Traded my Ohtani RCs today at the LCS now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dashcol

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I traded ten Ohtani RCs to the LCS today (and a little cash) to get some new boxes. I wasn’t into the Ohtani’s for nearly what I got for them, and I kept my favorite 3 so that was a plus. The highest value one was a 2018 Topps Chrome #150 Refractor, so with the cash probably about $750 worth.

Here’s what I got:
2x 2021 Topps Jo Addel RCs
1x 2021 Topps Christian Pache RC
1x 2021 Topps Giants Team card vintage stock /99
1x 2021 Topps Franmil Reyes Independence Day /76
1x 2011 Bowman Chrome Freddie Freeman RC

1x 2017 In the Game Hockey box
1x 2019 Archives Baseball Hobby box
1x 2021 Immaculate baseball box

The singles were pretty much just add ons, but the Freeman is a nice one.
The Hockey box is for my wife, and could have some HUGE pulls in it. All memorabilia cards, and only 5. She will open this later. Good luck to her!

I am torn on what to do with my boxes. I am think with the Archives, maybe I keep it sealed and hope Tatis and Vlad Jr continues to thrive and the box skyrockets in value.
The Immaculate box scares me. It is very high risk high reward. I almost want to just sell it, and I will be about even with what I have invested and then keep everything else as free. Or I could open it and hit something absolutely huge. My luck tells me it will all be $1-2 cards though and nothing worth while.

What would you guys do?

Honestly? If you're looking for ROI, I wouldn't open the boxes. The 2019 box for sure will almost certainly continue to go up in value... but once you open it you're stuck with what you get for better or worse. Immaculate even bigger risk at this point until a few more years to see if any of this rookie class pans out.

If you are in the black from the Ohtani deal regardless and just want some fun and won't sweat it if there's no hits, then rip away.

I look at ripping as entertainment value... sometimes I over-spend but in general I'm not expecting any return. Happy when I hit, but no big deal when I (most often) don't. My 2 cents fwiw

Honestly? If you're looking for ROI, I wouldn't open the boxes. The 2019 box for sure will almost certainly continue to go up in value... but once you open it you're stuck with what you get for better or worse. Immaculate even bigger risk at this point until a few more years to see if any of this rookie class pans out.

If you are in the black from the Ohtani deal regardless and just want some fun and won't sweat it if there's no hits, then rip away.

I look at ripping as entertainment value... sometimes I over-spend but in general I'm not expecting any return. Happy when I hit, but no big deal when I (most often) don't. My 2 cents fwiw
I am definitely a collector first, I only “flip” cards to get stuff for the PC. I am addicted to opening packs, but the only non vintage sets I still keep is Heritage.
I too am okay if I don’t hit a big card, it’s nice because I can turn it into several mid end cards I need for my sets. I like to collect the new rookies, but usually grow tired of them which is what happened with the Ohtani’s, but I never grow tired of my T206 cards, Mantles, HOF rookies etc. So, I open packs to scratch the itch, and then trade the modern for the vintage I actually want.
I don’t necessarily care about ROI, but if I can sit on the box and have it be $500 next year instead of $300 it is right now, then I do that. Prices are coming down though, so it may be only $200 next year.
Including the cash I gave, I am only into the stuff I got for $350, which is less than the box of immaculate alone.

I would be in analysis paralysis, like you. I would to trade for your Freeman card if it's available f/t, LMK, thanks, Rooster.
I ended up ripping both boxes because I am a degenerate gambler! Definitely was on the losing end, but still a couple cool cards, just not worth what I could have sold the boxes for. Oh well, boxes are meant to be opened not saved.
As for the Freeman RC, I will let you know if I decide to trade it. It is my only Freeman RC, but I may be willing to do something with it.

What did you get? Can't leave us hanging haha :p
Like I said, nothing Earth shattering.... I should have sold the Immaculate box and broke even, then opened the Archives box and been more happy with what I got! Oh well, the Immaculate cards are still awesome looking cards!

2019 Archives box
Pretty brutal, but both Vlad RCs out of the box isn't bad, would have liked to get a Tatis as well, but Eloy isn't too bad.

Eloy RC #171
Eloy SP RC #321
Vlad Jr RC #14
Vlad Jr SP RC #324
Paul DeJong Gold SP #287
Harrison Bader Purple #71 008/175
Vladimir Guerrero Expos Insert #MTL-VG GREEN 18/99
Cookie Rojas Fan Favorites Auto
Gorman Thomas Fan Favorites Auto PURPLE 071/150

2021 Immaculate box
Should have sold this. I did get better cards than the 2021 Museum Collection box I broke for the same price so theres that, but still not worth the $400 price tag.

I like the tins, so Ialways consider that a little added bonus for th money, so there's at least that.

Noah Syndergaard one color jersey 45/99
Ryan Weathers Triple Relic Rookie auto 63/99
Alejandro Kirk Rookie Patch Auto 37/85
Rookie Patch Auto Jersey Number #114 Sam Huff (redemption) BOO!
Evan White patch (nice looking patch) 5/7
Estevan Florial Rookie Patch Auto (awesome patch) 01/10