whats a good price to pay for bulk commons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superpieman

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
the title pretty much says it all. ive seen alot on craigslist and a few people on here talking about buying bulk lots of commons for 4-8 dollars per 5000 count box. for people that did that how well did that work? i wouldnt mind buying 5000 count boxes that cheap and putting together team/player lots to make a few bucks. my question is whats a good price i was thinkin like 8 bucks per 5000t box of 2000-present cards and 4 a box for 1999- older. any advice?

You going to make sets out of those or sell as singles? Either way that's going to suck down a lot of time sorting and making lists.

the plan would be to make some team/player lots and pick out the rcs and sell those off quick to make my money back and then once ive broken even and made a few bucks decide how to go about it from there.

I pay like .02 to .03 cent per.Then you have to think about shipping..Some people will sell just for shipping

.03 to .05 cents per card isn't a bad price depending on what you're getting. If you're going to get a ton of over produced late 80's or early 90's junk then you might not make your money back at that price. It would be a good idea of what you're going to get in the bulk lot before you shell out the bucks.

KHarmon

$4 for 5000 count boxes of cards? Man, I wish I could find them that cheap......the darn 5000 count boxes are worth about that. I would buy them just for the boxes, and recycle the cards, LOL.

i couldnt believe it either but i emailed a couple people on craigslist who were looking to buy cards and they were both paying in the 4-8 dollar region for 5000 ct boxes

I have wound up being extremely lucky buying bulk boxes like that, I bought an 88FL and a 90T 5000 ct box in earlys 90's before some players excelled. Wound up with 22 Sosa Rookies and 8 Glavine Rookies. Just the few I sold made up for entire lot. Used the rest for TTM and still have a few thousand left.

i couldnt believe it either but i emailed a couple people on craigslist who were looking to buy cards and they were both paying in the 4-8 dollar region for 5000 ct boxes

I wouldn't pay much more than that myself. As has been mentioned, the boxes are worth as much as the cards, maybe more. I see boxes like that that don't get the $3 opening bid at our card club shows when they do the auctions. Much more than that it gets tough unless you're just missing key rookies. Too many 'commons' lots are just that. Trying to sell Twins lots with no Santana, Mauer, Morneau, Liriano, Nathan, Thome, Hrbek, Knoblauch, Puckett, Gaetti, Viola, Brunansky, Gladden, etc and a bunch of Les Straker, Juan Berenguer, Keith Atherton, Greg Gagne, Jose Morales, Jason Repko, Ron Mahay, etc. how much can you really charge? If you need to buy the stars and rookies to make team sets, you start getting into paying $1-3 to finish a team set that'll get you $2-4, after you figure in time spent sorting and packing, you're not ahead much, if anything. Kind of like the 'near sets' How much am I going to pay for the 82 Topps set less the Ripken if I have to buy a $10-25 card to finish a set I can buy for $30?