This is appallng as a Player Collector. Fake signature on eBay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJCloutier

Pro
5.00 star(s)
UPDATE: Seller said he would take it down and contact Upper Deck about it. Said he didn't know of the forgery.

To make a side note I never flat out accused this seller of doing it himself. I don't jump to conclusions especially of people with high feedback which makes it obvious he's just selling mass amounts of cards and quickly scanning/uploading pictures so it could be a common mistake.

I reported it earlier. This signature isn't even close to Sheffields. I own 400+ autos of him and have never seen something such as this. I know for a fact that either this owner or a previous went over the faded signature with sharpie and did a TERRIBLE job at that.

I own 3 of these of the /20 and have been pretty proud of owning the 3 since this is Sheffields highest booking card as far as I'm concerned. ALL MY AUTOS HAVE ALMOST FADED COMPLETELY. You can notice on this card in the auction the black where this auto was and how he tried covering it up. I would NEVER pay for something as atrocious looking as this even if I know the auto was on it at one point, it was destroyed by another individual.

Please help me by reporting this as well! thanks.

Pictures of the 3 I own. Notice how bad the autographs are. They have seen NO sunlight and have been in case and box since 2004. All have faded. You can see this is the SAME fade as the auction up for sale.

Auction of fake Sheffield autograph

Auction of authentic Sheffield autograph I won the other day

slgxtc.jpg
2bef5e.jpg
oghoq8.jpg

Last edited:
That does look bad, at least compared to the authentic one!

I don't know anything about Gary Sheffield autos, or the product even but 1 thing I noticed immediately before looking at the authentic signature was the numbering of the card "04/20". It just seems off.

That also seems like a bad idea for an auto. Of the auctions that I've seen from this product a lot of the autos are faded and barely readable.

Updated topic with pics of mine own so you can see the difference. Not even close! The product was pretty terrible, bad idea. At least they don't fade like that on the baseballs

mike~ deff. looks a lot darker than my Sheffs however I'd still be discouraged just as you are that it's no in nearly adequate condition for a collector. Whoevers attempt at fixing the signature literally is so disgusting but laughable at the same time. I'm called my buddies over to see show them how blatantly obvious he faked it is and they hate sports cards.

thedarkbrown~ No I guarantee that's what happened that's why it's so disgusting. You can see the faded signature in the back still plain as day!

That was so bad it was laughable. My Mike Marshall is suffering the same fate!!

I still hate UD for this, but not as much as the redemption shafting by Fleer!

If I had a dollar for every fake Pujols autographed card I've seen I'd be a very wealthy man. It's a shame that buyers don't do the sufficient research to know a real autograph from a fake one and it does look like that autograph was traced over.