Upper Deck to copy Topps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHauch

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I see Upper Deck is coming out with it's version of A&G. Here is a review of it:

http://sports.upperdeck.com/collectorszone/productpreview.aspx?aid=6162

I was wondering what everyone thought of it and if you planned on buying any of this product.

I myself will probably pick up a box of it. Not sure how easy it will be to get the set as they have Short Prints and Super Short Prints.

Let me know your thoughts,

Ron

It's not like they're actually DOING an Allen & Ginter set, so I don't really see this as copying Topps. It not like when they'd actually flat out stolen Topps designs in the past. But, yeah, no imagination went into this.

Looks interesting- Ill definitely pick some up

Also, Tristar is doing a set which seems to include minor leaguers and retired players based on the old Obak design. Seems like everyone is hopping on the turn of the century bandwagon

isn't Goudey supposed to be Upper Deck's answer to A&G? Seems like beating a dead horse to me.

Isn't anyone else tired of retro designs? I like retro, but enough is enough.

isn't Goudey supposed to be Upper Deck's answer to A&G? Seems like beating a dead horse to me.

Isn't anyone else tired of retro designs? I like retro, but enough is enough.

Goudey could have been an answer to Topps or Bowman Heritage as well, but yeah I agree.. there's been too many retro designs lately.

Topps Heritage
Bowman Heritage
Goudey
Goodwin
A&G
Turkey Red
.. just to name a few.

Another set I will probably pass on. All of the SPs sets have really detered me from buying stuff. I am/was primarily a set builder but of years past they are either the same 90-100 players in every set or so many SPs it is just not worth the effort. And I don't really care for all of the outside baseball stuff in baseball products. Americana, Donruss Threads, etc are a better venue for those items as I buy baseball cards for baseball cards. But that is just me. Still, I hope everyone that purchases some of the products pulls their fair share of decent cards.

Dewayne

I bought two boxes and am planning on doing the set with the regular short prints, but not the super short prints.

As others have mentioned, the short printing of cards really turns me off. UD really screwed the pooch with the SPs in last year's Masterpieces, and I'm not really all that optimistic that they won't with Goodwin.

Horse hair and amazing insects!!! Yeeow!!
I think those horse hair cards could be pretty cool! I was skeptical until I saw the Secretariat Silk relic in Sport Kings...became the top card in the set

Looks interesting- Ill definitely pick some up

Also, Tristar is doing a set which seems to include minor leaguers and retired players based on the old Obak design. Seems like everyone is hopping on the turn of the century bandwagon
Yep, those banner ads on beckett.com sure make it enticing! :D