The Bench Baseball RC Draft 1.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I was in a hof rookie draft once. Talk about fun. This is before Griffey was even in the hall of fame. “Worst” card was a Winfield RC.
I would really like this one! However, all my HOF rookies are PC and graded, so I would be worried about putting up like a 1968 Johnny Bench SGC graded card, and everyone else puts up a 1981 Harold Baines….

I would love to see details on something like this though!

I've never done one of these, but when you say "send in cards you don’t want", that seems very subjective. So why wouldn't someone send in, for example, a printing plate of a rookie that never made it? I don't know how you get around it unless you have very specific requirements.
that's because it is (very subjective)...when we discussed this we agreed to becketts values and a 1 of 1 does not have a bv

I would probably be in on this. I think though that maybe we limit the years that can be used. I think that would make everything a bit better, but I would be down for something along these lines. I would need to see some very clear rules for this. What definition of RC are we using? You state one RC parallel as needing to be submitted, can you submit multiple or just one? Can someone not participate if they don’t have a parallel RC, but can give another $20 RC instead? What about Bowman 1st of someone who has already made it to the majors? What about Mark McGwire? Is 1985 his rookie? Or is it a USA card? Derek Jeter has rookies from 1993, 1994 and 1995…

This one can get pretty confusing if it was just rookies.
Like I mentioned all this can be tweaked things can be added or omitted --We can do RCs from each Decade 70s 80s 90s and so on 1 RC from each decade with a BV of $10-$25 with 2 cards being 1st Day with a BV of $10.00+ and 1 RC parallel with a BV of $10+ ...McGwire's RC is his 1985 Topps USA card --Jeter's RC is 1993 not 1994 or 1995--Beckett for one thing does have the RC right --Type in 1994 Topps Derek Jeter there is no RC logo or 1995--Inserts are not RCs --the debate is are parallels RC --I used to believe parallels weren't RCs although Beckett doesn't have the RC logo on the parallels but the majority and including myself now consider them RCs because of the value they hold ..just need to come up with a criteria that's fair and we screen the RCs that are going to come in if it doesn't meet the criteria we contact the member and tell them

Like I mentioned all this can be tweaked things can be added or omitted --We can do RCs from each Decade 70s 80s 90s and so on 1 RC from each decade with a BV of $10-$25 with 2 cards being 1st Day with a BV of $10.00+ and 1 RC parallel with a BV of $10+ ...McGwire's RC is his 1985 Topps USA card --Jeter's RC is 1993 not 1994 or 1995--Beckett for one thing does have the RC right --Type in 1994 Topps Derek Jeter there is no RC logo or 1995--Inserts are not RCs --the debate is are parallels RC --I used to believe parallels weren't RCs although Beckett doesn't have the RC logo on the parallels but the majority and including myself now consider them RCs because of the value they hold ..just need to come up with a criteria that's fair and we screen the RCs that are going to come in if it doesn't meet the criteria we contact the member and tell them
Fair point about Jeter, I was more thinking that the card companies in the 90s called his cards rookies until 1995.

I don’t have a Beckett, but I could have sworn the 1985 McGwire was an XRC and 1987 was his RC. Same with Bonds and 1986 and 1987, or Puckett and Clemens with 1984 and 1985.

If we do a RC one, I would actually like to keep it open to all years. I’m not a fan of requiring the different categories, I would like to have it just be 5 rookies with a BV of $15-50 and have to have a total value of $100-150. That would mean that at most a person could only submit 4 $15 cards, but the last would have to be at least $40.

My concern would be not everyone has a RC parallel they want to give up or maybe they don’t have one at all, so now because the draft became too specific, they can’t participate.

Fair point about Jeter, I was more thinking that the card companies in the 90s called his cards rookies until 1995.

I don’t have a Beckett, but I could have sworn the 1985 McGwire was an XRC and 1987 was his RC. Same with Bonds and 1986 and 1987, or Puckett and Clemens with 1984 and 1985.

If we do a RC one, I would actually like to keep it open to all years. I’m not a fan of requiring the different categories, I would like to have it just be 5 rookies with a BV of $15-50 and have to have a total value of $100-150. That would mean that at most a person could only submit 4 $15 cards, but the last would have to be at least $40.

My concern would be not everyone has a RC parallel they want to give up or maybe they don’t have one at all, so now because the draft became too specific, they can’t participate.
Nope 1985 Topps USA is McGwire's true RC Go on to Beckett and type in Mark McGwire RC and see what shows up--I have no problems with 5 RCs with a total BV $100-$150.-omitting the RC parallel and 3 cards have to be from a licensed product

Nope 1985 Topps USA is McGwire's true RC Go on to Beckett and type in Mark McGwire RC and see what shows up--I have no problems with 5 RCs with a total BV $100-$150.-omitting the RC parallel and 3 cards have to be from a licensed product
To me there’s a lot more debate about cards like McGwires RC, such as 1988 is his rookie cup card, which would make his 1987 his rookie. He is pictured in his USA uniform and is referred to as being on the 1984 USA national team, which is not associated with MLB at all. It is the same as the USA cards we have now, and those are not rookies. His MLB debut was in August of 1986, hence no MLB cards in 1986. So, to me his rookie is 1987, the first card after his MLB debut. Got it, Beckett says 1985 is his RC, but they are not the deciding factor for the entire hobby. I don’t know if this debate would ever be over, just like the current debate about whether the 2021 Bowman’s Best is Wanders actual RC, not the 2022 cards. There may never be a consensus on which cards it is.

Either way, if we can get this up and running, I would probably give it a go.

To me there’s a lot more debate about cards like McGwires RC, such as 1988 is his rookie cup card, which would make his 1987 his rookie. He is pictured in his USA uniform and is referred to as being on the 1984 USA national team, which is not associated with MLB at all. It is the same as the USA cards we have now, and those are not rookies. His MLB debut was in August of 1986, hence no MLB cards in 1986. So, to me his rookie is 1987, the first card after his MLB debut. Got it, Beckett says 1985 is his RC, but they are not the deciding factor for the entire hobby. I don’t know if this debate would ever be over, just like the current debate about whether the 2021 Bowman’s Best is Wanders actual RC, not the 2022 cards. There may never be a consensus on which cards it is.

Either way, if we can get this up and running, I would probably give it a go.
I will create a new thread so hopefully people will sign up

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online