SV versus BV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tankp

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Okay here is a opinion getter in the making. Sale value or Book value?
So let's hear it people. I know this is a subject open and vast as the grand canyon. You trade with one or the other because?
and there off hahahaha
Thank you
Tankp

until we are talking big money I don't care how much something sells for, so bv unless we are talking a major difference. Not entirely sure how this is a autograph topic though lol

BV for BV. If I know I have something that is particularly hot I'll keep it rather than let it go for BV, by the same token if I know that the card I want is destined to move I'll offer more.

Using a specific guide, be it Beckett, Tuff Stuff, SCD or other, you can have a fixed standard.

With "sell value", how does one determine that? Find the 10 most recent ebay sales and average them? How about the last 5 sales? The previous 10?

Realistically, the only time SV seems to come up is when the cards are hot and potentially sell for MORE than BV. Otherwise I don't hear too many people say they won't trade a $15 card because they are both offering cards selling for $2-4. For example, the 1972 Topps Venezuelan Steve Garvey stamp books for around $40, depending on the guide. You'll never find one selling for or anywhere near that price. The two times I have seen one sell, they went for $555 and $250ish. Demand is great, supply is almost non-existent!

People could do it how ever they like that is a porblem for me. I say if you want to use sale value then sell the card. What is easy and fair is dollar for dollar. But that is my opinion of course.

But why isn't using sale value still "dollar for dollar"? Unless you're saying someone was trying to trade BV for SV, which would not make sense.

Your other qualification of "easy and fair" is one that I think mrmopar shot down. While I wouldn't object to the "easy" side of it, is there anything "fair" in assigning a BV of $40 to a card that sells for at least 5 times that amount? That seems like the "easy" way out.

To me, BV is good for trading as a gauge to see what's an equivalent card, if that makes sense. But if you expect someone to pay you the BV on a card, then your expectations are way too high.

So BV is good for trading, not for selling; SV is good for selling not for trading. That's as clear as I can make my view on it, lol.

how can it possibly matter what everyone else thinks? The only two opinions that matter would be the two who are involved in any given trade. If both side do not agree on card values its a no-go. Just move on.

Ask yourself this. Do you trade slow moving 96-05 inserts for the pennies on the dollar amounts (according to BV) that they often sell for on ebay? If the answer is no, why do expect a premium for a card that sells for over BV.

clinton

To me, BV is good for trading as a gauge to see what's an equivalent card, if that makes sense. But if you expect someone to pay you the BV on a card, then your expectations are way too high.

So BV is good for trading, not for selling; SV is good for selling not for trading. That's as clear as I can make my view on it, lol.
Perfectly clear to me,I agree 100 percent.
HockeyBrawler and clinton have said it all.
Ken

Last edited:
I would think that it really comes down to how bad you want it,..Then you can throw SV and BV out the door,..
I can't speak for everyone but I do have certain cards that I want that I will go beyond the lines,..I don't buy anything on-line but I've been going back and forth with a local seller that has 3 Mantles in his cases,..
The one bad thing about trading on-line is that there is a lack of intimacy between deals,..

My BV cents,..
Clint

Ditto....Can't mix the two.

I don't care what anybody else uses to place a value on a card. If I want your 55 bowman early wynn and offer a 68 topps mantle and you turn me down because your granddad, who died last year, used that card as a coaster for his after dinner whiskey............what do I care ? You placed a value on a card and that's that.