Vintage/Grading Help Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrewcstein

MVP
5.00 star(s)
My nephew came across a few vintage cards and asked me for some help. Now, I turn that help request over to everyone here.

I don't do much vintage at all, so I'm not too sure what sort of condition to expect from them. These seem sort of rough to me, but it never hurts to ask. Basically, he wants to know what sort of value to expect on them, and if it's even worth getting them graded. I tried scanning them with a little border around the sides, so you could see a little more of the edges and borders. I know there are flaws with all of them, and if they were newer cards, I wouldn't even ask about grading, but I know vintage is a different ballgame.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1969 Reggie RC (#1 of 2)
reggie1.jpg

Reggie1back.jpg

1969 Mantle:
Mantle.jpg

Mantleback.jpg

1969 Reggie (#2 of 2) - pretty dinged up corner
Reggie2.jpg
reggie2back.jpg

Grading:

Andrew:
There a different standards in grading. One of the common ones is Mark Wing's, (a member of The Bench) which can be forund at :
http://www.markwing.com/baseball/conditionguide.php

Another is the one found in the monthly Beckett.

Once you establish the grading (or a range) then you need to apply a percentage for cards that are not NMT (the usual pricing guide condition for high BV)
According to Beckett cards between 1960-80 price as follows:
MT: 250+%
NRMT-MT:125-200%
NRMT: 100%
EX-MT: 40-60%
EX:20-40%
VG:10-20%
G/F/P:5-10%

Based on the scans, I would say that, in my opinion these cards are in the VG range. Some are at the lower end of that range.

Of course, much of this is subjective and other members will certainly have different opinions.

In my opinion, the cards are not worth having graded.

Hope this helps and also that you get some insight from other members to guide you.

Frank

I think they're a little better condition than Boots but still not worth grading. The mantle might have been but the wax? gum? marks knocks it out imo.

When I sell vintage cards I state my opinion for overall grade but I also list their attributes, good and bad.

Any vintage regular issue Mantle card is worth grading. My guess is that it is in the range of a PSA 3. The Jackson's are on the low end of the PSA 3 range in my opinion.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I should point out he doesn't collect cards at all, so he's just looking to unload these, and with grades that low, it might not be worth paying the money to get them graded...although, yes, it is a Mantle :)

I'd say the first Reggie is probably around a 4 or so, the Mantle might get that but probably a 3.5 in a BGS slab. The bottom Reggie is pretty bad for grading, wouldn't even fool with it. That being said, if he is just looking to sell them I wouldn't worry about grading them.

I'd say the first Reggie is probably around a 4 or so, the Mantle might get that but probably a 3.5 in a BGS slab. The bottom Reggie is pretty bad for grading, wouldn't even fool with it. That being said, if he is just looking to sell them I wouldn't worry about grading them.

Agreed

High quality pic and good description is all you need.