Should've bought it then

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wow, I'm strongly against those auto's. They made like 20 differnt variations and that's just not fun and or worth the money to me. That's weird though, someone must have missed the auction the first times.

Wow, I'm strongly against those auto's. They made like 20 differnt variations and that's just not fun and or worth the money to me. That's weird though, someone must have missed the auction the first times.

Score inserts are the worst if you are a player collector...i hate them. I just hope no one does a moments and milestones football set with Bradshaw in it...I think I would probably cry lol.

yea bet the winner would be kicking him/herself if they'd seen the BIN listing...

They probably saw it, but half the problem with BIN options is that once a person wants it, that's it. Most auctions thrive on the fact that people hate to lose, and common sense goes out the window. With a BIN, unless it is insanely underpriced, a lot of people are afraid to take the plunge because they think they'll find it for half what they paid next week. They reason that if it was that great a deal, someone would have bought it already. When it runs in full auction mode, you can see 5 other people want that card so a lot of people convince themselves it's worth more than it is.

I was at an auction years ago, probably 1994 or so. Long time dealer/promoter was auctioning off his collection. They advertised the lots and had lists available a couple months in advance. I looked it over, and there were a few lots of traded sets, Topps, Fleer, Score. I didn't have any in my collection at the time, mostly due to the 82-4 Topps being $100 sets for so long when they were getting hot and me being cheap. I bought the Topps lot, 81-88 (no 1982), outbid another collector. Then a lot of 89-91 came up, won that lot. 87-90 Fleer, won that lot. 1986 Fleer came up and it started at $1. Got to $20 and the other guy blurts out $50! I wasn't going that high, so I stopped bidding. We were chatting at the cash out line, and he said he was glad he won that one, since I outbid him on so many others. I explained I was just filling holes in my collection and the lots were going for decent prices, a little below most sell prices, but I couldn't bring myself to pay $50 for the 86 Fleer. He told me that was about market value, I told him it was quite a bit above market. He said I must not be current on my market values. I walked out the auction room door to a dealer I knew sold those types of sets, the other guy was still beside me. I asked the dealer what his price was on 86 Fleer updates, he said $30, I asked if he'd take $25, he said sure. The other guy called me a name that sounds like glassbowl and stormed off.

Rationally, I thought, no way that card has a high book above $120. There are exceptions, but it seems like I'm usually able to get cards at low book, which in this case I was projecting to be $60.I thought, as soon as it goes below $70, I'll grab it. That didn't happen, obviously.

I'm not brokenhearted about it. I still think I would have been overpaying at $75.

Linn

They probably saw it, but half the problem with BIN options is that once a person wants it, that's it. Most auctions thrive on the fact that people hate to lose, and common sense goes out the window. With a BIN, unless it is insanely underpriced, a lot of people are afraid to take the plunge because they think they'll find it for half what they paid next week. They reason that if it was that great a deal, someone would have bought it already. When it runs in full auction mode, you can see 5 other people want that card so a lot of people convince themselves it's worth more than it is.

I was at an auction years ago, probably 1994 or so. Long time dealer/promoter was auctioning off his collection. They advertised the lots and had lists available a couple months in advance. I looked it over, and there were a few lots of traded sets, Topps, Fleer, Score. I didn't have any in my collection at the time, mostly due to the 82-4 Topps being $100 sets for so long when they were getting hot and me being cheap. I bought the Topps lot, 81-88 (no 1982), outbid another collector. Then a lot of 89-91 came up, won that lot. 87-90 Fleer, won that lot. 1986 Fleer came up and it started at $1. Got to $20 and the other guy blurts out $50! I wasn't going that high, so I stopped bidding. We were chatting at the cash out line, and he said he was glad he won that one, since I outbid him on so many others. I explained I was just filling holes in my collection and the lots were going for decent prices, a little below most sell prices, but I couldn't bring myself to pay $50 for the 86 Fleer. He told me that was about market value, I told him it was quite a bit above market. He said I must not be current on my market values. I walked out the auction room door to a dealer I knew sold those types of sets, the other guy was still beside me. I asked the dealer what his price was on 86 Fleer updates, he said $30, I asked if he'd take $25, he said sure. The other guy called me a name that sounds like glassbowl and stormed off.

hahaha nice story, some people are just crazy about their cards

Rationally, I thought, no way that card has a high book above $120. There are exceptions, but it seems like I'm usually able to get cards at low book, which in this case I was projecting to be $60.I thought, as soon as it goes below $70, I'll grab it. That didn't happen, obviously.

I'm not brokenhearted about it. I still think I would have been overpaying at $75.

Linn

And now the problem is that the next person listing one will see it sold at $100 and list it Buy It Now as $125. I think your strategy is sound - just too bad it didn't work out this time.

And now the problem is that the next person listing one will see it sold at $100 and list it Buy It Now as $125. I think your strategy is sound - just too bad it didn't work out this time.

Agreed, Good job on not budging on what you thought the card is worth, you didn't get caught up in the hype of the setting. Eventually one may come down from $100 otherwise you might be SOL.

I have seen that before on a couple cards. One card I was watching was listed at $99 BIN and was listed for over 3 months. He finally listed it as a regular auction with a starting price of $49. It went for $103.