SF Can Take On Salary For Anyone Needing To Shed It

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesNevans

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I'm not being altruistic, just practical to the needs of many in the league who have financial issues and just a handfull of us in position to take on salary. I have room this year and next to take on salary, but I need something on the back-end, good prospects that will return me the excess value in later years. Let me know who you need to move or how much and I'll pair it with an offer that nets me my wants and we can hammer something out.

Interest in Beltre or Blalock? Also D.Roberts

You understand what I'm trying to do here? Blalock is a good player under team control for this year and the next two at a reasonable salary. Same could be said of Beltre who at worse is worth his salary. Roberts is a bit of an albatross (a lot of money, no power playing LF only) though and I may be able to find a minor league pairing to meet my tastes. I just want to make sure you are clear with what it is I'm doing here, because there really is only about three of us in the league that can take on more than $3m in net salary.

Reds have some interest, but it's still tough for me to assess excess value and determine how much of it is a salary dump vs. fair value for the player. Take Russell Branyan for example. He's hitting .300 and on pace for 54 HR and a VORP of 56.2. I think he has some excess value, but I guess it depends on whether you think he can keep that pace up through the rest of his contract. Maybe it's worth the risk for a team in need of a power hitting 3B?

I assume if I trade him, I could get a cheaper player close to even excess value back in return without having to deal a top prospect.

1B Olmedo Saenz on the other hand would probably take a much better prospect for someone to take on his salary since his expected production is nowhere near Branyan's.

Those would be the two guys I'd like to deal if you have any ideas for either one. Or, if I have other more appealing guys like Dmitri Young or Doug Davis, let me know.

Eric

Reds have some interest, but it's still tough for me to assess excess value and determine how much of it is a salary dump vs. fair value for the player. Take Russell Branyan for example. He's hitting .300 and on pace for 54 HR and a VORP of 56.2. I think he has some excess value, but I guess it depends on whether you think he can keep that pace up through the rest of his contract. Maybe it's worth the risk for a team in need of a power hitting 3B?

I assume if I trade him, I could get a cheaper player close to even excess value back in return without having to deal a top prospect.

1B Olmedo Saenz on the other hand would probably take a much better prospect for someone to take on his salary since his expected production is nowhere near Branyan's.

Those would be the two guys I'd like to deal if you have any ideas for either one. Or, if I have other more appealing guys like Dmitri Young or Doug Davis, let me know.

Eric

Take a look at the BSL financial page, only three of thirty teams have the ability to take on more than $3m in salary, so regardless of what value they deliver this year you can't get people to pay for it. Once I eat up the $20m in salary I can take on that is all, some people are going to get desperate like Boston, and Texas is already in the red and has cut way back. If finacial flexibilty is what a team needs they aren't going to have many choices, especially if a team they are trading with has dropped back in the playoff picture.

James what did you have in mind? Im a little confused do you have any interest in Roberts ?

Roberts is due $21m over the next nearly three years ($8m vesting option year three), as a 34 year old with no power and limited to playing LF this is the guy I'd pair with a top prospect. No, I'm not taking Flores, but LF David Hess would be the guy I'd take with him, returning to your side would be RF Buck Coats in AAA. If you want to move Beltre or Blalock I can take one of them on, Blalock prefered and I can get you back someone like Counsell.

Take a look at the BSL financial page, only three of thirty teams have the ability to take on more than $3m in salary, so regardless of what value they deliver this year you can't get people to pay for it. Once I eat up the $20m in salary I can take on that is all, some people are going to get desperate like Boston, and Texas is already in the red and has cut way back. If finacial flexibilty is what a team needs they aren't going to have many choices, especially if a team they are trading with has dropped back in the playoff picture.

You have to also remember that the majority of franchises (well, all except Texas) have a cash balance they can eat into as well to cover overages on payroll. While it is not recommended (especially for the teams that will owe luxury tax!) most teams will have to deal with for a few seasons.

A major flaw in the league financial system was the creation/drafting of the aaa/aa leagues. A HUGE amount of highly talented players were throw into the mix and the league financial system was not built to withstand the amount of money they are going to want.

I expect that the finances will be in great flux the next few years until some of the enormous contracts start to clear off and PEOPLE START GETTING REASONABLE with their extensions and free agent signings.

Cory

Any interest in any of the guys I mentioned in my post?

Branyan is the classic albatross, and you don't seem to know it. He is due $56m guarenteed over the next four years even as he is already 31 and yet his contact is down to 39. He may still give some value this year, but I doubt it will be excess, then there are three more years of sub-value. Saenz is already 36, his contract has $17.7m guarenteed over two years and he won't make that vesting option for year three. I don't see a high enough prospect to take either on, not only no Top 100 guys, your highest prospect is #164.

Thanks for checking. I agree that Saenz has no value - I'm just glad I can dump him after 2008. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll retire!

I disagree on Branyan though. If he were 36 years old and making $20 million, I'd call it a big albatross. He's slightly overpaid, but I certainly wouldn't call it an albatross when he's on track for 54 HR and he's #2 SLG in the NL. I think he's young enough to keep it going and hit 40+ HR per year but I guess I'll just have to wait and see! I'm glad he's on my side, just wish he was about $4 million cheaper.

Eric

James I could do this lmk.

D.Roberts and Hess for Kemp.

Still get a top 100 prospect and Roberts is solid right now speed makes up for the power. Gets me a decent replacement

James I could do this lmk.

D.Roberts and Hess for Kemp.

Still get a top 100 prospect and Roberts is solid right now speed makes up for the power. Gets me a decent replacement

Not the direction I'm going for. I wouldn't do Hess (#100) for Kemp straight up and you want me to take the Roberts contract?

Well I think Hess is better then Kemp he's 21 solid in all categories and blazing speed. Yes you take on contract but still a solid player for the present no he has no power but a good 1 or 2 hitter

Well I think Hess is better then Kemp he's 21 solid in all categories and blazing speed. Yes you take on contract but still a solid player for the present no he has no power but a good 1 or 2 hitter

Again, my goal here is to not trade my prospects but take on other people's salary problem for their prospects. I'm in the catbird's seat on this and I can just wait all the way to mid season to make the deals, but once the money is gone it's gone, so people are going to have to edge ahead of others to survive the budget crunch that's coming.

Back