Strasburgh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

But see that's my entire point. Carlton pitched on a team that had NO run support but seem to get the win. it all starts with the pitcher. Did he let up runs? hits? walks? People are like "oh man the ss missed placed that double play" but why did the pitcher throw the ball right down the middle of the plate?
See my point? I think he is a great pitcher. his pitch count has dropped a lot per game and his ERA. went way up. that is facts. but like I said. yes I want him to do bad. he players in my division and can cause a threat to my Phillies.

I need to see some stats:) What was the run support for Carlton that year?

No offence and yes I am true die hard Phillies Phan but i am not delusioal..

Right about now, Cleveland is where delusional people roam. LeBron holding us hostage, the Indians playing like minor leaguers. But I digress.:p

About Strasburg, he could easily have a bright future. I was watching the game against the Indians and he definitely had something going right for him. He almost single-handedly sold out the stadium with the lowest attendance in the majors for a game between two of the worst teams for pete's sake!:p It's just a matter of staying healthy and consistent. Just my two cents.
Christian

I need to see some stats:) What was the run support for Carlton that year?

WOW. That is way over my head. I would not even know where t start to figure that out. ;)

Right about now, Cleveland is where delusional people roam. LeBron holding us hostage, the Indians playing like minor leaguers. But I digress.:p

About Strasburg, he could easily have a bright future. I was watching the game against the Indians and he definitely had something going right for him. He almost single-handedly sold out the stadium with the lowest attendance in the majors for a game between two of the worst teams for pete's sake!:p It's just a matter of staying healthy and consistent. Just my two cents.
Christian

He didn't do that the media did. They hyped this poor kid up like to be some super hero. I felt bad for him. imagine the pressure he was under trying to keep up with what everyone was saying about him? But seeing how he can pitch against good teams now we finally realize he is human after all.
This kid has great potential. He is very young and has a long time to learn alot. It just scares me the way he throws so hard all the time. I fear for his arm.

Last edited:
You must be grading on one tough curve because I find it hard to call any of his 6 starts "lack luster", outside of one maybe.

Exactly my thoughts.

Hype aside... he looks like the real deal. In cards people LOVE "sure things" ala Albert Pujols in 2001. This is exactly what his cards did.

WOW. That is way over my head. I would not even know where t start to figure that out. ;)

The Phillies scored 3.5 runs per game in support of Carlton during the 1972 season. By contrast, the Nationals have scored less than 2 runs per game in support of Strasburg.

Strasburg reminds me more of Gooden rather than Prior, but any comparisons to Carlton can be ruled out. Carlton was a three time All Star BEFORE the 1972 season, his first full season in 1967 when he didn't make the All Star team he had an excellent 2.98 ERA and a 14-9 record while being the 14th toughest BA against in the league. I say let's let players put up All Star numbers before we anoint them as such.

Strasburg reminds me more of Gooden rather than Prior, but any comparisons to Carlton can be ruled out. Carlton was a three time All Star BEFORE the 1972 season, his first full season in 1967 when he didn't make the All Star team he had an excellent 2.98 ERA and a 14-9 record while being the 14th toughest BA against in the league. I say let's let players put up All Star numbers before we anoint them as such.

But see that was my entire point. people raved about this kid being the best ball player ever to hit the bigs. They were comparing him to the all time greats saying he will be better than them. So when he started they went nuts! Saying "see he will be the best ever" and so forth. but then in time he calmed down and everyone now is saying.. Well.... he will be good in time and so forth. then the excuses begane. "the mound was wet" "he was hot" and so forth....
I see a great pitcher with super potential.
All im saying is now we see that he is human after all.

But see that was my entire point. people raved about this kid being the best ball player ever to hit the bigs. They were comparing him to the all time greats saying he will be better than them. So when he started they went nuts! Saying "see he will be the best ever" and so forth. but then in time he calmed down and everyone now is saying.. Well.... he will be good in time and so forth. then the excuses begane. "the mound was wet" "he was hot" and so forth....
I see a great pitcher with super potential.
All im saying is now we see that he is human after all.

I'm with you, the hype was similar to Valenzuela and Gooden when they started as 1972 Carlton was a known quantity, neither figures to be a HOFer. I probably was expressing my own frustration in what I was hearing with people considering him for a All Star roster spot after his first 3-4 games, let alone his current six.

I'm with you, the hype was similar to Valenzuela and Gooden when they started as 1972 Carlton was a known quantity, neither figures to be a HOFer. I probably was expressing my own frustration in what I was hearing with people considering him for a All Star roster spot after his first 3-4 games, let alone his current six.

im sure he wont be in the all-star game this year though it would of been nice to see how he would do. but I am sure he will in next year!

Strasburg is going to be the fastball version of Maddux...it's all about the movement and control the kid has...and boy does he have it.

At the same time, he is not going to get a lot of run support out of the Nats...so, while he may be a great pitcher now or later...until he gets a team that can score him at least 2 or 3 runs every time up, he's going to have a stat problem...and in baseball it's all about stats...no one will remember how many games you lost by 1 run, they will just look at how many you lost...other than maybe a 5th inning stat on the tv screen in a trivia question that some nerd dug up.

as far as prices go, my Blue Finest # 6 redemption sold on 4 day auction for $170...not going to complain because it's twice what i paid for the entire box, which makes it a heck of a hit I think...but, that's down sharp from prices a week ago.

Hype doesn't last forever...OJ's auto in 1995 was $300 today you are lucky to get $30...first of the year it was Heyward....then Harper....for now its Strasburg....you guys have been around long enough to know better...you've seen this before with others...Phil Nevin and the likes...the next big thing is always around the corner.