There should be a thread for this, so here it is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajax44

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
AAARRGGGGHHHHH!

You ever want something on ebay so bad, and then you bid about 125% of what you think you should bid for it, and get to the last 4 seconds, and then get outbid? Even if you time it perfectly, and bid a ridiculous amount with like 9 seconds left, you either are too late, or you still get outbid.

I know about auction sniping and stuff, but it's been 4 times in the last 6 weeks that I've bid over $100 on something and lost in the final 5 seconds.

The latest was a lot of 13 UD Century Legends Hockey Epic Sigs, including Bourque, which is one of the better autos of the set. I needed 9 of the 13, so I figured I could get it for $175, and sell the four I didn't need to recoup some of the jack.

Didn't win.

Similar stories of exasperation and frustration?

Nothing with that high of a dollar amount. However when I lose an item by a quarter I can't help but wonder, what if, I would bid just a little bit higher!

Frank

Last week I put a bid on a 2001 Donruss Signature Pujols AU RC. I bid $512 with about a minute left and had the high bid up until the last few seconds and lost by $12. Boy was I pissed!

I have the reverse situation....I'm now winning auctions..I use lose! I won a 1998 Finest The man refractor of Cal Ripken Jr serial #75 for about $70 Plus..in the past I losted in three auctions for this card: $175.00, $165.00 and $155.00... I'm loving it! Got the major card in this 20 card set...I have 14 of the 20! Best regards, David

sinpes...live by them, die by them....i hate to lose a Bradshaw item i want like that so i feel your pain...best you can do is get your own sniper program and bid the most you are willing to pay...if someone pays more what can you do? you get out sniped.

sinpes...live by them, die by them....i hate to lose a Bradshaw item i want like that so i feel your pain...best you can do is get your own sniper program and bid the most you are willing to pay...if someone pays more what can you do? you get out sniped.

Completely agree! Just snipe the snipers. If you have the most you are willing to pay for a card in a snipe and you still lose, then you weren't meant to have that card anyway. I just sniped a Willie Mays card PSA DNA Auto tonight for $66 that I am pretty happy with.

There is no need for a snipe program if you bid what your top dollar amount is to begin with.

It's a tough mental game. If something that normally not often available comes up, and it is worth $150, and you've seen it go for $80-85 in the past, you think, "$90 should be good enough. $95 maybe, but nothing over $100 for sure."

Then, there is 4 minutes left in the auction, you want it bad, but you are going to have to go $20 over what it averages, and you start asking yourself those questions: "Am I doing the right thing? Is this fiscally responsible? Should I wait for the next one to roll through?"

With fifteen seconds left you decide to go for it and throw down the $110 bid, thinking it will be enough to be $25-30 bucks higher than the previous ones you have seen. Ten, nine, eight, seven............ six........... five......... four........bid goes closer to your max.......... three........ two....... one..........................

The screen changes, and you've lost by $2.00. All that thought and stress, and it didn't matter. You probably should thank the overbidder for saving you from overpaying, but damn, you really wanted it.

I have the reverse situation....I'm now winning auctions..I use lose! I won a 1998 Finest The man refractor of Cal Ripken Jr serial #75 for about $70 Plus..in the past I losted in three auctions for this card: $175.00, $165.00 and $155.00... I'm loving it! Got the major card in this 20 card set...I have 14 of the 20! Best regards, David

David, yea, those go for insane $, check out this one, and I think the current
BV is only $60.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230505348199&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT