Variations - 1996 Stadium Club Silver Foil variation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I can't say I am really good at spotting these variations, but those that involve my player collections are typically spotted easier or I learn about them eventually. I don't believe I was actively aware of this, but was just sorting Dodger cards out and came across the 1996 Stadium Club cards with silver foil. Nothing else is different between the two cards, except they either have gold or silver foil. It appears the silver foil may be tougher, because I had 2 golds and 1 silver of the subject I was sorting (Brett Butler) and checked my Frank Thomas collection and found no silvers, but numerous golds.

Is anyone familiar with why this variation exists? Was one a factory set or special issue? I am not planning to chase these per se, but I would not be opposed to tracking down more Dodgers (if I don't already have more...only into the Bs so far) and it is also nice to know as much as you can about these cards for reference.

I have 6 different variations of the Todd Hundley card in the 96 TSC set:

gold foil
silver foil
members only stamp
gold,silver,bronze extreme player (redemption) sets.

I can't say I am really good at spotting these variations, but those that involve my player collections are typically spotted easier or I learn about them eventually. I don't believe I was actively aware of this, but was just sorting Dodger cards out and came across the 1996 Stadium Club cards with silver foil. Nothing else is different between the two cards, except they either have gold or silver foil. It appears the silver foil may be tougher, because I had 2 golds and 1 silver of the subject I was sorting (Brett Butler) and checked my Frank Thomas collection and found no silvers, but numerous golds.

Is anyone familiar with why this variation exists? Was one a factory set or special issue? I am not planning to chase these per se, but I would not be opposed to tracking down more Dodgers (if I don't already have more...only into the Bs so far) and it is also nice to know as much as you can about these cards for reference.

Yeah these are reasonably common. I forget specifically how they were issued but they are tougher than the multicolor foils.

Gold - regular retail packs
Silver - factory sets - also known as Mickey Mantle Cereal Box cards as the factory set was issued in what looked like small cereal boxes featuring Mantle.