Sports Radio 610 Fan Fest Today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H

houbb

Accomplished what I went there for today. Over all, they had 29 athletes, some national, and some local for this free...yes, free...event. I only went there to get just a few of the players, and came away with this...

Jose Canseco 8x10
Tony Casillas 8x10
Robert Brazile 8x10
Elvin Bethea 1970 Topps (for my set)
J.R. Richard 1972 Topps RC

Just a a quick thought on Robert Brazile: I got to see Robert Brazile play throughout his entire career in Houston. Yes, Lawrence Taylor is given a lot of credit for revolutioning his position, but it was Robert Brazile who really paved the way for him with that style of play. After Brazile came up in 1975, teams began changing their offenses to try to avoid him on the field. He was that good, and that dangerous. I remember watching the second game of the 1976 season on NBC with the sound down, so I could listen to the Oilers broadcast on 610. It was early in the first quarter when Brazile hit O.J. Simpson for a vicious hit for a loss of a yard. I remember hearing Ron Franklin saying on the radio, "I think Robert Brazile just sent the Juice a message."

Flash forward to today, and I handed Mr. Brazile a photo of him giving Simpson a helping hand after that very play. Brazile just looked at that photo for a minute, and I said, "You remember that hit, don't you?" He laughed, and said yes, he did. I told I remembered it, too, and shared with him what Franklin said that day. I said, "I understand this is where you introduced yourself to Mr. Simpson." He laughed again and said, "That's true." He ponited to the picture, and said, "I'm telling him here, 'The name is Robert Brazile.'"

Simpson, by the way, gained a total of 38 yards that day in a game won by the Oilers, 13-3. He may not be there yet, but Brazile belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

A closing thought on Canseco. I thought it was really classy of Canseco to take a quick break from his signing session to say hello to J.R. Richard, who was doing a radio interview. He told him he thought Richard was a legend and how much respect he had for him for the way he played the game, and how he has moved on in life, even though baseball has turned his back on him, just like it has turned it's back on Canseco. By the way, Canseco was awesome with the fans, especially the young ones at the event. It was a very cool day!

sounds like it was a good time. and its pretty cool that you got to talk to mr brazile about the pic of him.. congrats on the pick ups!!!

Man, I wish I had known about this. I woulda come back just for Canseco. It's good to hear he was so good with the fans, I hope I get to meet him one day. Sounds like a good time.

Thanks guys! Yes, I came away with a positive impression of Canseco. Yes, I know this is his public personality, but he still came across as very positive. By the way, he said the fans in Texas were the best of all the places he played in MLB.

I wanted to come down for this but it did not happen, glad you got to go Jim

I wanted to come down for this but it did not happen, glad you got to go Jim

It was a pretty cool event, Darrell. Sorry you missed it. I would have liked have gone through the lines for Robert Horry and Mario Elie, but they were at the same time as a couple of others I wanted to get just a little bit more. Now to send this '72 Topps off to Ray Busse, the only player I don't have on the card, to complete the trifecta.

Yes, J.R. was simply the most devastating pitcher I ever saw, and that includes Nolan Ryan. I saw both of those guys pitch quite a bit in their prime, and J.R. was even scarier. Case in point, when the Astros made Nolan Ryan the first Million Dollar player in the winter of 1979, he came in as the number THREE pitcher in the Astros rotation. J.R. was the ace, and Joe Niekro was the number two starter. When Richard took the mound, you should have seen the look of intimidation in the faces of the best hitters in the NL at the time. I still cringe when I see pictures of him lying on the Astrodome floor when he had his stroke during a workout in 1980. If team doctors had been able to find the problem before the stroke, J.R. would be in the Hall of Fame today.