Review Topps High Tek Baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdjstuff

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Topps High Tek Baseball

One pack per box - 8 cards - one on card auto

I received these:

img165_zps736b8ad0.jpg

3 base - Clemens, Sale, Pedroia

Variations

img166_zpsbc48c6b6.jpg

Mussina, Goldschmidt, Pendleton

I have seen sooooo many descriptions for these... your guess is as good as mine - swirl, brick, grid...

Tektonics

img167_zps6580d6d1.jpg

Goldschmidt #ed to 50

Auto

img168_zps84853334.jpg

Ron Gant

For sake of the review - I LOVE ACETATE CARDS!! These frustrate me! Only 8 cards in a mini box - boxes in O'do going for $60+. One does get one auto per box, but RON GANT - as a Cardinal - not a Brave????

I also have to admit, I have been wanting this issue and been looking forward to this issue to come back out since I first saw them years ago.

When Tek first came out, there were Tek master set builders. The Tek cards were each numbered 1 thru 20 (maybe 25) each number was the same pattern - for the Rays fans out there, card # 44 would have 20-25 patterns, and pattern #14 was the same on each of the cards, so if one wanted to collect just pattern #14 - it was possible. I have no idea how many different variations there are of each card - ice, cracked ice, brick, swirl, gold parallels, various Tektonic parallels, etc.... good luck in putting this master set together.... Be careful to look for numbering on the cards, some numbering is done on the reverse and some on the front....

Sorry, I digress. I still like the cards very much and have picked up a box or 3 of them as well as a few lots on the 'bay. I like the printing technology, the look of the card, and the feel of the card.

I like the on card auto - well done. I do wish that all of the autos were current players.

Overall grade B --- need more cards in the box and a better pattern numbering system.

Go buy several boxes and send the Rays to me - still need a Longoria auto from this issue!! (Hey, I do have the FORMER Ray - who can't write - Myers.... what the heck are my Rays doing - dismantling the entire team - must be emulating the Buccaneers! )

Duane

Last edited:
Excellent review --- Would like to stake claim to the Goldschmidts

On cardboard connection they give a detailed breakdown on the all the variations apparently Topps was too busy and didn't
bother to number the cards

What exactly is acetate and why is it such a big deal? I do think they look cool but wasn't into collecting back in the 90s when the original set came out. I have noticed a lot of the players in the set are pictured in uniforms that you wouldn't think of when you think of that player (Gant for example).

By the way where do you live in Florida? I'm just north of Tampa in Land O Lakes and moved here a couple of months ago. I don't know what the Rays are doing but Price, Maddon, Hellickson, Myers, Joyce...what's next??? Don't get me started on the Bucs they are beyond terrible. I was at the Bengals/Bucs game in person sadly to say!

What exactly is acetate and why is it such a big deal? I do think they look cool but wasn't into collecting back in the 90s when the original set came out. I have noticed a lot of the players in the set are pictured in uniforms that you wouldn't think of when you think of that player (Gant for example).

By the way where do you live in Florida? I'm just north of Tampa in Land O Lakes and moved here a couple of months ago. I don't know what the Rays are doing but Price, Maddon, Hellickson, Myers, Joyce...what's next??? Don't get me started on the Bucs they are beyond terrible. I was at the Bengals/Bucs game in person sadly to say!

Acetate is clear plastic cards.... I just like them. I live in Orlando.

Duane

Duane, not sure I'm liking this issue. I remember the first year with 90 players and 90 different cards in the regular set. 8100 cards. Also had difractors of each card. That was a challenge. Thanks for the report. A little to rich for me. Butch