The State of The Hobby

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
It seems like the high prices started years ago when the companies began to issue a small amount of cards for a lot of money. Like Topps Museum where you get 20 cards for $380.00. Some of these high end products have a single cards for well over $100.00. But with other releases like Topps Allen & Ginter where you still get 24 packs of 8 cards, their upcoming release is currently around $130.00. I'm thinking that they were less that $100 just before the virus. With the halt of new releases because of the virus shutdown, the companies must be trying to make up for lost revenue.

Steelers8873

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Seriously do the math. Go online and find a random hobby box and take the price and divide that by the number of cards in the box and some of these cards are going to be base cards with the exception of a few brands. You will be shocked to notice your paying $3,4,5 even more in some cases for base cards..thanks but no thanks just for the hit or 2 in the box that generally isn't a "hit" at all 3/4 of the time.

dbacknate

Rookie
4.90 star(s)
I’ll chime in here.
As a 17 year old in the middle class, collecting is hard. For me to have to spend the kind of money for new product to be able to trade is crazy. So I am limited to a hanger or two a month if that (and that’s if I can find them). You also have people (not really on The Bench but on FB and eBay) that ridicule you if you’re not willing to buy their ridiculously marked up boxes or cards. So, the state of the hobby is that there is (in general) no more love of the game and players like it used to be. It’s basically a lottery where you buy a ton of boxes and then hope you get some hot numbered prospect that you sell and don’t even care about. This is not conducive for my generation and will not encourage kids to collect and love baseball cards and the sport. My two cents.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Seriously do the math. Go online and find a random hobby box and take the price and divide that by the number of cards in the box and some of these cards are going to be base cards with the exception of a few brands. You will be shocked to notice your paying $3,4,5 even more in some cases for base cards..thanks but no thanks just for the hit or 2 in the box that generally isn't a "hit" at all 3/4 of the time.
I learned this after the 1990s insert craze. I was pretty much done by 99 or 2000. Back then, I was maybe spending $60-80 on a box, which typically still had 24-36 packs. I am guessing a bit, because even then I was buying fewer boxes than say 1994-95.

I would chase the stars and inserts, usually feeling a little cheated when I looked through my $60 pile of cards, maybe 500 or less. I might have hit a John Olerud 1:36 and a few better players in those 1:18 or 1:12 odds inserts. In the end, it was clearly more economical to buy what you wanted. You got fewer cards, but you got exactly what you wanted.

Opening packs for many is an addiction. Even if you are not reselling, it is gambling at it's best. Some will laugh or pass it off, because it's not a drug or other chemical usually associated with addiction, but people are hooked and can't stop. I still feel like I am addicted to buying cards, just now it is singles. I try to set a reasonable range of spending, but sometimes something I MUST HAVE pops up and I will go all out for it, regardless of the cost. I find myself with dozens of daily searches and when my mailbox does not reward me, I tend to search off of my normal saved searches. I could collect forever and never grow tired of it, because it provides a rush I need.

bblair_2002

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Went to a card show in Albany today and although I feel the hobby is strong,there were a couple things that left a bad taste in my mouth so here goes............

Retail product. 75% of the show dealers that sold any kind of unopened product came in the form of blaster boxes,mega boxes,hanger boxes and fat packs. I do know shop owners can order retail direct but according with one owner I know and chat with a lot,since the pandemic his orders for retail have been cut drastically to even none at all on some product. Since most of what I saw was post-COVID product I have to assume that these "dealers" didn't save any for the kids and raided every Target/Walmart/Walgreens,etc. for the stuff they were peddling at this show. What's worse is,another shop owner friend of mine who set up today told me there were tons of people trying to sell their retail product to the dealers.

Bo-ringgggg. Seems like every table I went to,I saw the same cards at everyone's tables. Acuna-this,Tatis-that,Ohtani-who gives a s***? I wanna go to a show and see stuff I don't see every day. I almost bought a sealed box of 1994 Bowman's Best for $80 for the nostalgia-factor and it actually seems like a bargain compared to what today's stuff goes for. I could not find a single table that carried singles of 2020 Stadium Club Chrome..........not a one! Luckily I almost finished the set on Sportlots tonight with only #104 Juan Soto to go :)