The National - Chicago

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twinscollector

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I have been collecting for 30 years and finally going to my first National. Looking to pick up 1953 topps PSA 5's for my set. Also love to look through bargain boxes. Not a wax opener.

What can I expect?

Fun time! To much to see in just one day! Take a backpack, drinks* (water bottle), sack treats, be sure to take time off for lunch and going over the stuff you picked up. Should also have a current beckett with you and note book with a few pens. In the note book, you could have a list of stuff your looking for and price your willing to pay. Once you purchase it, please sure to cross it off your wantlist. Cash is king and I normally wear a money belt. Your going to spend a lot of time standing and walking so be sure your shoes or tennis shoes are comfortable. Best regards, David PS *avoid soda cans or bottles as you don't want to have an accident.

Last edited:
Great advice from David.

One additional thing, get a map of the place. In Baltimore, I saw some things that when I decided to pull the trigger, it took me a while to find that particular dealer again. A map of the floor would have helped greatly. These are just so big and there are so many things to look at, people to see and activities, you could literally get lost.

Have a great time.

If you know of dealers who specialize in the items you desire, you can locate those dealers on the map available at nsccshow.com and click the floor plan and list of participating dealers. Plan to arrive about 10:15-10:30, that way the line of those waiting since 9:00 for the 10:00 opening will be down to nearly nothing. Bring snacks and water. Prices at the concession stands are outrageous, as is admission ($20). Unless there is somebody signing that you really need, avoid the autograph area as it's usually swamped with people. Better chance of making a deal late Saturday or Sunday rather than earlier in the week as dealers are looking at turning profit and unloading merchandise. If you see people trying to sell their stuff, don't be afraid to approach them. You'll probably pay them more than a dealer, while still getting stuff at a great price.

All great advice, especially about the map. I've been to 4 of these, and there's always something I want to get at the end but can't remember where I saw it. You won't have any problem finding '53's, but they probably won't be cheap.

I will be there Thursday thru Sat.

This will be at least my third. Possibly fourth, the first may have be in the 80's and I just do not remember anymore.

Shawn

I have been luck enough to go to 3 of them 2 most recent in the last 5 years. Great time! I wish I could go again this year. But gotta build a house for the wife LOL!

I'll be attending Thursday and a 1/2 day Friday. Flying in from Baltimore. Wanted to stay longer, but after a day most of my money is already spent.

The only one I went to was in the 80's and I was overwhelmed by it all. I drove from Detroit area to the show in Chicago so being tired didn't help. Still at least I made it to one.

I'm going on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Been to every show in Chicago, Cleveland and Baltimore in the past 15 years. The shows are awesome but you'll be exhausted by the end of the day. If anyone needs any information about the Chicago show let me know I should be able to answer most questions.

Counting down the days...

Melissa

Printed my tickets yesterday. Won't be there until Saturday ... hopefully there will be a few cards left!

National #4 for me. 3rd in Chicago

Great tips on the map.

Scott

Last edited: