Took A Dive In The Dumpster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

porkchops

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Well, sort of .....
A few days ago and old memory came back to me.... "baseball cards and cigar boxes."
So today I stopped in at one of those tobacco shops and asked the person behind the
counter "what do you do with the boxes after all the cigars have been sold" and her reply was
"we just throw them out." She said they go in the dumpster and I asked if I could take a look
and see if there were any there now. Sure , as long as you don't make a mess back there was her reply.
She looked at me a little funny(guess it was the first time this had ever come up) ,
I thanked her and left to walk back behind the store.
Opened the lid and sitting right on top were these ........

019_zpsc9e9879d.jpg
016_zps98837ccc.jpg
015_zpsca6cc005.jpg
009_zpsf062c41a.jpg
007_zpsef5e17b7.jpg
&
003_zps71258c5c.jpg
004_zps99a68a6a.jpg
005_zps6cfd9393.jpg
006_zpsee6d450b.jpg
Now these are what I call "Cigar Boxes" ..... nice wood , well constructed .... quite different from what I remember.
Don't know anything about cigars , but the boxes have come a long way :D
Ken

Back when I started collecting I used to keep some in cigar boxes. They were all basically thick cardboard. Later on, I moved on to shoeboxes. I still have a Reebok box withsome oversized cards form the 1980s.

I started a cigar habit in college and noticed the upgrade to the wooden boxes. I suspect that if you stored cards in them they would eventually take on the tobacco smell from the cigars. I liked that smell, but I am not sure I would want my Mike Schmidt rookie to have that smell.

No doubt about it the "aroma" is noticable .... I'll have to let them sit outside for awhile ......... lid up !
Anyone know what kind of wood is used in cigar boxes ?
Also , I imagine a box of the "Liga Privada No.9" (24 CT) are quite expensive ?

No doubt about it the "aroma" is noticable .... I'll have to let them sit outside for awhile ......... lid up !
Anyone know what kind of wood is used in cigar boxes ?
Also , I imagine a box of the "Liga Privada No.9" (24 CT) are quite expensive ?

Being a high end cigar the wood is most likely Cedrela Odorata o tree that's only real use is cigar boxes. A full box will run around $330 an empty box around $3.

Being a high end cigar the wood is most likely Cedrela Odorata o tree that's only real use is cigar boxes. A full box will run around $330 an empty box around $3.
Thanks for the info ...... "Mucho Dinero" for sure .....
guess that's what they mean by "It's not just a cigar , it's a SMOKE!!!"

If you are handy check out the Guitar World site. They show how to build a cigar box guitar out of it. Saw a junk yard band once and one of the guys was playing one. They did sound pretty good for what they are.