Should I just do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbrown2626

Prospect
OK, I'm a Steve Garvey collector and my latest goal is getting all regular issue Topps cards (1971 - 1987) with a PSA of at least 8. I have all but 1986 and there is only 47 total in the population report that have ever been graded. What would you do?

1. Wait for Ebay auction
2. buy large lot of 1986 on ebay then get top 1 or 2 graded myself?
3. give it up, 1986 cards suck anyways

I would wait, you are so close, if you buy a large box, and send one in, and it comes back a 7, you will be very frustrated. '86 and '71 are such tough years with the black borders. I do see some OPC '86 Garvey's available, why not buy one of them until you see a Topps come available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-TOPPS-...S_Baseball&hash=item51afaa6069#ht_1988wt_1016

I'd just buy that and see what it gets you. Buying a card like that online isn't cost effective as a single, and as you pointed out, with only 47 submitted, it could be a while before one comes up for bid.

the other option is to try and track down the winner of
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-6-19...e&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_1085wt_1051

and see if they'd sell the Garvey

yeah, I had just looked those both up. I bought the 48 card lot. only 11 bucks total so it's not a big investment. Good suggestion on tracking down the winning bidder.

I was actually thinking about this this morning. Another thing to keep in mind is the cost of grading. Do you have a membership or free grading certificates? (I hope so) Looking at the non member prices I see $17 to get a card graded at the slowest level and $18 is the lowest return shipping I saw, that's $35 for one card, plus shipping there you could be close to $40 for that one card. $36-38 for a 1986 PSA 8 Garvey seems like overkill, you could track down the auction winner and offer him $15 for just the Garvey and still be $20 ahead and the guy would have made double his cost for just the one card

I tried to do the same, but won't pay more than a few bucks for anything post 1980 and can't land that 71 at a price I am willing to pay. I figure I could out wait everyone who needs a PSA 8 Garvey, but that is not working. The cheapest one I have seen was somewhere around $70 delivered, which may be considered a bargain as some sell for over $100 before s/h. My goal was to land one for $50 delivered, but I was nowhere near that so I upped it to $60...still no success. Not ready to up the mark, maybe someday i will get lucky.

I have probably tracked 100 or more sales of that card over the years, maybe more. I have a 7.5 and a SGC card roughly equal to a 7.

I'm not much of a grader - having never submitted anything to get graded, so I would just wait it out and get one off ebay (and outbid mrmopar, of course :) )

Welp, I got my 86 Garvey. One came up on ebay and i got it for a whopping .99 cents. I now have 71-87 all PSA 8's or higher. Time to now upgrade those 8's to 9's or 10's...........

I would not be any competition for a 1986 Topps PSA 8, as noted by the OP who won it for 99 cents. I probably wouldn't even pay that, because the seller probably wanted $3-5 to ship it!

I'm not much of a grader - having never submitted anything to get graded, so I would just wait it out and get one off ebay (and outbid mrmopar, of course :) )

congrats mbrown2626. i still have had no luck winning a 71 PSA 8 in my price range. until i get that one, there is no point in owning graded late 80s cards. Recently they have been selling even stronger (many topping $100-125 and more), so I suppose my best shot was grabbing one of those $70-80 ones, but I refuse!

I would not be any competition for a 1986 Topps PSA 8, as noted by the OP who won it for 99 cents. I probably wouldn't even pay that, because the seller probably wanted $3-5 to ship it!

congrats mbrown2626. i still have had no luck winning a 71 PSA 8 in my price range. until i get that one, there is no point in owning graded late 80s cards. Recently they have been selling even stronger (many topping $100-125 and more), so I suppose my best shot was grabbing one of those $70-80 ones, but I refuse!

Dang, last few have gone in the $150-200 range! Yikes!