To Collect (again) or Not...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

negreyjr

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I was just starting to get back into the hobby these past few months after a few years off (kids, house, job, etc.), and things were looking good.

But, on New Year's Day, the water main broke under the street in front of our house and flooded our basement with 4 feet of water. My entire collection -- save for the 2015 Topps Football Set & the 2012 Topps Baseball sets I am currently working on and happened to be up in my office -- were lost and totally not salvageable, and not covered by insurance.

I'm not too bothered about what was lost. I am a basic set builder, so my collection had little monetary value but alot of sentimental value (many of my older sets were from when I was a kid and my brothers, my dad and I put them together).

But, the question I've been wrestling with, is it worth it to get back into the hobby? There's little point in trying rebuild what I lost, but is it worth it to keep going? There are few things I enjoy like opening packs, sorting cards, and trading to complete a set, but I don't know if it is worth the hassle.

Should I keep going? Give it up altogether? Scale back from the four sets I usually collect each year (Topps Baseball 1, 2, Update/Highlight & Topps Football) to just Heritage Baseball?

What do you guys think?
Jeremy

Man, that sucks. The same thing happened to my brother a few years ago, and he lost most of his cards too. Personally, I don't think I'll ever outgrow the thrill of opening cards, so I keep buying all the brands you mentioned, as well as Archives, Allen & Ginter, and Stadium Club.
PM me your address or post a free trade, and I'll send you a set of Series 1, 2 and Update 2015 Topps. I bought a ton this year so I won't even miss them.
Dale

I would not give up there is no feeling like ripping that pack open and finding that gem but I do understand on the memories I still break open the old cards that I obtained and remember exactly were I got that card 30 years ago but I can't find my keys most mornings it's a tough decision but you definitely have the love and passion to collect maybe start small and see how it goes hope this helps

While I was in the Navy I kept my cards at my mother and father's house. With the amount of cards I had there was no way I was going to be able to keep them all with me. I went home on leave one time after spending about 9 months in the Adriatic Sea when the whole thing was going on over in the Czech Republic. I got home and noticed that there was a bunch of stuff missing. Everything from the 50's and early 60's was gone. A lot of the stuff was cads that my father had gotten me. Those cards were irreplaceable to me. The 1952 Topps, the near 1966 Topps set, and the Montana and Payton rookies were just a few of the big name stuff that "disappeared". I was devastated. My sister's boyfriend was slowly taking my stuff a box at a time. His mother was selling the stuff at a flea market. She said that she got 50 bucks for one box. Someone got one hell of a deal. I thought that I would never buy another card as long as I lived. But more than anything I think cards are the way some of us deal with everyday life. Getting home after a bad day at work and seeing that bubble mailer in the mail box starts to make things a little better. I would understand if you would just want to stop collecting but I think that you would miss it more than you think. Let the people here know what you lost and most of us will help you out to fill the gaps in your collection. But I also understand that the stuff that was ruined will never really be replaced.

Sorry to hear about that... I say come back and collect what brings you the most joy!

Thanks
Craig

*Bryon - Have they called off the search for the boyfriend? Tough to read that one...

Sorry to hear about that... I say come back and collect what brings you the most joy!

Thanks
Craig

*Bryon - Have they called off the search for the boyfriend? Tough to read that one...

Revenge is a dish best served cold. I will have to take the 5th on the last part of the story.

I'd say if you enjoy collecting, continue to do so. I lost most of my collection when I went to college (yup mom tossed them out) and slowly rebuilt it over the next decade.

My brother was going to Viet Nam so he brought the cards to my house and put them down cellar cards were 50's & 60's with several Ryan rookies. A pinhole water leak happened right over the cards and ruined everyone
Jack

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I've gotta say, I've really had the itch to go out and get a box of the 2016 Topps Series 1 Baseball. :)

I think I'm going to write off what was lost (which included all of my "completed" sets) and focus on finishing the few sets that survived the water. As for new stuff, I think I might scale back a bit, but I plan to jump in on the 2016 Heritage set when it comes out next month.

Hope to see you all on The Bench for some trades really soon.
Jeremy