What is the best strategy for getting the most $$ for a rare card (Jed Lowrie)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
I have the 2008 Bowman Chrome SuperFractor of Jed Lowrie on its way to me with a 9.5 BGS grade.

Considering he's the hottest player in the league right now on a high profile team I was thinking now might be the best time to sell. But I really want to make a big profit on the card so I can rationalize giving away my favorite card by telling myself it was an investment.

How can I get MME (Maximum Money Extraction) for this card? Post it for a ridiculous BIN on the Bay with a Best Offer?

So it's your favorite card, but you don't have it yet, and you are already making plans to sell it?

Right now I feel like I do when I watch MTV. I'm old.
Richard

I actually know he owns it and is waiting on it to return from grading it is a sweet looking card.

Considering it is 3 years removed from his 2005 rookie cards, I'd save myself the disappointment of not getting the super-high price you need.

You gave up a lot for it, and you say it is your favorite card.

KEEP IT!:)

Tim

Would probably fetch around $200- if it was his RC from 05, it would be MUCH higher-
Best of luck!

@Dilfer - I actually did get to slobber over it for a couple of months and gaze upon its beauty every night before bed. I'm just waiting on it to return from Beckett.

Guys - yeah, you're right. His 2005 is far and away more sought after. I don't think that it makes a diff that it is from three years after his 2005 issue, but it is definitely not seen as his true RC like his 2005. I was hoping the grade would turn some heads w/ deep pockets.

@David - I think that's exactly what I'll try.

@Dilfer - I actually did get to slobber over it for a couple of months and gaze upon its beauty every night before bed. I'm just waiting on it to return from Beckett.

Guys - yeah, you're right. His 2005 is far and away more sought after. I don't think that it makes a diff that it is from three years after his 2005 issue, but it is definitely not seen as his true RC like his 2005. I was hoping the grade would turn some heads w/ deep pockets.

@David - I think that's exactly what I'll try.

Just keep in mind that the high grades are sometimes viewed as a way to weed out the rougher copies of a card, or to make certain copies of a card more rare. Since the card you have is already 1/1.....a BGS 9.5 makes it no more rare than if it had come back a BGS 8.

It makes for really nice condition, but if it is the only copy in the world.....who is going to be looking at the 9.5 more than the 1/1?

Tim

I'm hijacking my own topic here, but I'll counter that point.

I cannot deny that it being the only copy in the world is what potential buyers will be looking at, but I believe a favorable grade can help de-mystify what condition the card is in and that people are generally willing to pay more for a card with a favorable grade even if there is no BV on the card. Probably because that's how I am.

This is one of the things that is going wrong with this hobby. You have a card you say is your favorite and you want to sell it? How can it be your favorite? I pulled a Nolan Ryan auto from the Topps Archives stuff back in 04 or 05. I have never contemplated parting with it. Not a player on my favorite team but definitely someone I loved as a player so I am keeping it.

Thanks,

Jeff

If your looking to sell it do it now. I dont know whats going on with this guy but did you just hear about Reyes popping up on the trading block??? Im sure Lowrie may be one of the guys to go to New York if this is gonna happen.

This is one of the things that is going wrong with this hobby. You have a card you say is your favorite and you want to sell it? How can it be your favorite? I pulled a Nolan Ryan auto from the Topps Archives stuff back in 04 or 05. I have never contemplated parting with it. Not a player on my favorite team but definitely someone I loved as a player so I am keeping it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Because the fun I can have with the money > the fun I can have with the card. I could turn that money into a whole handful of cards I love. Or maybe put it towards a new television.

I'm not sure you can blame the hobby for this in as much as the participants within the hobby. Those of us who grew up collecting cards purely for the fun of it, with the $$$ values being secondary or becoming more important as time passed, see this differently than someone who started collecting in the era of 1/1s, flipping prospects and such.

I could not possibly consider a card of a guy who is 27 years old, has a .267 lifetime BA (sure he is flirting with .400 now, but it's still April!) and has played all of just over a full MLB seasons worth of games worthy of favorite card status. That is just me, not to say others couldn't find this easier to do. I would guess favorite equates as much to the potential value than of the card itself.

To each their own. I'd sell that thing as fast as I could to turn a profit or to break even. I am not a prospector, not will I ever be. Not worth the risk to me.

Thanks,

Jeff