The world according to beckett.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Not sure if these BVs are exactly right, but I like an example from my Jack Cust collection.

1998 Stadium Club "One of A Kind" (/150)-- BV $40
2009 Upper Deck Gold (/99)-- BV $12

???

That is easier to understand a bit. As much as it SEEMS wrong, Think about this: If you pulled a card /150 back in 1998, it was a pretty decent pull. If you open a box today and DON'T pull a low # card, it's the exception rather than the rule. You can open 5 or 6 boxes of 1992 Donruss and not pull a single Elite /10,000 insert, or buy a box of 2010 Bowman draft and get multiple cards /250 or less

Not sure if these BVs are exactly right, but I like an example from my Jack Cust collection.

1998 Stadium Club "One of A Kind" (/150)-- BV $40
2009 Upper Deck Gold (/99)-- BV $12

???

Well first of all the 1998 Stadium Club card is a RC parallel so that accounts for a lot of the variation there, it's not like commons from that set book for $40.

And actually it's funny you mention the recent Upper Deck Gold parallels, because I think Becket OVERvalues those. Commons usually book for $10-12, which is way more than similarly numbered cards from those years. I've never noticed some giant insatiable demand for UD Gold parallels. Plus it seems like Beckett will price some commons at $12 and some at $4 within the same set. His Topps Black card from that year only books for $3 more than the UD Gold card, and Topps Black cards are waaaaaaaaaay more popular.

More evidence that Beckett screwed up the prices of recent UD Gold cards:

2000 Upper Deck Exclusives Silver #1 Rick Ankiel SR SN 100 $1.25 $3.00 (which is even dumber, dirt commons like Ken Hill are $6 in that set)
2009 Upper Deck Gold #347 Rick Ankiel 99 $20.00

They seriously need an employee to go through and take a look at stuff like that.
Richard

I am thinking of making a breakfast food trading card set, just so I can have a Bacon-Egg-and Cheese XRC...I'm a big fan...well, that and toast. I will send Beckett a hot box for review.

This was done by design by Dr. Beckett. There is a niche of collectors who use these crazy BVs to their benefit. For example, they can buy a card off ebay for $2, but it books for $20. They trade their $20 BV for another $20 BV card, but the card they get sells for $60 on ebay.

So whenever you see somebody that only trades BV for BV, now you know... they are trying to take advantage of you.

That's not entirely true. I trade BV for BV because it's the easiest standard between most collectors. In fact, almost all cards I have sold on ebay have gone way under the trade value I had -- most notably the 2010 Topps SP's. I traded for them because people have them for trade and not what I specifically need in trade. Then I sell them at whatever price -- One I traded 30.00 and sold for 7.00. Another I traded at 12.00 and sold at 1.99. Heck, I even sold a 2008 series one complete set for 5.00 and traded another for 8.00 BV.

There are however a lot of those who do exactly what you say. I've even seen someone at a local card shop (Baltimore) talk someone into a bad trade for an A-Rod GU at 10.00 (It was valued at either 20 of 25 on Beckett) and then sold it for nearly 40.

Beckett has a very flawed pricing system, especially on the singles versus set cost. Someone once tried to trade me a 1982 Topps Traded Set (without the Ripken) for a little over 100 dollars because the singles according to Beckett was something like 105.

So what would be a better way to communicate a "fair deal" between all types of traders?

Off to watch this hopeful sweep of the BoSox tonight! Take it easy!

-Justin

Dilferules touched on it, but when Beckett doesn't do their homework and lists prices for cards that don't exist, that drives me crazy. They still list prices for every card in the 2007 Allen & Ginter set as both a black mini and a black mini no number even though there is either a black mini OR a black mini no number of any given card, not both. Plus they put a premium on the black mini no number as if they are more rare, which they're not.
The 2008 Stadium Club 1st Day Production is the same way - each card is either an un-numbered retail OR a numbered hobby, but not both. I've tried to point these out to them but they didn't respond or seemingly care.