Set Collecting share your frustrations...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arkaneinc

Prospect
I have been collecting the 2006 Topps Draft Picks and Prospects (football) master set for awhile now. If anyone has ever collected a set you know how frustrating it can become. Over time you start to notice things about the particular set, well at least with a Master Set.

For one reason or another in 2007 Topps Decided to release a group of cards that looked identical to the 2006 Topps DPP set in their 2007 Topps DPP set. They were the Class of '06 cards. To further complicate things there is not a single designation that these cards were from the 07 set other than those are the packs that you pulled them from. Card numbers #166-175 in the Base set were rookie Auto's /199. Card numbers #166-175 didn't exist in the subsets like Black Chrome, silver chrome or whatever. In the 07 Topps Draft Picks and Prospects "Class of 06" they were released.

Where the frustration comes in is when trying to collect the rookie auto's I've gotten into it time and time again with a trader because even though I specify that I need card number 175 for instance and that it's /199 and is autographed... 9/10 I end up getting the 2007 "06 class" card with no auto.

True #166 Rookie /199 from base set
2007 Class of 06

Same pretty much goes for the subsets. The nice thing is card numbers #166-175 do not exist in any subset of 06 Topps Dpp. Yet I saw people years ago spending an insane amount of money for these "Rookies".

On the other side of Master Set collecting you find that because some people know that you are collecting a Master set they figure they can get a premium out of you. A $10bv card with a sell value of $3-5 depending on the card might just cost you $40 because if you haven't found it already then trader "X" is your last resort. I smile at this because as frustrating as it is I feel a Master Set has no time limit to put together. I've been working on this set coming up on 5 years taking my sweet time with it and never spend too much.

There are a great many advantages to Set collecting. For me I was spending way too much money Breaking Cases and Boxes of stuff and getting junk in return that I decided I'd just do a set at a time. Grant it this is my first Master Set but I hope to collect subsets in the future and get a nice collection going on.

Anyways that's my tired attempt to vent a little about Set collecting I'm sure there are always others out there that have experienced something similar. Figured it'd be nice to trade stories.

I am a long time set collector. There are 2 things that I currently find VERY frustrating - short prints and variations. I really wish we could do away with these.

Thanks,

Jeff

This year's Topps set was my first since 1994, when I gave up due to numerous brands, lousy collation, variations to track down, cost, etc. The cost is still there, brands are fewer (although Topps has several flavors of cards to make up for that). Collation seems MUCH better than in the past, at least Topps base; unsure of Heritage, GQ, Bowman, Opening Day and the others. I, too, dislike the short prints and variations! Keeping track of Phillies cards is about all I do these days, and I have a few older sets started and almost finished. I will no doubt go for 2011 Topps Series II and the associated Phillies inserts and parallels.

I am also a set collect and have always been. I have an almost complete run from 1965 to present of Topps. I actually like the idea of the short prints and like in the older sets, the release in series. Having the hard to find/limited number cards make for the hunt of the cards.

Finding the last card you need for the set is the ****** of the completion. I have only been frustrated when you can't find the odd common that you know is a very easy card but just can't come across.

I'm a set builder as well. I have a pretty extensive set collection in baseball, football and basketball.
What I don't care for in the current sets are the intentionally created variations, SP's and inserts, all done for one purpose: to sell more cards. Yes, back in the day there were short prints, but they were largely due to perceived lack of interest in higher number series once football season started, or because of printing configurations. There were also variations, but they were "legitimately" created ~ we used to call them error cards! And "inserts" were something put into the pack (stamps, rub-offs, bucks) that were accessories to the set, not subsets of it.
All that being said, I still try to build a set of Topps and Topps Heritage every year. This may be my last year, however, since I am running out of room for my run of Topps baseball from 1953 through present (OK, there are a few cards missing from some of the more current sets, but I'll get them, and the '52 set will take forever and the Lottery) 60 years of Topps may be all I have room for.

Frank

Stopped set collecting a long time ago...Now days only working on limited sets like bcp 2011 only 110 cards in the set or hard to make sets like 2003 timeless treasures gold set (only 10 of each card was made)! Best regards, David

Shortprints is my main problem,when trying to built a set,you know the cards are out there somewhere,and most collectors don't want to give them up,I've completed a lot of sets here on the BENCH,now I'm tring to complete my master set of 2004 topps cracker jack.

Jon

Mine is 08 Documentary Master Set Shortprint Auto's and the fact the last part of the set was put into 09 Upper Deck Ser #1 has been my biggest pain.

Thought I'd add to my own post:

Another frustration is when you buy cards and they are not what you ordered. I just ordered 30 cards off sportlots only to receive the Black chromes instead of the Silver chromes... If you're going to sell something at least have the decency to research and properly list what you are selling...

I am doing my sets without sp's and variations this year. If I pull them, they are easy to trade or sell.
-Jason

I am a long time set collector. There are 2 things that I currently find VERY frustrating - short prints and variations. I really wish we could do away with these.

Thanks,

Jeff

I am doing my sets without sp's and variations this year. If I pull them, they are easy to trade or sell.
-Jason

My severe OCD will not allow me to not go after the SPs. I do avoid the variations. The other thing I hate is when they skip numbers. Years later who is going to remember what was skipped and why.

Thanks,

Jeff