Site activity, participation rewards and general interest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Folks,

I have been lurking mostly for the last couple of months, mainly because the quality of participation here just fell off the radar. i found a new home elsewhere, but even there the topics are starting to get stale. I hope that the new program of reward points will help, but also fear that it just becomes a way for people to earn points with little substance behind it. I certainly don't need incentive to participate, but to sustain interest, a group has to step up together. A few people carrying the load won't work.

No offense, but when a thread about loving chicken gets more hits and replies than a legit card related post, then there is a problem!

Let's bring some thoughtful topics back. Share knowledge, scan photos, ask questions and make the site interesting for people who are here because of cards. I'll start by sharing some research i have been doing on Dodger team issue items:

This is a fairly narrow area of interest I realize (if you are not a Dodger fan/collector, you probably could care less), but I just finished a fairly large scanning project in which I cataloged all the different versions of the LA Dodgers 5x7 black and white picture pack photos, including minor variations. the Dodgers issued a pack of 20 photos in an envelope. The price ranged from 50 cents to $1.50 and the years were approximately 1962-1983. These were sold at the stadium concession stands and possibly through the mail. I bought a set personally back in 1981 when I attended my first (and still to this day the only) Dodger game. It doesn't help me that I live in Washington though, otherwise I'm sure there would have been more games under my belt.

I have about 40 packs to pull from, plus another stack of loose photos equal to about 10-15 packs that I have hoarded over the years and finally thought to see what I had. I hope to do the same for the postcards and the 8x10 player photos some day as well. The data available out there for Dodger team issue items is lame at best and because the years of issue can be blurry on this stuff, it makes it that much harder to pinpoint. It is apparent that some photos/PCs were carried across multiple years too. Next step is to narrow down year of issue where I can!

I hope someone besides me finds this topic interesting...

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmo...on/Dodgers BW 5x7 Photo Library?sort=9&page=1

Liked the black & white Dodgers pics. Always likes B & W in any picture format. I even change some of my family pictures on the PC to black & white. As far as the Chicken posting
I just think guys were just having some fun as the way postings have slowed downed and what people are trading for also has slowed. I know for me my posting has slowed a lot since
I first signed up on the Bench. Not being a set collector has been most of the issue for me. It is hard sometimes to trade the base away for inserts or players I collect as most set collectors
like to trade base for base. So I only buy a few lower end products for trading and try to buy the higher end when I can, that way I don't have so much base laying around. So now I
check the site daily looking to see what is being offered for trade and if I need it I post a reply. But only when I think I have something to offer back. Also feel that since Topps has monopolized
the baseball card portion there is less competition in products being offered. I heard Topps is exclusive now to 2020. Thought Panini was going to get a MLB license but that seems to have faded.

As far as the Cash incentive maybe it will bring back some interest in the site but I have seen people abuse things like this before and the program will probably get tweaked as it goes along.
So I don't expect it to be a problem and like the idea of something new happening here.

Plenty of views but not many responses :)

I see your finally unearthing the collection.

Curt - I love looking at items like ones that you posted. Being a player collector only for so long, I missed out on seeing so many cool items. If Dawson wasn't in it, I wasn't interested.

Thanks
Craig

Craig,

I am somewhat the same way, although thankfully I was intrigued by oddball sets and as a Dodger collector, I get a variety of hits by Dodgers being in sets. If I missed it because Garvey wasn't included, I'd have a pretty slim perspective of the hobby by now.

Not for sure if this will help with determining any of the years, but I came across this Cardinals website that has a lot of info on pictures. I do not collect the team sets, just the photos of a few guys I collect like Lankford. I enjoyed looking at your site. Anyone can find out what a card looks like, but it is a lot of work finding the oddball items and correctly identifying them.

Ray