The Bench Software Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The Bench will be temporarily offline today, starting at approximately 2:30pm EST while we perform some software upgrades and fix a few bugs that have been found since the last upgrade. This update is expected to last approximately 1 hour, or less.

Here are some of the things that will change after today's update.

New editor

This is probably the one thing that most of you will notice first. The editor (where you type your posts and messages) will look a little different. The basic functionality will remain the same but it will look a little cleaner.

editor.jpg

Horizontal attachment listing

For those of you who have started uploading images, as attachments, into your posts, you will also notice a little difference. Now, after you upload your images they will be displayed horizontally, rather than vertically. This is changed so you won't have to scroll up and down as you insert the images into your posts. This is especially useful if you're using a mobile device. You can see a sample of what it will look like in the previous picture.

Giphy integration

We're now also going to add Giphy integration into the editor. What this means is that you'll be able to search, and insert, an animated GIF image directly into your post from Giphy.

giphy.jpg

Suggested threads

When you're creating a new thread in certain forums on the site you'll now get a list of suggested forums that may be the same as the one you're trying to create. So, rather than starting a new thread you could just add to the one already on the site. This could help prevent having multiple threads on the same topic all going at once. Again, this will only be active in some forums. Nobody wants to see a list of suggested threads when they're making their own trade list.

suggestions.jpg

Similar threads

To go along with suggested threads, every thread on the site will also now include a list of similar threads at the bottom. The thinking here is that if you don't find what you're looking for in the first thread you read, you might see another similar thread that you'd like to continue reading on. This will be especially helpful for folks who find us using Google search and are looking for specific information that they don't find on the first link they click on.

similar-threads.jpg

Profile banners

After the update, members will be able to upload a profile banner, similar to a cover photo on Twitter and Facebook.

profile-banner.jpg

More...

Along with these additions there will also be a few other little changes to the site including:

• Fixing a few bugs in the Transaction manager and adding the Transaction ID into the Transaction info block
  • Changing the lightbox (the box that pops up when you click on an attachment or media item) to include more information about an image
  • Adding attachments uploaded into certain forums into the media gallery

Well, the update took a bit longer than I'd expected but it does appear as though everything updated successfully. If you notice any problems, that weren't there before the update, please let me know so I can try to get them fixed as soon as possible.

Today's quick little update focused, primarily, on the home page. We now have a "Recommended threads" block as well as added a "Transaction leaders" block.

Recommended threads will show a listing of threads that are the most popular threads created within the last X number of days. Right now X=10, but we'll see how it goes for a while and may adjust that later.

Transaction leaders will be updated sometime shortly after the 1st of the month, and will show the top 10 members in transactions completed..

In addition to that, I also fixed a few more bugs that were found with the Transaction manager since the last update.

Last edited:
Mike - The site is looking great! I appreciate all the time and work you're putting into it!

The banner option is going to be very popular!

Thanks
Craig

Why is the Transaction thread for Oct 2020.....showed me in the middle of the pack....and slowly I dropped off the listing? Strange to see me drop off the edge of the world into a wall of darkness. Best regards, David

Why is the Transaction thread for Oct 2020.....showed me in the middle of the pack....and slowly I dropped off the listing? Strange to see me drop off the edge of the world into a wall of darkness. Best regards, David

I'll throw you a rope! 😆

On a serious note, though, that widget counts all trades that have been completed since 00:00:00 on October 1, eastern time. It's updated once per hour and only shows 10 members. If there are members who are tied, it lists the members in order by who registered first.