This weeks sign of the apocalypse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirbyfan34

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
I heard about this at the LCS a few days ago.........not that there are any Target stores within 40 miles of here. The owner was thinking Walmart was going to follow suit. These stores are not making much money on these cards for all the trouble it causes them so this was to be expected.

Our Walmart only lets you buy 1 item. A box is an item as is a pack. A few weeks ago the LCS owner called me and asked me to come down to WalMart to buy a box of Select Football for him. I said "sure" and he was waiting for me in the parking lot, gave me the money, told me where to find the cards (Aisle 3) and I proceeded to get him the box. While standing there, I saw that this "box" only had 24 cards in it! HUH? To top it off I was wondering how a new NFL prodeuct hit the shelves 3 days before the draft. Come to find out those were a 2020 football issue that did not hit the shlves until April of 2021!?!?!?! Unreal.

I guess I was more than a little shocked at the number of cards in the box, the lateness of it's release and the huge demand for them. But that is what happens when you have not bought retail cards since 1992!!!

I think I'll stick with my vintage as it is a lot safer since I have not heard of any fights over that type of card. If that ever occurs, I'll insist the fight is a Dudleyville Street Fight where the ony rule is there are no rules. LOL I just had to throw out an ECW reference for old times sake.

Have vintage prices been hit with the recent rise too?
Yes ad No. Football, by far the most popular sport in America, seems to be flat where many vintage baseball cards and sets have doubled in the past year. Now for the real shocker............apparently there is an astronomic price rise in some vintage basketball in this month's Beckett. A friend of mine at the LCS has the new Basketball Beckett's monthly downloaded on his phone and some of the vintage price rises he read to me are just jaw dropping. Stay tuned for when that guide comes out in the next few days as the values he read to me are beyond belief.

I would be very interested to know what's going on with the '57 Topps bk set. Keep us posted.

I've all but given up on buying retail at Walmart and the nearest Target is nearly 30 miles away and I've never been that desperate to open packs so it's no big loss.

One of the LCSs I go to usually buys retail but this year companies have cut his orders drastically and in some cases won't let him order any at all.

The wholesalers have 2 options sell to retailers or sell online and make a killing. So now they are forcing retailers to buy a bunch of there junk to earn the right to buy the good stuff. The the local card shop then has 2 options sell to his customers at 1 price or sell online and make a killing. The prices of some of this product that was selling for 100 a box 3 years ago is crazy, one of the biggest ones is Prizm football and basketball. When my LCS does get product he is now having lotteries and they have to bust in the store. The only way this stops is when people stop paying the outrageous prices.

I would be very interested to know what's going on with the '57 Topps bk set. Keep us posted.

I will certainly let you know when I see the guy with the Basketball Beckett's on his phone or the Basketball Beckett's arrives at the LCS.

Here are a few things he read to me off his phone the other day. The Alcindor RC is now 8 grand. The Phil Jackson RC is $300. THe Chamberlain RC is $5,000 and the first card where Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's name was used was way up there in value althoughI cannot remember the dollar figure. There is a miniscule chance that he miread these or I misheard them so don't take these bvs as Gospel. But a month ago the same guy tipped me off that the 1981-82 Topps 2nd year Bird and Magic cards had risen from $12 to $200 or $250........which seemed equally as crazy. Once I see the values for myself, I'll certainly update you on the 1957-8 Fleer values.

Wow!
I have a '70 second year Alcindor. Bet that's gone up a bit too.

Cool. Mine's a nm I picked up at auction 20 yrs ago for 40 bucks. One of my favorite cards.

The Alcindor RC is now 8 grand. The Phil Jackson RC is $300. THe Chamberlain RC is $5,000 and the first card where Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's name was used was way up there in value althoughI cannot remember the dollar figure.
Correct on the Alcindor. Phil Jackson is actually $250. Chamberlain's "In Action" rookie is $5k. The regular base, #8, is $20k. Not sure on the Abdul-Jabbar. If you can tell me which card (year) it is, I can find out.

PM sent. 😉

1981-82 Topps 2nd year Bird and Magic cards had risen from $12 to $200 or $250
Yep, $250!

Last edited:
Correct on the Alcindor. Phil Jackson is actually $250. Chamberlain's "In Action" rookie is $5k. The regular base, #8, is $20k. Not sure on the Abdul-Jabbar. If you can tell me which card (year) it is, I can find out.

Yep, $250!
Hey Mike, thanks for the pricing updates. It looks like I understated things. And I thought I may have overstated them!!

I know my old basketball cards pretty well but I would not have guessed the 1st Abdul-Jabbar card. Turns out it is his 1972-73 Topps #100. Apparently that one shot up too although I have no idea what the guy told me the new BV is.

That one is now $250, although I have no idea what it was before.
That is cetainly a jump in price! Here is some historical values of these cards to put things in perspective.

January 2015 Basketball Becketts

Alcindor RC $250
2nd year Alcindor $50
Chamberlain RC $800
Chamberlain IA RC $300
Phil Jackson RC $40
72-73 Abdul-Jabbar $30

I used this 2015 guide for 5 years until thing went crazy last Spring/Summer. Prices never changed to any significan degree so I used this guide for all that time

March 2021 Beckett's Basketball

Alcindor RC $1500
2nd year Alcindor $400 (although I know for a fact it was $150 shortly before this guide)
Chamberlain RC $1200
Chamberlain IA RC $300 (no change in the previous 6 years at this point)
Phil Jackson RC $150
72-73 Abdul-Jabbar $50

And talking about never changing the 1981-82 Bird and Mgic cards were $12 each in both guides and now are $250.

I'm not sure these insane price rises are good for the hobby though. These skyrocketing values smack of price manipulation by a select few powers in the hobby and to me are Monopoly money in most cases. This makes me think this is a sign of a sportscard Apocaylpse.....to keep in the spirit of this topic.

Last edited:

To borrow a page from Sports Illustrated, thanks to some idiots in Wisconsin. Thanks guys!
As a collector, it’s annoying. As someone that used to work retail, I understand completely.

As a collector, it’s annoying. As someone that used to work retail, I understand completely.
Agree. Part of the fun of making a Target run was grabbing a pack or two. And yes as a former Kmart and Walmart employee yes understandable. Especially at Kmart when Sporting goods would take care of the cards the worst thing I had to deal with was telling someone who was trying to return a box of 1994 collectors choice baseball that looked like it was opened and re wrapped...oh how times have changed!

Agree. Part of the fun of making a Target run was grabbing a pack or two. And yes as a former Kmart and Walmart employee yes understandable. Especially at Kmart when Sporting goods would take care of the cards the worst thing I had to deal with was telling someone who was trying to return a box of 1994 collectors choice baseball that looked like it was opened and re wrapped...oh how times have changed!

I miss the good 'ol days at Kmart ... back in 2008 they seemed to have an endless supply of UD Heroes blasters marked down 40% off. I spent way too much on that product.