This is pretty cool,..from Antiques Roadshow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'd never heard of the last two cards from redcross before.. That's an amazing estimate if they would sell that high..

I'd never heard of the last two cards from redcross before.. That's an amazing estimate if they would sell that high..

The appraiser seemed to be dead on with the first two estimates,..so I'm thinking the last one was dead on too,..

Could you imagine having 80 of them !!

The appraiser seemed to be dead on with the first two estimates,..so I'm thinking the last one was dead on too,..

I have no knowledge about those cards but was thinking that if the last card truly is the only known copy then it could sell for much much more than the appraised value. A true one of a kind from that era ?!?! Some of the people that collect those cards have very deep pockets.

Indeed....thanks for sharing.....loved it....

I've never heard of the T-207 set let alone the last two guys lol :D

Here is another article about "George" and his find of these cards. He once had them on display and nobody really inquired about them. How many people would now kick themselves, as he would have probably sold them cheap then. Nice follow-up read after watching the video - http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/ultra-rare-t207-red-cross-back-find/

This link shows you a great picture of the front and backs of all the cards (pretty much on every page except for page 2), including all the red cross cards - http://vbbc.forumotion.com/t3312-t207-red-cross-this-is-a-must-see-for-everyone

Man, what a find. And I was pretty much correct about them making it to auction, as there are currently 3 days left in the auction of most of these super rare cards. They are listed as the Louisiana Collection, so if you want to watch what they sell for, go here - http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/default.aspx?catid=107

Last edited:
Tony,
Thanks for sharing those links, can't wait to see what the final auction amounts will be...my wife had called me up from the basement to see the segment on those cards the other night, what a find, every collectors dream!

Scott

What would you do?

Great thread!! Thanks so much for posting this. I missed the segment.
TGLG. thanks for your "detective work." Interesting article. Will be fun to see what they wind up selling for. Who needs Social Security?
One thing I found a little interesting is that, betweeen the time of the PBS show and the auction, the cards were graded by SGC. Question: if they were your cards (oh, how we wish) where would you have sent them to be graded, or would ypu have sent them at all?

Thanks again for this wonderful thread.

Frank

The way it looks, the Roadshow episode was taped sometime mid 2010. And then after learning what he did, he researched the stuff a bit, and started making posts on a different trading site (sure wish he would have made his way here to The Bench). And there he got advice on auction houses, and as one of the posters there stated, if I remember correctly, he probably got with the auction house he has them with, and got no fees, but they probably steered him on who to use for grading and took care of most of the process for him.

It is interesting to follow, and to read the thread. Also, I guess some things are the same anywhere you go, as there seem to be a troll or two there as well, LOL. But just to see the cards scans front and back and to see what all was kinda happening up until this point gives one a sense of the thrill of finding the stuff.

I would love to buy one of them, or even one of the lots of the multi-count, lesser condition cards. I think the Mello-Mint cards are cool as well. I actually never knew the cards existed, and now, might have to try to get one just to add to my collection of older stuff.

*scratching my head here*

They have an auction for 24 cards which includes two cards unknown until this find. Why would you include never before known cards in a lot ?

Question: if they were your cards (oh, how we wish) where would you have sent them to be graded, or would ypu have sent them at all?

Thanks again for this wonderful thread.

Frank

I think getting them graded was the correct thing to do because it "guarantees" their authenticity. I probably would have made arrangements with either psa or bgs though.

*scratching my head here*

They have an auction for 24 cards which includes two cards unknown until this find. Why would you include never before known cards in a lot ?

That is a head scratcher...
Why not illuminate them as singles to get more demand from people who make take the time to look at lots, or are not willing to take on extras they may already have..

I think getting them graded was the correct thing to do because it "guarantees" their authenticity. I probably would have made arrangements with either psa or bgs though.

I agree that I would definitely have sent them. I collect tobacco cards on a very limited basis, and will very rarely buy them raw online when I can't see them up close. I think it adds a bit of security on for the buyer, even if they plan on cracking the slabs later.

As for who, I actually prefer SGC, but mintman has a point on PSA. A lot of collectors are all about the registry and want to be able to show the cards in there. But SGC is pretty highly respected in pre-war collecting circles, in many cases more so than SGC. BGS is probably the least sought after for pre-war.

SGC slabs make the white borders pop though.

That appraiser was pretty darn good. The Lowdermilk sold right smack in the middle of his range. That's pretty sharp for a possibly one of a kind card.

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online

No members online now.