What Should I Pay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbacknate

Pro
4.90 star(s)
Hey everyone, a friend has a box of old cards with roughly 300 random cards in it from 2000-1950. Nothing special, just random cards. What should I pay. I don’t want to rip him off but I wanna get a good deal as well. Thanks in advance.

My advice would be come up with a figure you are comfortable with paying and then ask him what he wants for it. If the asking price is over your amount, then you can counter or just walk away. With it being random cards from these years, you could end up with the majority of them being from the years the card manufacturers all got greedy and produce a bizzilion of every card. Good luck with whatever you decide.

A random price would nicely match that random description. How about $8.07?

You can't possibly expect someone to give you solid advice on a price without knowing what they are pricing, do you? 50 year gap in the years mentioned, but for all we know, there is 1 1950 Bowman card and the rest are 1999-2000 Topps commons. Even then, it would still be a best guess based on the bulk of the cards being overproduced garbage. Are they beat up or well maintained? Are there any stars or semistars? How about high numbers? SPs? How many fall into the dreaded 1988=1993 range? What is the breakdown of years, brands? Any inserts or autographs? What is your end goal? To keep them, flip them or something else?

Your best bet is to inventory the box and then either seek help with more detailed information or just price it where the two of you agree and hope that both of you are getting a good deal.

I would try to find out what's in the lot as mrmopar said. This wouldn't go very well on ebay at all. Not without more specific information. If I were the seller I would let you know what the best cards are. If there was anything of value, I think the seller would be shouting from the rooftops.

Hey everyone, a friend has a box of old cards with roughly 300 random cards in it from 2000-1950. Nothing special, just random cards. What should I pay. I don’t want to rip him off but I wanna get a good deal as well. Thanks in advance.
I would count up all his cards then offer him 1 to 2 cents per card but I wouldn't go over 3 cents unless you can find set builders who need any of those cards on her.

Thanks everyone! The person selling is my friend, but he does not know anything about cards and does not want to inventory them cause of time. He wants 40 bucks because there are “shiny” ones.

Even "shiny" cards can be 3-penny commons. If that's the case, you'd be buying yourself five bucks worth of stuff no one else wants.