What is renable time for marking trade received ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom szczygiel

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I have a question regarding trades on the Bench. When you trade with someone why does it take some collectors 2 weeks to mark as received.I know they are not on vacation as I still see them Posting on the Bench.
What is resonable time ?
nterested in amy opinions. Tom
[email protected]

tom,
i am on the road a ton. similarly, i am sure many other traders have internet access, yet cannot get to their mail until a week or so later. many people have other things going on other than trading. i'm sure if you're respectful of their schedules, they'll eventually mark as "received."

I know sometimes I forget and then when I look in the TM later I think the other trader hasn't marked it as received. It never hurts to send a friendly reminder through PM.

I have experienced that myself from time to time, although it really doesn't bother me much. I sometimes need to send a reminder PM to have them mark it so the trade can be closed out.

Common courtesy would dictate that the person mark it as soon as possible after it was received. If that means they need a few more days due to computer access or whatever, that should be fine. The trade duration though should not be used to consider whether or not a trader sends quickly, as you obviously have no control over that part if it's sent quickly. Not sure that can even be seen other than in scores and that is a whole other ball game. If a trader like that is grading based on when they mark a trade received rather than when the item arrived, then that would be a major problem with that trader and a breakdown of the rating system.

Considering that trading is the main purpose of this site,
I always mark a trade received as soon as possible.I feel
that the other person should be able to know that his/her
end arrived safe and sound.
If your away,but still have access to a computer and drop
in,a PM isn't a bad idea.
I'm guessing some people receive but wait to mark it till the
other trader receives and marks it as such.
:confused:
Ken

i have trades nearly two years old that havent been marked "received." i sent a pm and thats all i can do.

Last edited:
If you are looking to pinpoint a time frame, I would say 1 week AFTER RECEIPT is more than enough time to mark a trade. Anything after that is laziness or just plain unacceptable behavior, unless something dramatic or unexpected is hindering the member. For example, you might pardon someone who had a recent death in the family (as long as it was legit and not the old ebay excuse of the day) or if they had some serious computer issues, although these days it's hard not to find a way to communicate still regardless. Life stops for nothing, except death.

Things like this can be discussed between traders before a trade is made, just after or even well after. There is no excuse for just letting something sit and sit w/o action!

I'll usually go with 7-10 old fashion business rule,.
Mailers will hit in three days,..and priorities always rule,.
I don't flip cards alot so time for me is a luxuary when trading,.,.during the Summer peeps can be on vaca,..things happen too.
My rules,.

2 Weeks a PM is coming,..
3 Weeks with no response,..BT click,.

Clint

PS,.There are some really great traders in this site,and the Mods have been doing their best and doing a good job in my opinion,.The site is growing still,..

I normally wait about 12 days before using the pm system. Have to be careful about people posting....because they may be on vacation....so that can't check their mail.....but they can still post! Going on vacation labor day....mail will be placed on hold at my post office for at least 6 days. Best regards, David

I know it can be frustrating, but people's schedules can be pretty unpredictable. I'm a firefighter for the US Forest Service and and usually called and expected to leave with in hours. I've gone to Alaska on two hours notice for 15 days, and to Katrina for the hurricane for 30 +. In fact I just got back from a fire an hour ago that I was gone for 4. I guess the important thing is that the other party knows the possibility.

Do you know for sure that they have received the item? I've had stuff take 2 weeks from the post mark on the package before it arrived and that was from a trader who only lived 2 hours from me!