TTM Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMBfan

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
I am thinking about starting to send a few jerseys through the mail to get signed. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm thinking of using two large padded envelopes to send there and as the return envelope. I wasn't sure how much it would cost. I know that I can get it weighed at the post office but I wanted to see if anyone here has done this before and had any feedback that they would be willing to share. Thanks for the time.

I've never done it but I think it's too risky.

Can you afford to have the jersey never make it back to you?
Is the player willing to deal with shipping such a large package?

Last edited:
I've never done it but I think it's too risky.

Can you afford to have the jersey never make it back to you?
Is the player willing to deal with shipping such a large package?

I've been doing TTM for over 20 years and I completely understand the risk. Yes, I would be willing to take the risk due to the potential payoff due to the intent of my use for the jerseys after they are signed. The second question I can't answer. That is the reason that I am asking for advice from others. I have seen other collectors who have sent jerseys to be signed and have received them back. If I decide to do this, I will keep everyone here posted on my successes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always sent a letter to the athlete first asking permission to send large/bulky items- mini helmets, 16 x 20s, footballs, etc. If they say it's okay, then your chance at a positive result skyrockets. But I always package securely- boxes within boxes, with the return box addressed, stamped, etc. I include a roll of tape too for them to seal it with. I don't think you should send a jersey in a padded mailer- just by feel you know it's something wearable, and that alone might get it stolen, especially if its addressed to an athlete.
My rule of thumb is to eat the cost of shipping safely rather than eat the cost of stolen or "lost" items.

BoomerSooner, Thanks for the input and advice. Very helpful. I may start out with sending permission letters and then go from there. Great idea that I hadn't thought about doing. Thanks again.

BoomerSooner, Thanks for the input and advice. Very helpful. I may start out with sending permission letters and then go from there. Great idea that I hadn't thought about doing. Thanks again.

You're very welcome, I hope it works out great for you! Remember to show them off here if it's sucessful!

I wanted to update this thread to let all of you know how I've made out. First, some background information. I am on the Board of Directors for a non-profit that is dedicated to providing home repairs/remodels/modifications for disabled military veterans at no cost to the veterans or their families. Every year we have a golf tournament with a silent auction to raise money for the cause. The past few years I've gotten photos signed to donate to the auction. This past year, I started with the idea of getting jerseys signed. So this was the first year that I did this. Here are the players that have signed jerseys for me to use for the silent auction:

Phil Niekro on a Braves jersey w/ HOF year and career wins
Rollie Fingers on an A's jersey w/ HOF year
Rocky Bleier on a Steelers jersey w/ Super Bowl years
Bobby Clarke on a Flyers jersey
Jim McMahon on a Bears jersey w/ Super Bowl year
Joe Theismann on a Redskins jersey w/ Super Bowl year and MVP year
Y.A. Tittle on a 49ers jersey w/ HOF

I still have all of these except for the McMahon jersey. That was the only one that sold at the silent auction. If anyone is interested in purchasing any of these, please let me know. All of the money will go directly to the non-profit. I can provide more information if needed/wanted. Thank you to all of you for helping me get this started.