What to do? Update 01/08 Purchase Made

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kycardkid

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
So I got a couple of eBay gift cards for Christmas totaling $150.00. In addition I have begun selling the Kris Bryant and Carlos Correa cards I had been picking up here and there since the beginning of this past baseball season, only because there was money to be made and I primarily collect vintage. So with the proceeds I am looking to invest in something super nice that I could not normally afford. I have only been afforded this opportunity a couple of other times in my adult life.

So if you guys had to choose one card between the two which would you pick:

1953 Topps Mickey Mantle #82

or

1955 Topps Roberto Clemente RC?

Either I get will be low grade, but I mainly look for eye appeal anyway. Which one would you pick?

Last edited:
I would take the Mantle. He is the king of the modern era of cards. He always has been and always will be. I have never heard of a Mantle card going down in value. While the Clemente will most likely never go down, especially the rookie, I personally would still take the Mantle card.

Well my conundrum is this my two primary collecting focuses are HOF Rookies and Vintage Mickey Mantle. I will probably never afford the Mantle Rookie or the 1952 Topps, so the 53 is probably the best Mantle I could acquire. On the other hand, the Clemente is my current White Whale of my HOF rookie collection because many of the Biggie's before that like the Mantle, Mays, etc. are out of reach for me. I appreciate the input thus far gentleman. Decisions, decisions.........

I have never cared all that much for Mantle. I always felt that he was overhyped in the collectible game. I have some of his cards, but it was more about the eye appeal for me rather that value/price. I also don't necessarily like the 53 portraits either. I have a 56 Topps Mantle, which remains my favorite Mantle card image and the oldest Mantle I own and probably will ever own.

I would probably pick the 55 Clemente over a 53 Mantle myself. However, the 56 set is better looking for me, hence I have the 56 Clemente and not a 55.

Can't go wrong with either one, but I think my vote would be with the Clemente card, the RC aspect being the deciding factor.

If it was my PC, I would pick Clemente. If I was looking at it less than a PC card and more for future selling, trading, and appealing to collectible market in general, I would go Mantle.

I appreciate the input folks. I am gonna sit around and wait for the right one to come along and maybe here in the next few weeks I will make a decision. Which ever I get, I will be sure to come back and post a pic. Thanks again.

I'm leaning Clemente RC. You can't go wrong with either choice though! Whatever you decide, I'd go with something graded by PSA. That way you know what you're getting hasn't been altered.

Thanks
Craig

So I made my purchase last night, and I ended up not getting either of the cards I had originally been looking at. I ended up making a little bit more money and aimed higher.

Mays%20RC_zpsk4by2jzy.jpg

I never thought I would own this card. I only wish I had bought one 5-10 years ago and gotten a higher grade, but I digress. This officially became tied for my #1 along with my Aaron RC.

So I made my purchase last night, and I ended up not getting either of the cards I had originally been looking at. I ended up making a little bit more money and aimed higher.

Mays%20RC_zpsk4by2jzy.jpg

I never thought I would own this card. I only wish I had bought one 5-10 years ago and gotten a higher grade, but I digress. This officially became tied for my #1 along with my Aaron RC.

Very nice, where did you end up getting it from?

If you are going to go rogue and stray away from your original thought of Mantle or Clemente - this is certainly a great direction to go. Nice choice, great card!

Thanks guys. Really,really stoked about it. I got it on eBay. The weird part was that it was not showing up in a general search. It actually showed up in suggested items when I was looking at an SGC 1, which was REALLY rough. There was also a PSA 1 with a (MC) qualifier and that one was basically lacking an entire left hand border. After looking at sales trends on the Internet and compared to what people were asking at COMC and various other places for the same card, with general less eye appeal than this one I think I did pretty well.