Time to sell? - 2009 Ultimate Baseball Sealed Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaddie84

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I bought a case of this stuff last weekend for a little over $1200 DLVD....I normally don't buy full cases of higher-end product...but I saw the opportunity with the whole law-suit thing and jumped in at the right time. Plus, I loved the product.

If you go to eBay, sellers like Blowout are now asking for between $1700 and $1800 DLVD per case. Do you still see these going up more? I'm halfways tempted to sell at a profit and use it to buy some Sterling rather than bust the stuff.

Also, if I were to sell an item on eBay around that price tag, is it a flat-rate final value fee or does it scale back after a certain number?

If I were you, I'd wait futher.. it's drying up quickly making boxes 33% more then last weekend..
If you have the time, wait like til June.. someone will spend $2k on it... I honestly see that happening.

I wonder if MLB suit against UD has anything to do with the product drying up....Not my statement...Hobby Shop Owner.....Best regards, David

If I were you, I'd wait futher.. it's drying up quickly making boxes 33% more then last weekend..
If you have the time, wait like til June.. someone will spend $2k on it... I honestly see that happening.

I'd be amazed if it did get that high, but you're right that if the trend continues...it wouldn't take long to get there. My only concern for the long-term is if product value goes south ala Pacific, not to mention it is SO DIFFICULT having sealed product and not opening it! I could never be a hobby shop owner as I would open all my product!

I wonder if MLB suit against UD has anything to do with the product drying up....Not my statement...Hobby Shop Owner.....Best regards, David

I absolutely think this is the case. The supply chain has ended. An employee at my local shop said 3 of their 4 main suppliers stopped selling it entirely. Tack that on with the fact that the product is selling quickly and I see how it would dry up in a hurry.

Well, my distributor opened up and sold it yesterday. So you are going to see more of it actually hitting the market place, so I personally see the prices leveling off. I just don't see it holding high for the long term, as it will be a matter of the buyers dollars off to the next hot thing. Nothing seems to stay hot and in demand forever. Always something new coming out and surplanting it.

If it were me, I would sell and buy something else. I believe the lawsuit hype drove it, as my distributor received a fax from MLB to freeze selling. They held it for about a week, but was now given the ok to sell again. Marketing ploy? Take advantage of the hype, get yours, and move on.

This product is smoking HOT. It's been a few years since there has been a product to break with this much value. I think it will be a $2,000 case in a short time. It's already $110/bx wholesale on DealerNet

I have 3 cases to sell.

Also, if I were to sell an item on eBay around that price tag, is it a flat-rate final value fee or does it scale back after a certain number?

Right now the rate goes down the higher the price but if they go ahead with their insane rate increase on April 1st it will be a flat rate.
Currently a $1,700 sale would cost you $46.81 in final value fee.

Current rate - 8.75% up to $25, 3.5% from $25.01 to $1000 then 1.5% anything over $1,000

New rate - 9% flat rate, capped at $50

Last edited:
Right now the rate goes down the higher the price but if they go ahead with their insane rate increase on April 1st it will be a flat rate.
Currently a $1,700 sale would cost you $46.81 in final value fee. After April 1st it will skyrocket to $153. Ebay has gone off the deep end !

Current rate - 8.75% up to $25, 3.5% from $25.01 to $1000 then 1.5% anything over $1,000

New rate - 9% flat rate

actually that information is not right....

when the new rates take effect , all items sold at auction will have a flat 9% final value fee , BUT there is a $50 cap per item so the actual increase in the FVF for a $1700 sale would be just $3.19

also , the FVF's are NOT changing on fixed price listings - only auction items - so the numbers won't change on items sold that way

if said items is sold via fixed price listings , the rate will be tiered
12% of the first $50 ($6)
6% from 50.01 - 1000.00 ($57)
2% of any amount over $1000 ($14 based on the $1700 sale in your example)

that makes the current (and future) FVF for a $1700 fixed price listing $77

Good Grief ! I really need to get a sharper pencil ! First the jeopardy fiasco and now I completely forget about the $50 cap ? sheeeesh

Good Grief ! I really need to get a sharper pencil ! First the jeopardy fiasco and now I completely forget about the $50 cap ? sheeeesh

hey , it's the end of a long week....at least that's the story i'd use and stick to til the bitter end ! :D

so how did the jeopardy fiasco end ?

I guess it doesn't hurt to try selling. It's less than a dollar to list....if it sells, it sells....yeah, the fees do stink, but it's still $300-400 profit :p. I'd love to bust it, but I don't think I can afford to now :(.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Hijack Alert ! Hijack Alert !

hey , it's the end of a long week....at least that's the story i'd use and stick to til the bitter end ! :D

so how did the jeopardy fiasco end ?

I did all the math right but I only figured five categories, not six. DOH !!!

Prices for the singles are starting to level off in the past 3-4 days. Prices for the boxes, on the other hand, are continuing to climb. I think Blowout had it yesterday for $111 a box, $1700 for a case. It's unreal.

I'd hold onto it for a little while longer, but not too much longer. With the prices of the singles starting to drop, I think it's going to have a negative impact on those looking to bust it. It certainly has for me. I was fortunate to make my money back and make a profit on selling the two patches I pulled from my boxes. But, the price drop has made sure I won't be opening any more.

Just my two cents.

Steph

I woud keep it I really think prices will sky rockett with this product getting you more than 2k per case IMO

I would sell it now. As the lawsuit disappears from the headlines (it'll be a while before a ruling), I think the product will cool off. Also, as Steph mentioned, the singles are leveling off. This is going to deter the people looking to bust the case to sell the singles. A $300-$400 profit in a month sounds pretty good to me. Good luck! Jeremy

I would sell it now. As the lawsuit disappears from the headlines (it'll be a while before a ruling), I think the product will cool off. Also, as Steph mentioned, the singles are leveling off. This is going to deter the people looking to bust the case to sell the singles. A $300-$400 profit in a month sounds pretty good to me. Good luck! Jeremy

Agreed. A case just sold last night for $60 more than what I'm asking for :p. I suppose people are willing to pay from a "company" which they view as a safer purchase :p.

EDIT: Update: I ended up selling the case at a $400 profit ($300 profit after eBay/Paypal fees). The cards out of the cases have been ridiculous and it was very tempting to bust it, but in the end I think this was the better "financial" decision :p.

Anyways, in a not-so-smart "financial" decision, I'm putting the profit towards a case of 07 Exquisite Rookies baseball! I should have a case break thread up sometime next weekend :D.

Last edited: