Shipping - Best way to Ship without paying $4.70

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

christopher.galle

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I'm all about shipping safe. And I will admit, I think the USPS is a waste of human fluid and has no purpose that couldn't be filled by competent companies. At this point they are just holding on and trying to finance the retirement accounts of their union members. But what is the most economical way to ship? Is there a happy medium between an envelope and a $4.70 padded envelope (Envelope cost NOT INCLUDED). What exactly am I missing here, and does anyone else have the USPS at the top of their list when the Zombie Apocalypse starts?

It’s crazy expensive to trade these days on the Bench, but bubble mailer is the only safe way to truly get higher end cards or bulk cards safely to destination! I might egg my local post office during the apocalypse…LMAO
I’ve had a beautiful Allen Ginter Refractor of Judge creased down the middle of card top to bottom in PWE protected…SUCKS! Why would a postal worker or machine bend an envelope longways? Doesn’t make any sense to me…
Thanks Josh

It’s crazy expensive to trade these days on the Bench, but bubble mailer is the only safe way to truly get higher end cards or bulk cards safely to destination! I might egg my local post office during the apocalypse…LMAO
I’ve had a beautiful Allen Ginter Refractor of Judge creased down the middle of card top to bottom in PWE protected…SUCKS! Why would a postal worker or machine bend an envelope longways? Doesn’t make any sense to me…
Thanks Josh
Because you hadn't thought about it until getting it that way. USPS wanted to remind you of their ingenuity.

Paying for postage online is the way to go (shipstation/pirateship/etc.) its cheaper, lets you just drop off or have them just scan at the PO. I've tried the approach of doing bigger trades to make it worth the shipping costs, but then it can be difficult to find trade partners with needs that align.

A few ways to make sure you cut the costs down are to do the following:

1) do not EVER bring to USPS and have them calculate the shipping for you. That will cost you about $1 each package for the convenience of them doing it. I personally use PayPal shipping, but there are others out there. Find the one you like and enjoy the savings!

2) on theBench, MOST of us are perfectly fine with and encourage reusing shipping supplies. You can reuse the bubble mailer and that will save 50-75 cents each time as well.

3) low end cards, use a non machinable stamp to ship. Those are 75 cents each. They can ship up to two ounces on a Non Machinable stamp, so, use that extra weight allowance to protect the card. I use thin cardboard on both sides of the card. Usually I cut up a cereal box, pasta box or whatever I have about to go out to the recycling. Then, on the leading edge of the envelope, I put a strip of tape front and back. That helps prevent being caught on the machine IF the USPS decides to send the non machinable envelope through the machine. I have shipped this way 100s of times and not once has a card been lost or damaged.

Hope all this helps you to save money on shipping.

Postage is just part of the hobby.

You could steal, I mean borrow, the UPS account of someone and send everything via UPS.

The trading of cards on any site is a very expensive hobby. When we trade we are essentially paying to have interaction with others who enjoy the same thing as you. It would be far cheaper to use Ebay or sportlots and just buy the cards we want.

By the time I open and sort cards, create a trade page or reply to others posts, then pack and ship cards, a considerable amount of time and money has been used. But it is justified because I enjoy trading.

Having a silly, uninformed rant about the post office is just more time and energy you are spending. In my opinion.

Thanks, Frank

Postage is just part of the hobby.

You could steal, I mean borrow, the UPS account of someone and send everything via UPS.

The trading of cards on any site is a very expensive hobby. When we trade we are essentially paying to have interaction with others who enjoy the same thing as you. It would be far cheaper to use Ebay or sportlots and just buy the cards we want.

By the time I open and sort cards, create a trade page or reply to others posts, then pack and ship cards, a considerable amount of time and money has been used. But it is justified because I enjoy trading.

Having a silly, uninformed rant about the post office is just more time and energy you are spending. In my opinion.

Thanks, Frank
I agree Frank...
Id rather connect with others who love trading also, spend the $ to trade for the card instead of purchasing on FeeBay! I've built quite a few solid trade partners since trading on the Bench...my PC has SOARED to new heights because of the Bench....
Thanks Josh

I agree Frank...
Id rather connect with others who love trading also, spend the $ to trade for the card instead of purchasing on FeeBay! I've built quite a few solid trade partners since trading on the Bench...my PC has SOARED to new heights because of the Bench....
Thanks Josh
Feebay is right Josh! I just calculated my sales and purchases for 2021 this morning, my gosh ebay cost me a lot! I can think of a couple more scarce items I was glad I found on there, but I felt like I spent WAY more than what I ended up with was actually worth to me. I am going to remember this going in to 2022!

Blessings,

Kevin

A bubble mailer can be sent without tracking for less than $2.00. If envelope is not too thick it can be sent as a "flat". I have sent as many as 10 cards packed between 2 top loaders as a flat and paid $1.36. You could probably send more than 10 cards. The Post Office has a template with holes in it to mimic the maximum size of the envelope. If it goes through the hole, it can go as a flat. I still use tracking for higher value cards, but if you are comfortable sending without tracking, you can save some money.

A few ways to make sure you cut the costs down are to do the following:

1) do not EVER bring to USPS and have them calculate the shipping for you. That will cost you about $1 each package for the convenience of them doing it. I personally use PayPal shipping, but there are others out there. Find the one you like and enjoy the savings!

2) on theBench, MOST of us are perfectly fine with and encourage reusing shipping supplies. You can reuse the bubble mailer and that will save 50-75 cents each time as well.

3) low end cards, use a non machinable stamp to ship. Those are 75 cents each. They can ship up to two ounces on a Non Machinable stamp, so, use that extra weight allowance to protect the card. I use thin cardboard on both sides of the card. Usually I cut up a cereal box, pasta box or whatever I have about to go out to the recycling. Then, on the leading edge of the envelope, I put a strip of tape front and back. That helps prevent being caught on the machine IF the USPS decides to send the non machinable envelope through the machine. I have shipped this way 100s of times and not once has a card been lost or damaged.

Hope all this helps you to save money on shipping.
Low end trades, under 6 cards. I like the idea of a non machinable stamp. I often will indicate non machine on the front of the envelop and put a forever stamp plus the $0.28 stamp to cover but I like the idea of the stamp you mentioned with the extra weight included. Thx Jim

I will also say, my local USPS branch is good with me sending via Media Mail, I asked a couple years ago and they said cards were fine, as they are technically photographs. Not sure if everyone's post office will agree, but that has saved me a good bit of money over the last few years!

Blessings,

Kevin

I will also say, my local USPS branch is good with me sending via Media Mail, I asked a couple years ago and they said cards were fine, as they are technically photographs. Not sure if everyone's post office will agree, but that has saved me a good bit of money over the last few years!

Blessings,

Kevin
I'm surprised that your PO is allowing media mail for cards. I've never heard of that, and a google search doesn't indicate that any photographs are approved for media mail.

Mine told me that was fine, that's odd. I did some research and it sounds like cards dont qualify. Good to know going forward!

Last edited:
The Post Office has a template with holes in it to mimic the maximum size of the envelope. If it goes through the hole, it can go as a flat.
Has your post office given you one? My post office has some behind the counter, I always want to ask for one, but some of the clerks are pretty salty.

Thanks, Frank

Pirate Ship has saved me a ton over the years. I also usually ask if there's a way to make trades and transactions bigger. About half the time it works and both sides get more out of their shipping dollars.

I use pirateship as it saves quite a bit of $ over the years and if you send something that you need insurance on they are way cheaper and they don’t broadcast it on the label for thieves. Another method I have used in the past is by putting the card in a Christmas Card since you can buy them on discount after the holidays or check your local dollar store.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. Some very good info. USPS still remains on my list for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Non Machineable stamp? Can you purchase that at the Post Office?

Last edited:

Blessings,

Kevin
My Post Office wouldn't allow the media mail for cards. It shouldn't be any different than reading material. You have the picture and something to read on the card. They should allow media mail in my opinion. You are lucky to catch the right PO.

My Post Office wouldn't allow the media mail for cards. It shouldn't be any different than reading material. You have the picture and something to read on the card. They should allow media mail in my opinion. You are lucky to catch the right PO.
Well, that was kind of how I thought about it @anglinomics , I know their standards have changed over the past 8-10 years of what qualifies, so I may have to clarify next time I mail something!

Blessings,

Kevin