 regular card and not the 4x6.

1998 Playoff Momentum 7-11 #1: Ugh those 7-11 parallels are IMPOSSIBLE. I have the Prestige, but not the Absolute or Momentum. Momentum is elusive as heck! These retail boxes are tough. For a while some Special and/or Walmart boxes parallels were extremely hard to find.
1998 Skybox Thunder Rave #213 (#/150): I think it's funny that we both have the Super Rave, but not the Rave.
Only saw I Brunell Rave and it sold for $46 - to a fly by night Brunell collector, but yeah I would trade a "Super Rave #/25" for a Rave ANYDAY!

1999 Collector's Edge Millennium Collection Advantage Blue #69: I got a bunch of Millennium Collection cards in Target blister packs, and with the Advantage cards the rookies were all blue and the veterans were all red. I don't think veteran blues exist, and seeing that it's the last Millennium Collection you need makes me feel even more sure. It's still on my wantlist though, because who knows with Collector's Edge?
I have all of his other blues so I pretty sure it exist - I know for sure the Blues were much harder to find. I hate these Online Shopping Networks exclusives.

2002 Pacific Private Stock Retail #43: I'm pretty sure the veterans from this set had identical cards for hobby and retail, just the rookies were different. I bought a couple of retail packs, and I've bought 2 or 3 "Hobby" Dilfers, all of which looked identical to retail cards. I've never got confirmation of this so the Hobby version remains on my wantlist. I think Beckett just made an error and listed different versions for the entire set.
I hope this is true because for several years I couldn't figure out Pacific's Hobby and retail base cards!

2002 Topps Heritage Black Backs #139: You can take this one off your wantlist, Topps only made black back variations for certain cards in the set, and Brunell isn't one of them. I had the Dilfer on my wantlist for 2 years before I found this out. Thank you!

Let me know if you do have the Charlie Jones Pennant Gold Redemption. Regarding the 1997 Playoff Contenders Pennants...as a way to limit the number of cards I had to buy, I pretty much ignored all the color variations in Playoff sets that weren't specifically mentioned in Beckett. I do pick up versions that I don't have if I happen to see them, but I don't spend a lot of time searching for them. I have the black and purple felt versions of the '97 Pennants, if you have any others I'd be interested.
I'll try to get a list for you some time in the future

By the way, if you want to know the history of your 1997 Showcase Row 2 Masterpiece Brunell...that card was pulled in my former hometown of Salinas, CA and displayed in Star Cards (local shop) for the sales price of....$1,000. I presume you paid considerably less for it. I just thought it was cool that you own the first 1/1 I had ever seen in person. Thanks for the story

Richard[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback and I hope my additional comments help. BTW you should have a running list of all your cards to look at! :)

Peter

Last edited: