Set collecting- The hunt vs. the value once it is complete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajax44

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
I've collected a few sets in my 30 years of collecting cards. However, I'm reflecting back on set collecting, and I've found that the hunt is more important than the value of the complete set. Of the few sets I finished that I sold down the line, I don't think I ever got over 100% of what I spent collecting it.

Is set collecting for profit even a thing? Where is the fun in buying the sets that other people painstakingly put together? There is no chase, no drama, no losing an auction in the last 30 seconds for one of those key cards in the set.

I don't think I'd ever buy a set. There's no fun in it. I might buy a 10-15 card sub-set, if I was trying to do a master collection, or a little regional set.

What are your experiences?

Ajax~
I was just contemplating that same thing, realizing the crazy amount of time that is sucked away in working out trades for completing sets. I think you're right, I don't think the proper time and energy are compensated.............. but it's fun isn't it?

I used to love completing sets. It is so hard with onsies and twosies given the price of postage and difficulty tracking down some of the cards, especially for some of the older sets. That being said, if anyone can knock a few off of my wantlist it won't hurt my feelings ;)

Dewayne

But it also can be hard.....been working on set for for 10 years....2003 timeless treasures gold serial #10......100 players and I have about 76. Once in a blue moon......I get one from my wantlist. Landed the Bo Jackson gold last year....so in about another 20 years I should be finished : ) Best regards, David

This is a hobby isn't it?? It's no different than anything else you do. How much do you spend on fishing or hunting equipment and then go out for hours waiting for fish, deer, turkey, etc. to show up?? It's all in the hunt. Look at the trophy. Complete set. Fish for dinner. Eight point buck mounted. Steaks in the freezer. Bottom line. Just have fun. Butch

This is a hobby isn't it?? It's no different than anything else you do. How much do you spend on fishing or hunting equipment and then go out for hours waiting for fish, deer, turkey, etc. to show up?? It's all in the hunt. Look at the trophy. Complete set. Fish for dinner. Eight point buck mounted. Steaks in the freezer. Bottom line. Just have fun. Butch

Great analogy Butch- I'm using this one on the wife! :)

If you're worried about the value of your "investment" then you're not doing it right. It's the chase that makes it fun, and if you make a few friends along the way then that's great. Just keep things reigned in a bit so it stays under the spouse's radar ;)

I agree with what you guys are saying. We are collecting for the fun, but money is so important to what we do. We use BV and ebay values to buy/sell and make sure trades are fair.

I've been collecting the 1999 UD Century Legends sets (all 4 sports) for 15 years. I have all the sets and insert sets, and almost 60% of the Epic Sigs (including the Gold versions). I'm not really actively doing the die-cut #ed to 100 versions of the base yet. I think it will be a life-long task, and I'm comfortable with that.

Keep the opinions and stories coming. I'd like to hear more about how you feel, as well as if anyone knows anyone that buy sets.

Great analogy Butch- I'm using this one on the wife! :)

AGREED with both of you, it is a hobby, and I try to make it fun, life is way too short otherwise! As for set collecting, I like custom sets, i.e. my one signed card from every one of Jamie Moyer's MLB teams, I have never done a big set, I dont have the a. time, b. patience, c. money!!!

God Bless friends,

Kevin Mc

I use to battle the value vs. the hunt dilemma about my set collecting. About 3 years ago, I finally found the last card (high number) to complete 1972 Topps baseball. That set took me 4 years to put together. At the same show, still basking in the euphoria of completing a huge project, I found an amazing deal on a 1971 Topps baseball complete set. After spending an hour looking over the set (even using a magnifying glass), I made an offer and bought the set.
I would guess it cost me half what it would have to put it together, not to mention years. I came home and added to my collection. Last week, I completed the 1970 Topps baseball; finally landing a Nolan Ryan (#712) that met my condition requirement. That binder now sits on the shelf.
Now I look at 1970, 1971 and 1972 sitting next to each other. The 1971 set does not feel like it's mine. I have no stories, no memories of finding the difficult cards or closing out a tough project. To be honest, now that I finished 1970, I'm thinking of putting collecting a 1971 set, just because it feels like I cheated.
On a quick side note for everyone that is working on these early 1970's sets, 1970 seemed much easier to put together than 1972 or 1973.

My $.02,
Marvin