Softening my stance on paying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HockeyBrawler

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
One of the biggest things I said I would never do is pay for a TTM autograph. In my opinion, a player should sign because he wants to sign, not because there's a market for his signature. The most I had ever done is to send a few dollars with European or Asian requests to cover return postage since stamps are tough to come across.

Even in-person, I've paid for an autograph at a show only twice in my life. It's even rare that I buy an autograph from a dealer or another collector.

I've since softened my stance on it. While I still won't pay much, I'm now okay with paying up to $5 per signed card on players I need for sets if I TTM them. And so with that, I got my first two back...

JULY 31
Joe Carter, c/o home, 1/1, 7 days, $5

AUGUST 1
Wade Boggs, c/o home, 3/3, 8 days, $10 (total, not each)

I have a few others I plan to send off soon once I have a few spare dollars. Hopefully in the fall once my wife's new job is going.

hey i understand not wanting to pay. but some of these guys aint rich either and the 5 clams helps sometimes too. especially on the ones we really want lol.

good grab on the two too.

dave

You and I have that in common, never paid more than a buck or two in the past, but lately, I will go up to $5.00 and it's mainly because it's the only way I can continue to make headway with the sets I have. All the best to you....

A lot of times the money they charge goes to charity(as is the case with Boggs) so I don't see what the big deal is to pay a couple bucks here and there.

A lot of times the money they charge goes to charity(as is the case with Boggs) so I don't see what the big deal is to pay a couple bucks here and there.

Like I said, personal belief that a player should sign an autograph because he wants to, not just because there's a profitable market out there for it, even if that profit is for a good cause.

I do wish I could know more about the charities that the money goes toward. I know Andre Dawson's is for sickle cell anemia research, Earl Weaver was for a children's hospital, Terry Steinbach goes for a scholarship fund. Meanwhile, I know Sid Bream's goes to Liberty University, so I'm glad I got him when he was still free.

Lol @ the Sid Bream jab. I don't love paying either, but I have stopped minding too much when its only $5, even $10 if it's a good player or a player who would otherwise never sign.

Like I said, personal belief that a player should sign an autograph because he wants to, not just because there's a profitable market out there for it, even if that profit is for a good cause.

I do wish I could know more about the charities that the money goes toward. I know Andre Dawson's is for sickle cell anemia research, Earl Weaver was for a children's hospital, Terry Steinbach goes for a scholarship fund. Meanwhile, I know Sid Bream's goes to Liberty University, so I'm glad I got him when he was still free.

Well, they all used to sign for free until the demand for TTM autos got so high that they started charging. Would you really want to sit at your kitchen table and sign 100 baseball cards for free when you had other things to do?

I've actually had this conversation with a couple retired players and that is how they feel. Most of these guys have no problem signing for free if you see them in person. I've got Sid Bream numerous times for free during Braves Fantsy camp.

Last edited: