The Bench 2008 YSL set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Looks like I had a bunch of threads get deleted - none more important than the 2008 YSL set thread.

We are currently one card shy of completing this monster. Let's find this last card and kick off 2022 with a nice donation to The V Foundation to fight cancer!

The card we are searching for:
#5683 Joe Torre

Lots of new members on board, hopefully the new blood will help in the search.

Want to make sure this stays fresh for everyone -- we have one more card needed to wrap up this set.

#5683 Joe Torre

Check your monster boxes. Check your Yankees collections. Check everything you possibly can!! Let's wrap this one up and get it to auction.

Lot's of new members have come on board since we started this rejuvenated push to completion. Don't be afraid to be the HERO and finish this thing off!!!!

Four people claim to have it on here.

Sent trade offers to the two people in the US

Four people claim to have it on here.

Sent trade offers to the two people in the US

Whatever they want (within reason) we will pony up! I have a box of dupes in my possession that we can sweeten the pot with and will pay well above book value if they want to sell.

We appreciate your effort in trying to track this card down!

Whatever they want (within reason) we will pony up! I have a box of dupes in my possession that we can sweeten the pot with and will pay well above book value if they want to sell.

We appreciate your effort in trying to track this card down!
The Canadian trader on there was on recently if anyone wants to track them down as well... The two on there in the US were last on Jan 2, and sometime in 2020... So I have doubts about the 2020 trader.

The Canadian trader on there was on recently if anyone wants to track them down as well... The two on there in the US were last on Jan 2, and sometime in 2020... So I have doubts about the 2020 trader.

I am not on Beckett -- hopefully someone here at The Bench sees this, who is a member, and can reach out to final person who may have it.

New month - new reminder. 1 card. That is all that is needed to put this set to bed and get it on the auction block. Would be great if we could find it quickly and get the set in to the spring auction.

Do you have a list of YSL to trade? I found a thread on Facebook where someone needs some. I would like to know if we have anything before I contact him. Thanks. Maybe if you could put the list in the first post of this thread. And I don't know yet if he has the card.

Last edited:
Do you have a list of YSL to trade? I found a thread on Facebook where someone needs some. I would like to know if we have anything before I contact him. Thanks. Maybe if you could put the list in the first post of this thread. And I don't know yet if he has the card.

At one point, I had the list of dupes as a thread, but it looks like it has disappeared. I will work on getting that re-posted.

Damn, have not been around for a bit and struggled to find anything related. It seems this effort is still stalled out with one Joe Torre card standing in the way. That is just crazy...Will this elusive card ever show itself? Who will track it down?

Does anyone know if the prizes set aside for the top donors were ever awarded or is that still waiting on the set completion as well. One card won't sway the vote at this point, I assume.

If so, what were they?

Damn, have not been around for a bit and struggled to find anything related. It seems this effort is still stalled out with one Joe Torre card standing in the way. That is just crazy...Will this elusive card ever show itself? Who will track it down?

Does anyone know if the prizes set aside for the top donors were ever awarded or is that still waiting on the set completion as well. One card won't sway the vote at this point, I assume.

If so, what were they?

I believe the prizes were distributed - not sure what they were though.

We do need to find that last card -- the auction house is starting to press me about taking the cards back, because they have been there over a year.

I have reached out through FB to the Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation with the hope that maybe one of the folks following them or who donates to them, may have or know someone who has the card. It is a long shot at best, but turning over every potential stone at this point.

I hate to say it, although the argument before (which turned out to be false) was that the set was complete and just had some off condition cards, but maybe it's time to just sell it as is. Yes, a full set is ideal and a "set" with 1 card missing may take a value hit, but we can also look at the history behind this effort and see that an immense amount of time has passed and we are still short of the goal. Is perfection worth the wait, when it has taken so long? Would the eventual winner be more inclined to buy the set to have a complete set, buy it for a good cause or maybe even someone willing to tackle a break-up and sell effort in hopes of turning a profit? We don't know how a missing card may affect the overall hammer price, but something is still better than nothing.

It seems obvious to wait and finish the set, being 1 card away, but apparently that is one tricky card to find. There was a contest when this set first came out to see who could build the first 5 sets (if I recall correctly) and it was pretty good prize. Maybe that Torre is extremely short printed and nobody noticed? Wouldn't be the first time a promotor pulled some crap like that to make it harder to win.

Anyway, just one man's opinion, who'd like to live long enough to see this thing actually sell.