The holy Grail....cou'de gra if you will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

There are many things interesting about this item but for me it's the story of who got it signed, when and where.

Was it a little kid who carried that thing in his pocket for weeks never having a chance to know what he really had?

How many were signed that day that ended up in the wash because Mom forgot to empty pockets?

Who owned it along the way, etc.?

Was it sold at some point in recent years just to put groceries on the table or make a house payment?

That is an amazing piece of (unknown) history!
I was wondering the same thing - mostly whose wallet did it spend many years in? Bob Costas has said he has always kept a Mickey Mantle card in his wallet.

Very nice pickup. I'm sure these are very tough to come by. Congrats!

Anthony

Unbelievable... that is an amazing pickup. I'm even happy for you!! Congratulations :)

Thanks to everyone for the congrats! I am still stoked about this pick up. The card itself is in pretty bad condition but it is also one I did not have so it is kind of a "two-for" addition.

I was watching the auction the whole way- Im glad that you won it

Absolutely amazing card, congrats

So you did end up the winner. I wondered. I was watching it. Nice pick up!

Tugboat and mrmopar - I did win but it was a second chance offer of sorts. I could not afford the $4800 it sold for but luckily neither could the bidder or the second place bidder ;) The seller contacted me last weekend and said it was available after he cleared the previous listed sell bid retraction/non-paying buyer and did a BIN with my highest bid.

And, I have to ask, was your hyperforeignism intentional? :)
Not really:p I was floating and it was the first thing that came to mind.

There are many things interesting about this item but for me it's the story of who got it signed, when and where.

Was it a little kid who carried that thing in his pocket for weeks never having a chance to know what he really had?

How many were signed that day that ended up in the wash because Mom forgot to empty pockets?

Who owned it along the way, etc.?

Was it sold at some point in recent years just to put groceries on the table or make a house payment?

That is an amazing piece of (unknown) history!

I wandered the same things. With it being an actual card from his playing days it was probably a kid who got it signed at a game so it would have been signed somewhere in the eastern part of the country - just an assumption. The guy I got it from said that his grandfather got it in the 70s but he did not know where or how. The card was just graded in March to confirm its authenticity before selling off the collection. This tells me it had at least three owners before me.

Take care,
Dewayne

Thats about three pay checks for me!

Ya, but isn’t that the wonderful thing about this hobby, you can own a masterpiece or a part of history for a fraction of the price of say, well …..Let’s say a Van Gogh ($40 million for those Irises). Saw them at the Getty (a So Cal museum), I liked your Lou Gehrig auto better.

Paul

Ya, but isn’t that the wonderful thing about this hobby, you can own a masterpiece or a part of history for a fraction of the price of say, well …..Let’s say a Van Gogh ($40 million for those Irises). Saw them at the Getty (a So Cal museum), I liked your Lou Gehrig auto better.

Paul

Thanks:cool: I know what you mean about the owning history piece. A Van Gogh would be nice to have but I would rather have something I enjoy and has meaning to me. I am sure there are other original cards signed out there somewhere but I have never seen one, only the cut sigs, 3x5 cards and shellacked baseballs.

Did you mean Coup de Grâce - a death blow?

Does this mean this is the end of your collecting? If so nice way to go out!

More of a Pièce de Résistance - a highlight or showcase of a collection - don't you think?